18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2012 1:54 PM by pluto77 RSS

A new French Twist from long ago

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Many years ago I was on a mission (not for a church but for a government agency) that took me by rental car throughout Europe.  Along the way I picked up associates, both male and female, and we spent time in little villages as we headed for Brussels.  Naturally there was a lot of the French countryside that most of us had never seen, and this being before GPS and Internet, we had to read road signs and be vigilant.

One day, with just myself and a proficient French speaking colleague in our car, we got terribly lost outside Reims, about 80 miles from Paris.  We were not sightseers but we had to maintain a facade of tourists.  Being lost we fit the bill. My colleague was eager to try her French at little out of the way places we stumbled on, and had been given many chances before she fainted (Forgot to mention that she has a fear of statues that are larger than life so at the Cathedral she collapsed and fainted).  No French spoken at that point just a trip to the local medical facility and a small Brandy (for me not her).

We approached a roadside petrol station, one of the Mayberry kind, with several older men sitting in rickety chairs, watching the dust accumulate on everything and chain smoking Gauloises.  In my best cyrpto-Francais I said "Bon Jour," and they nodded.  My colleague, now fully recovered from her statue fainting episode, got of of the passenger door of the car with a road map in hand and began jabbering in what must have been excellent French.

To her surprise not mine, they listened attentively then spoke in French to me, taking the map from her hands and gesticulating about what must have been directions to our destination.  At no time did they acknowledge her speaking to them, her excellent command of the language, or that she was in my car as we pulled up.  I nodded approvingly, after declining a cigarette they offered as well as a swig from a red colored liquid in a bottle beneath their chairs.

We got back in the car and drove off, having tasted the older Frenchman's treatment of a woman who asks directions.  Our journey was a lot quieter from that point on. In Paris she stayed in her room, sulking I would imagine, and never spoke French again.  We also avoided large statuary.  I learned my lesson!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Reims, France
  • Re: A new French Twist from long ago
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Wonderful story!

Every time I pulled my car over to look at a map in Germany or France, some stranger would stop their car and try and help me!  They were very nice!  I have found that a "Navigator" (ME), is really more important than the driver, when driving thru Europe. Do NOT let someone you love try to navigate or someone who doesn't want to do it,  you will need a lawyer!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I use GPS now, all over, and most times it works!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Yes, it is worth it even if you never need it!  It's really odd how much you can use it even in your own town.

Yes and the route avoidance feature makes me appear intelligent in the eyes of my passengers too!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I seem to recall that those GPS systems in France speak French (although the lady sounds very intriguing) and you coudn't change the language to English. Can you change the GPS language now in rental cars? I can't in my personal car.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Just don't change the language on your profile on this site to Chinese!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I'm with you on that one!!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes, I remember you had problems with this before but we got you back on track from Chinese to English..this was under your previous username and my recommendation to you was to learn Chinese, which you frowned upon!!

Yes I did frown on that and still do.  Must save all of my remaining, full functioning brain cells for things that are of use to me.  Chinese is not!  But I am still thankful to you and Tryt for your heroic rescue!

Yes with the Garmin (or in French Le GPS Garmeen)you can have ze lady speak Ingles, or Espanol or even French

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Better keep this story from the eyes of the Prof.

Maybe she has already heard it? I tend to repeat myself a lot, as far as I can remember!

I'm a moron.   What was the lesson?!!!

I read that quickly and though you said you were a Mormon! The lesson is never speak French unless you know how.

Yes, I would highly recommend "The Book of Mormon" muscial!!!

Didn't you star in that?  I seem to recall some connection to you and the play.  Or was it something else?  Just wondering?

No. it was Spiderman where I played the hero!!!!

Balderdash!  I do it all the time !

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...