20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2013 8:11 PM by bpelican RSS

Do I have to beg for Platinum Elite benefits?

gsueagle68 Platinum 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Why is it that some Marriott properties make you work for your Platinum benefits?  They almost make you beg for the benefits that are a part of the program.  I guess I should be more assertive/aggressive but that would be a little out of character though I can and have done it.  Today, I checked into a Marriott property and requested a riverfront room.  I was told by the front desk staff that we have you in a river view room which is really much better.  Not!  It's fine and I am not going to bring it up to them (if I was staying longer I would).  I've stayed at other properties that go out of their way to recognize Platinum Elite members, but then there are others.  It almost makes you feel like they don't want to provide any of the benefits.  Maybe it is just me...

I should end this on a positive note though.  The staff have all been very friendly.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Do I have to beg for Platinum Elite benefits?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

gsueagle88

glad to hear that the staff was friendly.  just wondering, what specific platinum elite benefits are you finding elusive?  it seems that sometimes our expectations exceed the actual guaranteed benefits attached to the program. 

safe travels

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gsueagle68 Platinum 7 Reviews

I know that sometimes people have unrealistic expectations and want to see what more they can get over and above anything they are entitled to.  In my case, I would never ask or expect to receive anything more than what is provided through the Platinum Elite program.  My issue was that I had to ask for access to the concierge level and for internet access.  They were taken c are of after inquiring but the fact that I had to ask just makes it less of a benefit or it makes me feel like they don't really want to provide it.

I will say again that the staff was really nice we were always greeted whenever encountered by staff.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

My guess would be that it is a simple expectation of exceptional service and attention to your recorded preferences (and a great hotel and staff).  I find in Europe and the Middle East (except my awful Rewards experience with the Rive Gauche) I almost always get exceptional treatment as a Platinum or PP.  But I think that may be due to differences in the hospitality industry there versus in the US.  My stays at both the Chicago Magnificent Mile (bad) and Renaissance NY 57 (3 to 5, with 3 being room and 5 being the staff and rest of the hotel) make me really believe that in the US, associates are mostly just doing their job.  In Europe, being in the hotel industry is a high status occupation, which many stay in for life.  As a result, I've been remembered by name as I walked into hotels I hadn't stayed at in a couple of years, even without producing identification or before checking in.

In any case, post a review of the hotel where you received the disappointing stay.

ProfChiara

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

profC,

I will look forward to someday staying in Europe to see the difference in treatment of Platinum members.  As we all have seen, it can be hit and miss in the US.

erc Platinum

I know exactly what you mean. So as not to be accused of whining on the site, I want to clarify that yes, it would be great if platinums were recognized with top notch service regarding the terms of the benefits of the programs on an absolute basis, all times, all places, understanding that several benefits are often understandably so, described as 'when available'. What gets me going is when plats are called upon to inform associates of the program benefits in order to receive them, and most frustrating of all is when I feel that as a platinum I'm being overlooked on a relative basis (to other customers). I have had several examples where I have to pay full fare standard rate (due to projected occupancy - since I have the luxury of booking early, I'm confident it is a projected figure), which is fair enough because that's the nature of the beast, only to find myself facing the air conditioning vents of other buildings, while teenagers of a sports team sit with balconies overlooking a river; or my real pet peeve; riding six floors up to the concierge level to hear other customers (from their discussions/admissions who are infrequent travelers of no specific brand, joyfully brag about the great price they got on Priceline and how they love their high level floor, just a few doors down from this great room, essentially praising Priceline more than Marriott - ouch).

Now, before I'm encouraged to drop out of the program so there are more rooms six floors under the concierge level for the rest of you, I'll state that when the stars align, the process is heavenly and that I'm not going anywhere, so save your requests - ha ha. The wonderful travel experience that many Marriotts provide, makes it even more glaringly obvious when other properties fall short. Yes, certainly not the end of the world hardship, but after airport, rental car, traffic, et al. battles, I'd prefer being considered a recognition above the random non dyed-in-the-wool Marriott customer.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

erc -- I, for one, don't take your post as whining.  You're backing up your criticisms with facts from your own experiences. And, I agree, sometimes it does seem that I know more about front desk and room operations than the hotel staff.  Glad that doesn't happen often...

slayer Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm not sure of all the big perks of being a Platinum Rewards member.  I get 50% more points and 200 extra points when I check in.  I sometimes am thanked for being a Platinum Rewards member but more often not, I am not.  I normally stay at Fairfield Inn locations due to company restrictions on cost of the hotel.  It is also normally the same 2 Fairfield Inns as well.  About 50% of the time, I am reminded what time breakfast is served and where the elevators are located.  Even though of my 80+ stays last year, 35 were in one and 35 in the other.  Seems like something would pop up on the PC screen stating PLATINUM MEMBER!!!!   FREQUENT GUEST!!!!  Treat him right.  Just IMHO.

bigmrm Platinum

But it does. I've seen the screen. The last 3 places you've stayed pop up. Plus I've returned to places after over a year and have been told "Welcome back to our hotel."

I think many agents barely bother to read the screen for necessary information, never mind optional stuff. (Then again, does it bother anyone else that front desk personnel should know how many points you have, how many nights you've stayed this year and where you've stayed? What business is it of theirs? One even printed the screen for me to impress me. I was NOT impressed -- rather, I was annoyed.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"Seems like something would pop up on the PC screen stating PLATINUM MEMBER!!!!   FREQUENT GUEST!!!!  Treat him right."

slayer -- that's been suggested on Insiders before and I think it's a great idea!  Seems like a simple software adjustment to me.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Unfortunately, I think we've seen the vendor is not able to make a "simple software adjustment" without some bad things happening.  Every update is a little scary, and who's doing their software QA anyway?

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

My suggestion is that you request your particular view preference (or any other reasonable preference) when making your reservation on page 2 of the website reservation screens.

Page 2 is the personal info screen which - FYI - the site will skip over if you have your personal info (credit card info etc) already filled out on your profile.  The page 2 skipping is intended to save you time when making a routine reservation.

However, if you have a particular preference that is not provided for on your profile you can state that in the "Remarks" box on page 2.

Getting to page 2 is the trick --- to get there make your reservation per usual on page 1.  The website will probably skip to page 3.  However, when you get to page 3, click on the page 2 tab (personal info) to - in effect - back up to page 2.  Then enter your preference in the Remarks box and click to go forward to page 3 where you will click "complete reservation".

Whalla! --- you made your reservation and inserted your preference!

Hope that helps.   For me, it works every time because your preference exactly as you articulated it shows up on the hotel's monitors when they are blocking rooms each day.

Happy Trails!

sdbroker Platinum

I was recently informed (when staying at a full service Marriott) that only about 15% of the Marriott brand hotels are actually owned by Marriott.  The rest are typically owned by one group, and managed by another.  It may be possible the management firms are the ones who are cutting corners in notfollowing all the Marriott quidelines with their staff or program offerings.  My suggestion would be to take note of the management company at check-in, and we can possibly sort out the great and the less than perfect on this type forum.

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I do not beg for anything, but being assertive definately helps a lot. If you can expend the enrgy to post about it on this forum (which is a good thing!) use energy to make yourself heard at the front desk or on the phone. I always am, and it certainly helps! Good luck!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I agree with your assertive approach at the front desk.  Sometimes you even have to educate them a bit, especially where there is high turnover at the front desk.  No begging!!!!  You've earned your status and deserve what is rightfully yours.

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

As I love to say: "The squeeky wheel gets the oil!"

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...