4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2012 2:33 PM by anadyr RSS

The magic of Port

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

tobin.gif

Just got my wine shipment from a Paso Robles vineyard (called Tobin James) that included a Port for the first time (sold out, but should have been 25 dollars for a .375l bottle). 

Tobey (the winemaker) used real Portuguese grapes (Tinto Cao, Tortuga Nacional and Souzano varietals for all you oenophiles out there).

Tobey's grapes were planted in 1994 and harvested in 2009.  (The name issue of calling it "Port" is not an issue.  As many of you know the naming of these wines and spirits is regulated. Like Champagne, Port is protected by the European Unions’ Protected Designation of Origin guidelines.  In the European Union, Port may only come from the Douro Valley region in the northern Portugal.)

VSOP Brandy stopped the fermentation and 10% grape sugars were added, the traditional Port-making method. 

Now after two years in the barrel and one resting in the bottle, is is all mine. Unless someone wants to bring a fine Cuban cigar (smuggled in of course) to enjoy it with (just kidding).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paso Robles, California, USA
Portugal
  • Re: The magic of Port
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

SS,

Thanks for reminding me.  It's been awhile since we had a Port of any kind, and we should go look for a nice bottle the next time we're out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Makes chocolate taste oh so much better. 

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Yes it does, and my wife likes it even more than me.  Good way to make her happy!

Try Lula's Chocolates if you can find them, made on our Peninsula with sea salt

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...