20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2012 6:41 PM by alrenaissance RSS

cannot seem to use visa free night

dockap Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi

I have a reward listed as a free night in a 1-4 category.  I am trying to make a reservation using this but every time I attempt to reserve using the numbers with the Visa free night numbers the screen says the wrong info was entered.  How do I get this reservation made?

thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: cannot seem to use visa free night
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

If you call customer service (reservations) I am sure they will be glad to help you out. They will be able to see the certificate in your account and make that happen for you.

Happy travels!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

darora2 Platinum 8 Reviews

Even I had similar issues, but the hotel frontdesk helped me. You just need to call reservation numbers and let them know about your reward free visa night. They will book hotel using your Visa nigh.

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

You can also call rewards and they can extend the length of the certificate 6 months from the end of the expiration with no problem at all. Hope this was helpful!

bnov Gold 5 Reviews

alrenaissance, thanks for the suggestion to call rewards and ask for an extension on the certificate.  We'd like to use our certificate for a hotel stay just a few days after the current six-month expiration.  I'll give it a try!

They seem to have no problem with it at all. I actually found out about it because they offered and said anytime I had an issue like this to give them a buzz. Mine from the credit card is actually on extension right now!

Let me know how it goes!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I agree with all the recent posts.  Still, I find it fairly ridiculous that with everything else done online that we have to call to use our certificates.  Community Manager, can you check on why this is the case?

ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Maybe I am an outlier, not to belabor the point, but in making a reservation at a a cat 5 place in VA, the award was automatically applied to a MR reservation that I checked on and then reserved.  Others might try that: check a place and indicate you want to use points and see what happens?

Weird Ss,

It is kind of weird in that whole aspect, as almost every time that I apply a certificate, it subtracts points from my account, and never the voucher. Then I have to call in and get the whole thing reversed which usually takes like 10-15 minutes after the rep looks through everything to make sure it is legit and the proper course of action.

I think this especially happens to me when I book with a free stay just a night or 2 before arrival. I think if I set up the voucher usage in advance more then that then I do not have a problem. I think every instance last year that I used a voucher, I ended up getting point deductions. I guess the voucher creates a code which has to "settle" throughout the system, and when I use a voucher a day or 2 in advance, it throws everything off.

I keep trying to tell myself to remember that, but sure enough, next time I do the same stupid thing again. Maybe one more time and I will learn the lesson, LOL1

Have a nice evening.

I have reversed some points stays and noticed that the retrieval of those points to be put back takes much longer than the deduction for a stay.  Also, the e-certificates seem to get there but the system often tells me that I need to have the cert ordered.  What is that all about?

Same issue here, especially if I do not do the whole process at least a week in advance. Only consolation is that a phone call, however annoying, seems to remedy the situation. It would be great to have a better online redemption ability.

The other frustration I have, is that when I redeem a certificate, it does not provide much in the way of which certificate I want to use, and the system seems to just take them in the order earned. If I am staying at a "4" property, I do not want them using my "5" certificate for obvious reasons. This is my other primary, chief complaint, as the Visa Premier card throws me a category 5 upgrade every July.

So true, and wish there was a way to make this more uniform--for example if we actually find a cat three hotel don't we have a remainder owed to us from the card's promise?  I guess not.

Yeah, I do not see them leaving a residual of any sort on a category based voucher. I wish they could be reverted to the equivalent in points. That might make more sense.

fhllast4ever Platinum

You can tell the Rewards line which category to use  (4 or 5).

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

That's exactly right.  If you check the use points checkbox in the search criteria, then click on the rate you want (even though it says points), it will take you to a screen where if you scroll down, it will show options for using your reward certificates on file instead of points.  Quite easy once you know how to do the navigating.  I was perplexed by this too until I read another post by the CM on a similar blog on this site.

fhllast4ever Platinum

The best way to handle this type of reservation is to call the reservation line and tell them you intend to use your hotel certificate.

Once the reservation is made, ask to be connected to Marriott Rewards office.  Ask the Rewards employee to attach the certicate to your

reservation (the hotel will see that you intend to pay with this reward, as opposed to points).

In my experience the reservation people don't always attach the reward when completing the reservation.  I found the extra call to

Rewards line saves me the hassle after my stay.

Makes sense and I agree. Does not always work this smoothly for me though, especially when I am running several certificates at once, with multiple reservations all over-the-place! I agree with you overall, however. I think it depends on how the Rep is entering it into the system or something. That may create my occassional problem.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...