10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2014 12:45 PM by madmax RSS

Gateway Arch, St. Louis!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Not far from The Marriott Union Station is the tallest National Monument in The United States!  At 630 feet high, you could put the Washington Monument underneath it!  If ever destroyed, it could never be rebuilt (Supposedly OSHA rules?).  You will want to make a day of it!  There is something for all in the family.  Here are some tips if you are going thru St. Louis and have some extra time on your hands:

Located by the Mississippi River where I-64, I-70 and I-55 meet, you don't have to go out of the way to find good garage parking.  I recommend the Arch Garage for safety and closeness to The Arch.

Upon arriving, get your tickets first!  You may have a wait of hours to get to the top, so get your tickets, and then see the Museum, the grounds or enjoy a picnic.

The ride to the top is cramped, so if you don't like "Tight fits" think twice about going up.

There are many other things to enjoy on your visit to The Arch Grounds.  You have the "Old Courthouse" (Where the D. Scott case was tried), along with The Landing, famous for night life.  The Cardinal Stadium as well as Blues and Rams stadiums are within walking distance.

Here are a few pictures of the area;

IMG_2129.JPG

This is the view from near the parking lot!

IMG_2130.JPG

Here's where you get your tickets, note you will have to go thru "Airport security", so be prepared.  Likewise, the screens will let you know when you can ride to the top!

IMG_2131.JPG

The Museum entrance!

IMG_2132.JPG

Tribute to the builders of this "World Wonder"!

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2140.JPG

View looking up from the South leg of The Arch!

IMG_2141.JPG

View from The Arch Grounds, note Eads Bridge, Heli port, and Mississippi River!

Enjoy your trip, and if you have more questions, please let me know!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
  • Re: Gateway Arch, St. Louis!
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry I could not convince my wife to go with me and it was cramped but what a fantastic ride to the top!  Thanks for reminding me of that great time

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

SS,

A lot of people cannot take the small cars to the top.

Here are a few more pictures of the museum and area.  Many displays, note Thomas Jefferson Statute.  Some information about The Arch.

IMG_2136.JPGIMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2142.JPG

Note, the "Old Courthouse" in center, and just to the left is the new Federal Courthouse, Thomas F. Eagleton Federal Courthouse.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I refuse to visit the Arch until the Cubs pound the Cards for the NL Pennant. Then, and only then, will I gloat at the top of the Arch.

PP,

That is noble of you, but hasn't it been 1908 since the Cubs won the Pennant?

The Arch may not make it another 100+ years or you will be around a lot longer than the rest of us.  Good luck!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

The wound can handle no more salt, Jerry.

PP,

I am not "Rabid", like so much of the "Cardinal Nation"!

Some of these people need to "Chill"!  I am sure you know the Cubs are playing in St. Louis on Friday the 13th (A Cub Oman?).  That is the hottest ticket in town for some time!

Good luck with the Cubs this year, but the Cards do look pretty good and the "War Cry" from the Cardinal Nation is "12 in 12"!  (Meaning they want their 12th World Championship in 2012).

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

It may have rusted out by then

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

Grew up in STL and parents still living there. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

jerrycoin this post came across while I was overseas and I guess I missed it the first time around, but since barrpat resurrected it, I too enjoyed going to the top of the arch a few years back. It was an experience riding the little elevator car but a great view from the top of the city. I wasn't aware though that it was the tallest national monument so thanks for the information.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...