4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2012 11:02 AM by pluto77 RSS

MR: Random Electronic Notices, Musings, etc.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Safe to assume that I wasn't the only one to be greeted today with this astounding proclamation: Good news! You have enough points for 5 Free Nights at any Category 4 hotel ???

That's all very nice, except that, well, I actually have enough points for a month at any Category 4 hotel....   Is it only me, or does it seem like - if someone is going to take the time to program an electronic notice to some Marriott Rewards members but not others, they ought to spend another 15 minutes and customize it or code it appropriately?  Granted, I'm not an IT professional or a web designer, but I'm pretty confident that, if they can figure out how to blast an email notice to all Marriott Rewards members with 80,000 points or more in their accounts, they can also customize it into bands (e.g., at least 80,000 points but not more than x points).  On the other hand,  what they said is true, and it's simple to send the same notice to everyone.

My boys tell me that some mornings I wake up and act like a cranky old man.  Maybe today is one of those days - sorry about that.  So, if you were happy to receive your notification that you, too, have enough points for 5 Free Nights at any Category 4 hotel, I hope I didn't diminish the luster on your day.  And, now, to end on a more positive note, see here for some Insiders' takes on their favorite Category 4 hotels: https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/46820#46820. Also, don't rule out the category 3's either - I've spent a lot of time in the Residence Inn in Charlottesville, and the rooms are comfortable, the breakfast is nice, the weekday cookouts are fun in the summer, and the staff is unfailingly pleasant....

All right, and, now that I'm done whining, let me be clear that I'm ecstatic to have a fat pot of Marriott Points - it may not be an appropriate reward, but it's more than minor consolation for the road warrior's travails.  And, yes, my boys (yes, the same spoiled gents who tell me I'm a cranky old man, but have luxuriated in wonderful Marriott properties from California to Florida to New York and Barcelona, Berlin, London, and Toronto) are busily planning their next dream vacation courtesy of our family's favorite loyalty rewards program. THANK YOU MARRIOTT REWARDS!!!!!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Charlottesville
  • Re: MR: Random Electronic Notices, Musings, etc.
    erc Platinum

Yes, I noticed the same blurb, and whereas with the ongoing erosion of point value, I definitely want to use 'em before I lose 'em, I'm not in that big of a hurry to cash out. I was somewhat amused by the posting in that I couldn't imagine that it would spur users on to increased consumption - "hey, I've got points". If so, look out for banks sending out notices that we have enough money to buy X number of Five Guys burgers.

The real game to me is point value maximization. Being a fellow DC native, I share your appreciation for Charlottesville and Residence Inns in general for overall best value, terrific for catching a weekend (with breakfast) baseball game (good luck w/football) or taking a winery tour. I also enjoy the relatively short jaunts to Richmond and the Tidewater area, like Newport News, and Williamsburg, thus the sadness over losing the BOGOs, whose true value to me was a trip I wouldn't schedule otherwise. I'm glad I'm quasi-retired because planning dream vacations courtesy of our favorite loyalty rewards program (and it is) requires more and more time, with the Spirit air type nickel and diming of point devaluation, breakfast, parking,check in/check out (Vacation Club - ouch) etc. but like Hannibal Smith in the A-Team, boy do I love it when a plan comes together and Marriott service matches it's hard earned past reputation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: MR: Random Electronic Notices, Musings, etc.
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Tailored programming for these types of notices is easily done.  I'm guessing there was a reason for also sending it to those who have higher balances.  We are in spring break season and nearing the summer travel season.  Staying 5 nights in a cat 4 hotel isn't something that I ever think about (always earmarking my points for those cat 8 stays), but you know, maybe it's something I might want to consider and perhaps should consider.  I think they are just reminding members that there are lots of options for using points, and perhaps they weren't careful enough with their wording and phrasing choice.  Congratulations on having a pot full of Platinum, btw!  Lucky you!

My husband is a musician.  He and his songwriting collaborator recently released an album of songs which includes quality music and lyrics geared toward 'old guy' humor.  The album title is actually 'Cranky Old Men,' so I can heartily appreciate your boy's sentiments!

And no, you did not diminish the luster of my day.  You added to it.    Thanks!