9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2012 6:26 PM by Anndi07 RSS

Why is Hilton so much cheaper in New York?

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am staying at the Marriott Downtown in NYC (one of my favourite NY hotels) from the 28th - 30th April for a very reasonable advance purchase rate of $220 a night, however, I am staying in NY until the 1st May but Marriott are charging $449 for the 3rd night so I decided to .look elsewhere. However, Hilton dont seem to have increased their prices for weekday stays during that period (not sure if thats normal or not but I expect to pay less at weekends), but Hilton have the brand new suites at the Conrad just 5 mins away from where I will be staying at only $299 for the 30th April (my 3rd night) and have much cheaper prices in midtown Manhattan starting at $184.00 for the 30th April, yet Marriott are charging so much more? Initially I thought there must be something going on in the city like a big convention but as Hilton and Starwood are offering reasonable prices for weekdays it seems very likely that I will check out of the Marriott Downtown and move to a competitor. I am a leisure traveller so to get to 75 nights a year for my Platinum status is not easy but Marriott are not helping me by charging such high prices compared to others. Anyone from Marriott care to comment (I'm keeping a copy of this posting this time incase it disappears again)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott Downtown
  • Re: Why is Hilton so much cheaper in New York?

It seems that nobody from Marriott have chosen to comment (I asked in my last posting). !!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Could be that the community manager or his assistants have not seen the post..I have copied Andy to see if he can answer your question!!!

NathalieF

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks Jasper100, I'll see what I can find out.

Sorry to say that I have now made a booking with Hilton for my 3rd night in New York on the 30th April. It appears that other hotel chains like Hilton, Starwood, etc are not charging such high rates for midweek stays. FYI - I have booked a prepay rate of $220 for 2 nights at the Marriott Downtown on Sat 28th April - Mon 30th April. To book my 3rd and final night the rate jumps to $449.00. The brand new all suite Conrad in the same area has an opening rate of $299 which is amazing especially for what they are offering in terms of the luxurious accomodation. Marriott have priced themselves out of the market and lost my business on this occasion for my 3rd night.

I have checked the rates and here are just a few examples for Mon 30th April

MARRIOTT                                                                HILTON

Fairfield $305 (the cheapest in NYC with Marriott)         Hilton Garden Inn $149 (the cheapest in NYC with Hilton)

Residence Inn Times Sq $322                                     Doubletree Suites Times Sq $239

Courtyard Times Sq $323                                            Conrad Suites $299

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings platinumstar - There's unfortunately no brief answer to your question, so without knowing all of the specifics circumstances involved, I will at least offer this explanation. We obviously can't speak to what our competitors are doing, but as you've noted, pricing may vary by market which is determined by an abundance of factors (group business, demand from business travelers, overall occupancy, local events, day of the week, etc.). In your case though, a couple scenarios come to mind. It may be that the original reservation was booked at a reduced rate for the weekend while seemingly increasing the difference between the Monday rate. Alternatively, after initially booking at the original rate, the rate for Monday could have changed based upon any of the factors I mentioned. In lieu of a magic answer I hope this helps at least provide some context as we do appreciate your loyalty!

Thanks for replying. However, there are a few factors you mention that I dont think come into it.

I agree that market forces could drive up prices, but not as you said by local events, day of the week - if there were local events then it would be odd that everybody was staying in all the Marriott hotels in NYC but not Hilton or Starwood who were offering very reasonable prices and on a Monday. The $220 rate I booked for the first 2 nights is less than half of what is being charged on the 3rd night, and you said the price for the Monday could have changed based upon the factors of local events, groups etc, after I had made my 2 night booking. Again, it seems strange that every Marriott in NYC could be full of groups etc but Hilton, Starwood have loads of availabilty at much better rates. Unfortuately, the rate of $449 for the Monday was there when i tried to book for 3 nights and is still there, it has not increased at a later stage because of limited availabilty. Yet other chains offer a very reasonable rate for all of the dates I wanted. So, either all of the Marriott hotels are so full they dont need to offer attractive rates like their competitors or whoever decides on pricing has not looked at what others are charging.

Please note that nothing would have given me greater pleasure than to spend another night in a Marriott but when you are severely undercut then loyalty is driven by the £ in my wallet.

Anndi07 Member 1 Reviews

Because it's Hilton? I don't have a real answer for you, but in my personal opinion, there's a certain something, or someone, tarnishing Hilton's reputation just a little... and it's one of the reasons that I never stay at their hotels. To me, it also cheapens their brand. My favourite NYC hotel is the Marquis in Times Square.

Hi Anndi - not sure I understand what mean in your reply about Hiltons reputation being tarnished by something or someone? For me, Marriott is my first choice and I want to retain my Platinum status so other chains are only usually used when a Marriott isn't somewhere I want to visit. Its just the price this time. I too like the Marquis, great location and big rooms but can often be so busy that its lobby can be a bit impersonal, though I'm quite happy at the Marriott Downtown which has a more homely feel of a traditional hotel with a quieter lobby and so there is much more of a personal service which the Marquis can not offer purely because of its size and the volume of people milling around. One good thing at the Marquis are the computerised elevators which work really well compared to the long waits some years ago for one to come along.

Anndi07 Member 1 Reviews

I was just making a joke about Paris Hilton. If I were the owner of a massive hotel chain such as Hilton, I certainly wouldn't want my daughter or grand-daughter, whatever she is, going around the way Paris does and using my name. And I wouldn't want her to inherit my fortune, either!

I'm yet to stay at the Marriott Downtown but it certainly looks nice and I can agree with what you're saying about a quieter lobby. Maybe I will check that one our next time I am in NYC.

And I suppose as someone like you who stays so frequently, price would be a concern as costs certainly rack up fast on frequent travel. For me, travel is a luxury that I only partake in perhaps two weeks out of a year in total (10-20 nights max) - so I don't mind spending on Marriott on these occasions to keep the rewards coming. With fewer stays, I would benefit much less if I chose to stay at a different brand sometimes - could make the difference between keeping my meagre Silver status for a particular year.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...