5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2012 7:09 PM by anadyr RSS

Tastiest Town in the South

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Many travelers are aware of the great food available in New Orleans; however, in a recent Southern Living Magazine contest, Lafayette was named the "Tastiest Town in the South".  They were in a heated battle with Louisville, KY for a while and way ahead of New Orleans.  You can read about the contest in the current edition of the magazine.

If you are traveling along Interstate 10, Lafayette is located about 2 hours west of New Orleans and an hour west of Baton Rouge.  Restaurants that don't serve REALLY GOOD food, don't stay open very long.  Even some gas stations serve incredible plate lunches.

Bicycle riders who came to Cycle Zydeco, a 4-day bicycle tour around the area, usually commented that this was the only multi-day event that they gained weight on.

Jambalaya, etoufee, gumbo, red beans and rice, eggplant pirogue, crawfish enchiladas, boiled crawfish, shrimp, and crabs, boudin, turduckens, etc. are just a few of the yummy foods available in the area.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Tastiest Town in the South
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

razorback

you made me hungry!  I would agree about Lafayette.  New Orleans tries to uphold its image while Lafayette just churns out great cajun food. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Making me hungry!  I actually like North Carolina BBQ the best..

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Louisiana is not really known for BBQ in my opinion.  If you are ever in the area where a Whole Hog restaurant is located, it would be worth your time to stop.  They have BBQ competition trophies taller than I am.  There are a couple in Little Rock and 1 in Fayetteville as well as other locations.  They have even opened a location in New Orleans.  It is located near the Superdome and is only open during the week at lunch time.  I think they also participate in the food booths in Champions Square prior to football games.  Check out their website for other locations.

SS, I guess you like the vinegar based sauces they use in N. C.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I do but am willing to branch out

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I've never been to Lafayette, but I might be passing thru there in a little over a month so I'll check it out first hand.  As for BBQ, I prefer South Carolina mustard based sauce on pulled pork, along with some hash and rice.  Nothing like a good ole fashioned pig pickin!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...