31 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2015 9:03 AM by bejacob Branched to a new discussion. RSS

What Is Considered a "Stay"

wildabeast Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi All,

New to this forum!  Can anyone tell me what the MR program defines as a "stay"?  I was just upgraded to Gold from Silver and in order to maintain my Gold status I have to log 6 stays between April 1 and June 30.  So is a "stay" 6 nights or 6 different reservations?

Thanks,

Cathy

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What Is Considered a "Stay"
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

6 different reservations. In other words, if you stay more than one night (say you stay three nights) that is considered 1 stay and not  three stays. Hope that helps!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

By the way, welcome to Insider's.

wildabeast Gold

Well that was quick  Thanks!  So it appears that I had better enjoy my very short stint at Gold!

Maybe another way to look at it...Possibly you could look at checking in and checking out from your room each day so they are counted as stays???

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

some hotels will automatically combine consecutive nights stayed even if you use this method to try to get around the system.......

Good advice shoeman...I have never tried that so it is better to check with the hotel before you try this method to get stays. I guess another thought here would be to stay at two separate Marriott properties and rotate back and forth each of the nights???

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

like as gypsy.....  I like it!

sramsby Gold

Marriott considers consecutive nights, One Stay, regardless of check in/check out.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

And Shoeman, I will be able to test this out next month.  I set out to make a reservation for the Ren La Defense for 5/26 - 6/1.  When I plugged those dates in, it came back with 339€ per night for all 6 nights with no rate changes.  But when I plugged in a reservation for 5/26 - 5/28, and then a separate reservation for 5/28 - 6/1, it came back with 339€/night for the first reservation, and 284€/night for the second reservation, so I made two separate reservations (not for the purpose of getting credit for two different stays, but for the purpose of getting a much better rate/night for 4 of the 6 nights).  We shall see if they count these two separate reservations as one stay or two stays (the second reservation is a pay in advance rate).  My money is that they won't credit for two separate stays, but we shall see.  I don't think I will have any bonus programs in effect during this timeframe anyway (unless they announce a new one after the one I'm currently enrolled in expires on 4/30, which I doubt), so for me I don't think it will really matter, but we'll see.

Wildabeast (and welcome to Insiders!), You have to do 6 stays to maintain your status?  Never heard of that...

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Pluto,

I hope you will enjoy this hotel as much as I have!  I know you will have a number of people and I think they will like the comfort of the area and its diversity.  If you need any specific help, let me know.  I will be staying at the Ren. AdT the week prior to your trip.  You will have a great time!

Jerry,

It looks very nice inside, and I appreciate the recommendation!  Pretty excited.  From there we move on to Venice, Florence and Rome.  But first Arizona next weekend, and back to Carmel two weeks after that.  All with FAMILY!  Tons of laughter and joy on the horizon!   Yay, it's travel season.

Best wishes to you too!  Have fun in London.  Dying to go now, thanks to Insiders (and Will and Kates wedding; ya, silly, I know, but regardless, MUST now see Westminister Abbey - So Beautiful - and all other manner of period architecture there!)

Cheerio!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Pluto, I have other Carmel and Monterey dining recommendations for that upcoming trip if you'd like them.

SS, Yes please.  Always interested in learning about good dining options on the Peninsula.  We will be there along with three of my siblings and their spouses in addition to my parents, the guests of honor for a special occasion.  I don't know where my mother has us dining on the one night (need to ask her - maybe she doesn't know yet...), but I was hoping to persuade all to dine at Inn at Spanish Bay the second night, so we'll see.  The Peninsula is a favorite destination for us poor Central Valley dwellers, so always interested in new ideas for great dining on the Peninsula, or anywhere on the Central Coast.

Thanks!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I think the best place around for the money is Pacific Grove's Passionfish, with an absolutely unbeatable wine list with low markup.  Gets busy you might want t reserve early if you want to go.

Let me think on some others

Pluto,

Will be going back to Westminster Abbey and get some pictures. 

By the way, are you driving to La Defense or RER/Metro?

You know that area can be very difficult driving.

Pictures are always great!

From CDG, we will either RER B or taxi to Gare de l'Est*, where we will be meeing our kiddo and grandkiddos arriving by TGV from KTown (Kaiserslautern).  From Gare de l'Est, we will metro to La Defense, avoiding the major hubs such as Republique, Concorde, Chatelet, etc. as there are tons of stairs to navigate with luggage and strollers (and kiddos!) at those major stations.  No, thanks to hearing about your La Defense driving experiences (and doing Google map street view, which clearly illustrates the confusion of streets and tunnels, etc. in the LD area) we will not be driving!  And I think we will be taxi taboo'ed.  No car seats, and French child vehicle restraint laws are similar to the U.S.

Traveling with littles is a total game changer, but it will be a fun adventure.  No doubt will return with some interesting and perhaps embarrassing yarns to tell!

* RER B to Gare de l'Est isn't exactly direct.  One must either get off at Gare du Nord and walk to Gare de l'est (about 600m) or transfer to metro line 5 to Gare de l'Est.  I just finished a virtual walk from Gare du Nord to Gare de l'Est on Google Maps street view, and it is doable (with luggage?  hmmm) maybe even a good 'waker upper' after sitting on a plane for 11 hours.

Pluto,

Would it make sense to call/email, or have Marriott hotline help you with what may work best for you?

Would you be better going directly and getting rid of your bags and then meeting the others and helping them with theirs?

You have one great advantage with La Defense, RER, Metro, and taxi.  You may want to see if they can arrange to have you all picked up.  It may be a little more costly, but what a "Relief".

My last trip to Ren. AdT, the concierge had us me as we got off the plane (At the door of the plane), we then went directly thru customs, got the bags and got in the back of a car and went directly to the Marriott property.  It was wonderful, and I would do it again, everytime.  Marriott does it in Paris, Hilton had no similar plan.  Remember, take it easy on all in your party, you have youth and age involved, everyone will be tired.

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

This will be interesting to find out what happens. Please let us know how this works out for reference purposes.

taxman415 Platinum

I have book many rooms using this same approach and they always count it as one stay... But I still have a few extra buck left in my pocket...

wildabeast Gold

I don't think so; it mentions that in the rules

How about staying at two separate Marriott properties and rotate back and forth each of the nights??? A little inconvenient but may help you save your Gold Status?  I think the rules do allow this??

wildabeast Gold

Yes they do allow that but it's to much of a hassle just to maintain Gold thru February of next year. 

Fair enough...just brain storming ideas with you...It is a big big inconvenience!!!

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I will humbly admit I have done the back and forth between close properties in the past just to get stays. It actually is not that big a hassle in the sense that most Marriott properties are very courteous about giving you a free shuttle hail to another Marriott property, and depending on what city you are in, it can actually be interesting and add some diversity to the trip. In my experience this is the only way to accumulate stays, and depending on your circumstance may be worth it, when you consider cost factors such as free wi-fi and breakfast for the next entire year. Since I am lifetime now, it is not something I focus on much anymore.

taxman415 Platinum

This is the best solution since you get the same number of elite nights and max out the stays to get the benefit of the summer bonus programs plus extra arrival gifts for each check in...

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This is a good idea.  I stayed at a resort for 7 nights.  Breakfast was a choice they gave me as my paltinum gift.  I commented that they gave me 1 breakfast for 7 nights, what If I made my stay into 7 1 night stays, would I then get 7 breakfasts?  They admitted YES.  The problem is that some hotels may require you to vacate the room by checkout time and be on your own till checkin time.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Sometimes I move around properties to get the separate stays, and I also like to see what the different properties are like so I know for future reference which one I would prefer.

Must be a throw back to my old days in the travel business and going on fams where we stopped at 10 properties a day, eating at a differeent one, and spending the night at a different ones for a couple of days.

sdbroker Platinum

Another way to look at it is how many nights have you been in a Marriott for a calendar year.  Here is the breakdown:

Silver10 to 49 nights
    Gold50 to 74 nights
    Platinum75 or more nights

Maybe you will maintain your Gold just by the number of nights you 'stay'...

faith_d Platinum

ramoneur Platinum

...maybe a strange question, but will it also be deemed to be a stay, when I use my points?

Context of my question is: I want my stay to be eligible as a "qualifying stay" for a Challenge program.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

A points stay is not considered a "qualifying stay."

It will count if you pay for at least one night. I had a promotion offer last year based on the number of stays and at one property I used points for two nights and paid for the third. When all was tallied up, that one paid night counted as a stay.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...