9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2012 2:44 PM by alrenaissance RSS

Camelback Inn Spa renovation

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Am so upset and gutted that for my 9 night stay in July, the Spa at the JW Marriott Camelback Inn will be closed. I use the Spa pool for the tranquility of the place, no kids running around, or noise at all and the Spa facilities are wonderful. Obviously renovations have to take place sometime and in July when its boiling hot I suppose the resort will be quieitish and that probably accounts for the very good rates, however, those rates were in place long before I booked my stay some months ago, so the advantageous rate no longer looks as inviting. To be honest, the Camelback is only one of my 2 all time Marriott favourites (the other being the Marriott Harbor Beach in Fort Lauderdale) and the Camelback is unique.I realise the Harbor Beach is a family resort but again I spend my time round the Spa pool all day which is quiet.  I can cancel the hotel but my flight is booked and paid from London UK to Phoenix and cant be changed. I looked at the JW Desert Ridge and also saw a posting on here which put me off, anyway, it does not look or have the same feel of the Camelback. I am so upset, and having been to the hotel in only December i cant see what major work needs to be done. I dont want to lose my MR points or my nights credit as I am a leisure traveller so am keen to retain my Platinum status, but just dont know what to do. Anyone got any suggestions of a similar property in Scottsdale? I dont just want a run of the mill hotel, the Camelback has casitas rather than floor upon floor of hotel rooms and stunning gardens etc.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa
  • Re: Camelback Inn Spa renovation
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

platinum,

Thanks for letting us know!

Sorry to hear this.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

That is too bad--must be decision based on their off season occupancy?

curiousone Platinum

Within the Marriott family there is a Ritz Carlton at Camelback & 24th St. in Phoenix. Outside of Marriott you can look at the Phoenician, Boulders Resort or the Scottsdale Cottonwoods Resort. I hope you have a great time when you visit Phoenix/Scottsdale.

musictomyears Platinum 6 Reviews

We have stayed both at the Camelback and Desert Ridge.  I too LOVE Camelback.  I would highly suggest Desert Ridge.  They have a Spa pool that is quiet and very relaxing, I don't think you would be disappointed.

Another suggestion, we had a two-bedroom suite with a private pool at Camelback, you might want to request this.  It is private, quiet and very relaxing.  Either way, both places are unique and wonderful in their own way. 

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Sorry for your disappointment...Hopefully they will compensate you in another way!!!

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

The hotel have offered to waive the $25 daily resort fee (which I do not normally pay anyway as none of the benefits are any good to me - I dont have children for free meals, dont ride bikes, dont play golf, I get free internet as I'm Platinum).  I wonder if I had not checked my rate yesterday, would i have turned up for my vacation to find the Spa closed? It might be an idea if the hotel emailed all guests booked during the Spa closure period. I have to say that the hotel have been very helpful in suggesting alternatives to their Spa but i dont really want to travel to other places, The Camleback is my retreat and there i want to stay. However, on checking the rates again today, they have suddenly gone down by $30 a night, hopefully this is compensate for the lack of the Spa, so I've rebooked with the new rate. Its now an excellent rate of only $154 a night (and was before the reduction at $184), this includes $75 a night to spend in the onsite restaurants (and Spa!!!) plus 2 signature cocktails per night. I know it will be mega hot in July but I'm a mad Englishman (and as Noel Coward sang - "Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday Sun").

cj Silver 3 Reviews

Sorry to hear about the spa being closed.  If you don't mind driving 4 hours 30 mins (if you drive the speed limit only 272 miles, most people drive 80mph)  to  JW Desert Springs in Palm Desert, CA is very very nice and peaceful. http://www.desertspringsresort.com/   call to see if the spa will be available during the time you are planning.

Renting a car is cheap (hotwire.com) in the US about $30/day and gas is very reasonable compared to UK at $4.25/gallon.  Flying (40mins) is also possible but not worth the hassle with the 2hr check-in before the flight.

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Sorry to hear of unfortunate timing.

I'm sure you're aware that renovations happen in regular cycles, and the Marriott website is usually very good at posting warnings of renovation projects and their timing.

My family is faced with this with regularity at the 5 Marriott timeshare weeks we own and at our vairous resort stays.  I have never found a Marriott renovation project that has not been posted to the website well in advance.

I suggest you explore some alternatives, such as Starr Pass Resort in Tucson (2 hour drive from Phoenix), Desert Ridge in Scottsdale and Desert Springs in Palm Desert, CA (5 hour drive).  They are all fabulous resorts and all have tranquil spa pools.

Happy Trails!

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I always heard good things about this place, and had a Marriott employee recently recommend it to me as I hit Phoenix/Arizona at least once a year. This was a place on my things to do this year, and it is a bummer I will not be able to experience it in it's full. Anybody have a nearby location which is worth a dime or two? I would like to stay in that region and not travel all of the way to CA or anything.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...