5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2012 10:20 PM by anadyr RSS

The Rio Grill, Carmel CA, USA

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This is one of three Monterey Peninsula restaurants owned and operated by the same group of folks, but Rio Grill is unique in terms of location and food choices.  Located just off Rio Road, the last intersection in Carmel proper on California highway 1, the most scenic highway in America according to some, the place is in a shopping center called The Crossroads Shopping Village. 

This is a place where you'll often need a dictionary to understand some of the more exotic ingredients, but all are fresh and tasty with a hint of spiciness.

One new addition to the menu that we've enjoyed is the crispy pork shank with red pepper-mashed potatoes, chile verde and apple-jicama slaw.  Those words I did not need to look up BTW.  Here it is on my table before I devoured it. While it had the vertical-ness that chefs seem to work hard to get, it was easily tumbled to the horizontal for eating.

rio g.jpg

Happy hour features small plates, which are ample for sharing while consuming their top shelf adult beverages. The dining rooms are reminiscent of the Ponderosa television series interiors, but there are paper table cloths and crayons for budding and established artists to ply their trade.

If you are there for lunch, maybe you can try the smoked Tri-Tip with spinach, sliced tomato, crispy shallot rings and rosemary-chile aioli.  For those not from the West Coast, Tri-Tip is a very underrated but excellent cut of beef. It is under $15 and quite good.

If you are heading south on 1 to majestic, wild Big Sur, even down to Hearst Castle, I would recommend that you try this place. To get there, make a left at the light at Rio Road and then take the second right into the Shopping Village. Rio Grill is just inside the Crossroads on the left, has ample parking and a great staff. 

I rated this place fairly high for Zagat last year- and I am not that generous with my scores (or popular at some places that know that I have rated for them either).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Point Lobos State Reserve, CA, USA
  • Re: The Rio Grill, Carmel CA, USA
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Your picture has made me hungry..Guess I will go make myself a peanut butter sandwich!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Do not forget the jicama!

jep2020 Gold 1 Reviews

Jas

You can get freshly ground peanut butter, you grind it yourself, right down the street from Rio at the Cornucopia health food store.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Tough to go there from Orlando, but am on my way!!!!

Or do it yourself at home!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...