23 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2013 9:55 AM by psudad RSS

Boscolo Palace Roma

amarch Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi. My wife and I will be in Rome in early May for four days before a cruise. We are staying at the Boscolo Palace. Has anyone stayed there recently? Can you tell me how your stay was? How walkable is it from there to the usual tourist places.I.E. the Colosseum or Vatican? Any information would be very useful. Thanks amarch

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rome, Italy Autograph Collection Boscolo Palace Roma, Autograph Collection
  • Re: Boscolo Palace Roma
    m2 Platinum

Your location will be terrific for most of central Rome--an easy walk to the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, etc.  The Coliseum and Vatican are a bit further afield--walkable if you are a strong and long walker, but also reachable by bus, subway and taxi.  Taxi's aren't too expensive, as everything is quite close.  But be VERY careful about pickpockets on buses or subways.

Rome is a fabulous city.  But it cannot be instantly absorbed and can be a bit intimidating the first time.  Your hotel (very high end!) is right on the Via Veneto (la Dolce Vita street) and you can't go wrong just wandering around in central Rome.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

v21cro Gold

We will be on our Honeymoon, staying at the same Hotel awaiting a cruise the first few days of May.  This place sounds wonderful and it's our first trip to Rome!  Appreciated the advice about the pickpockets - it happened to my son on his first trip but I didn't realize it was so wide spread.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I just checked out the photo gallery at Marriott.com.....This place looks fantastic!!!  Please share with us your reviews.

jedikinight Platinum

I've just checked out of this hotel and it isn't as good as it looks based on my experience. The room is very, very small. It is expensive and if I would have to pay, I rather stay at some place else rather than this hotel (I used my points). Hotel staffs are pleasant and restaurant is decent, but I had much better than this place. The highlight is the bathroom where they have about 20 different toiletries to choose from and that is about it. There is another Boscolo hotel one block away but that isn't a part of Marriott.

The pictures from the website lead me to this hotel and that will fool everyone. I would not stay at this hotel considering the price point.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

That's what I'm talkin' about!!! Pictures can be deceiving. Good folks, like the Jedi here, are a nice balance to bring reality to the table. I'm not a big fan of the tiny rooms.

Jedi, how was the location. Close to things? Would the proximity to the town help overcome the price and the small room?

m2 Platinum

Hmm.  Well, large hotel rooms are sort of rare in central Rome, and cost a pretty penny.  The Marriott Grand Flora has mostly beautiful large rooms (but not all), though we have found it difficult to book on points.  Its location is also not quite as close to the action as this Boscolo, which is one of the new Autograph brand and likely more idiosyncratic than most Marriotts.  I haven't stayed there, but have stayed along that part of the Via Veneto (in two other, non-Marriott hotels), and I do love this location, as it is so close to all the iconic central spots, starting with the very near Spanish Steps.  And the Via Veneto (which some find touristy) is lined with beautiful plane trees and is a peaceful and grand street, unlike the noisy and crowded streets in most of Rome.

Rome is so romantic and this part of Rome particularly so, so I am sure the honeymooners will not be disappointed with their place in Rome.

BTW, the American Embassy is pretty much across the street from this hotel. . . .

jedikinight Platinum

Location wise, it is a good location no doubt. If you happen to get your passport lost or stolen, you can walk across the street and the U.S embassy is right there. Metro station is close as well. But then again, so are many other hotels near by. This hotel is the first hotel that I could not find a desk to put a small laptop to transfer pictures after day's trip. That is how small room really is. The edge of bed and the wall is about 3 feet. The good news is that small 32" LCD TV looks quite big from bed.

If staying with points, no other choices since it is very difficult to find a Marriott hotel in Rome. However, if paying for a room, there are many other options since Metro stations are all over Rome and no need to pick this hotel in my opinion.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi all,

Arkwright posted a really insightful post on the Boscolo in Rome about six months ago -- so it should be in an archive somewhere on the site.  Being a long time traveler to Rome, I know that the Boscolo is literally down the street (street being Via Veneto) from the Grand Flora.  With prices being nearly equal there is absolutely no way I would stay at the Boscolo rather than the Flora, based on what I've experienced many times at the Flora and what I've heard from Insiders.  The Grand Flora may be a somewhat old grande dame, but it is one helluva great hotel to stay at.  You will experience none of the things Marriott Insiders often complain of, for you will be recognized immediately on status, remembered by name even two years after the last stay, and receive exquisite service.  It is one of my three favorite Marriotts in the world.

And although I last used points to stay there just before the transition to the Category 8 exception rule, many people have told me that if you contact the hotel directly there should be no problem using points.

If the Boscolo were significantly less expensive, that would make a difference, which is why I sometimes stay at the Marriott Courtyard Central Park.

But I agree there are many wonderful places to stay in Rome, and I might very well do so on my next stay.  My favorite part of the city is Trastevere, which is lively, historical, has great food, and is near everything.

ProfC

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

ProfC,

You wrote exactly what I had been thinking, but I didn't want to diminish amarch's feeling about their choice.  The good news is that the location is perfect for sights in central Rome.

surfwatcherb Gold

ProfC - What do you mean by the "category 8" exception rule?   We are hoping to be able to stay at the Grand Flora in either 2013 or 2014 on points.

Surfwatcherb

Hi Surfwatcherb,

I don't know if things have changed recently, but when they went to Category 8 hotels a couple of years ago, certain hotels were exempt from making all rooms redeemable for points.  The Grand Flora was one of several such hotels, though most people I know have been able to use points there by contacting the hotel directly.

Good luck!
              ProfChiara

surfwatcherb Gold

Thanks, I will do that when we are ready to nail down the dates. 

surwatchherb,

I think I need to correct myself here about how far in advance you must book stays on points.  While it is prudent to book your stay on points at Marriott's worldwide flagship hotels a year in advance, it is possible to get a room on points with fairly short notice, although there are no guarantees.  A couple of examples of this would be 1) my sister and brother were able to get a room two nights in a row at the Rome Boscolo with less than 24 hour notice this month.  2) ProfChiara recently booked a room at the Boscolo Venezia on points with just a couple of months notice.  And I would like to refer you to the recent Insider's blog http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/5453, who also apparently was able to stay on points at the Grand Flora with no notice.  Best of luck!

Hi Pluto and Surfwatcherb,

Only difference is that the Boscolo Venezia is a Cat 7.  We were told with the initial change to having Cat 8 hotels that some would be exempt from having to allow you to use points. That policy might have changed, but it was in place at the time with some of the very highest level Marriotts.

ProfC

surfwatchherb,

if you make your reservation on points one year in advance (and I do mean one year, not 11 months, 3 weeks) you should have no problems with reserving a room on points.  The rooms available for points go quick, which is why the advance reservation is compulsory.

barbaracollins Platinum

Thanks so much for this posting. I am going back to Rome in September, having been already this year (we had a 1 night using points and stayed at the Grand Flora).  I couldn't decide between the Boscolo & Grand Flora, and was looking on  this site to see if anyone had experienced the two. I also wanted to see if they recognise/acknowlege platinum status.

Anyway, I've now booked to go back to the Grand Flora.

I have a question (if anyone knows the answer), has anyone experienced a suite other than the junior suite at the GF...I've booked a junior suite but wondered if there was anything better!

Thanks everyone

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I once got the Presidential Suite at the GF when I booked on points right before it became a Cat 8.  Really nice!  Plus I love the people there.

ProfC

kinseattle Platinum 6 Reviews

We stayed 7 nights using points at the Boscolo Palace.   Our room had a view through the trees to the American Embassy - it was lovely.   The rooms were designed with focus on aesthetics, not function, and are all white italian cool.  We loved it, but then this was vacation not business.   The staff are fabulous.    Breakfast is delicious - wonderful cheeses, meats, fish, cereals, pastries and of course espresso.   The location was quieter the most other places in Rome.   We usually walked down to the tourist areas and taxied back.  My only complaint applies to Rome as a whole - public transportation is weak and comfortable seats are nonexistent. 

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I was wondering, do you know if Grand Flora and/or Boscolo Palace offer a free breakfast?  I believe every hotel I have ever stayed at in Italy provided a free breakfast, except the Courtyard at the Venice Airport, which was the only Marriott property I have stayed at in Italy, thus far.  I ask as I have both the GF and Boscolo booked for next spring and will be dropping one.

When in Rome, I have always stayed in that same area, so either would be wonderful, though the Boscolo is two blocks closer to where we end up walking every day.

Hi Psudad,

Both properties offer free breakfast to Plats.  Boscolo does not offer free breakfast to Golds, and I'm not certain about GF.  My info is from last June (2012).  Enjoy!

I have never stayed at the Boscolo but have always gotten a magnificent free breakfast free at the Flora -- which is especially wonderful in summer on the rooftop.

ProfChiara

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Thanks, Prof!

lizbeth Platinum

O.K., for better or worse, we are at the Boscolo for four nights in May after a cruise.  Fingers crossed that it will work out comfortably, but will let you all know when we get back.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...