23 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2012 3:35 PM by anadyr Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Batter up!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Batter up!  My all-time favorite sports team is the St Louis Cardinals Baseball Team.  My second most favorite ballplayer, behind Stan the Man Musial, came from the great state of Nebraska.  Bob Gibson hailed from Omaha I believe and could intimidate and dominate batters like no other pitcher I know of.  those were the days.........

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
  • Re: Native Vegetation-Can you name these?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm a Braves fan since mid 60's when they moved to GA, but Bob Gibson is also one of my all time favorites.  He still lives in Omaha, has a street named after him, and is still a fan favorite.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Native Vegetation-Can you name these?
      Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Saw Stan the Man play the Pirates in his later years at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh PA where I grew up.  I have that autograph somewhere...

forbes.jpg

• Re: Batter up!
    erc Platinum

Now you're talking. To paraphrase the St. Pauli girl, "you never forget your first baseball team". The Washington Senators of Camilo Pascual, Harmon Killebrew, Roy Sievers, and Bobby Allison didn't win many games (until they moved to Minneapolis) but what great memories. It's great to have baseball (possibly winning baseball this year) back in the nation's capital. Put me down for some fever as well.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Erc,

My first baseball team is and always has been my only baseball team - the esteemed LA Dodgers, baby!  I didn't become a hopelessly devoted, my "blood runs Dodger Blue" fan until probably about 1967 at the ripe old age of 8 (we lived near the stadium and sat in general seating weekly, it seemed.)  My step-grandmother - who lived next door - was inseparable from her Dodger radio broadcasts and baseball almanac until the day she died.  I will always be grateful to that set of grandparents for instilling in me my love of America's greatest past time, thus my blood still runs "Blue" to this day.  Will never forget my all time heroes, Don Drysdale, Sandy Koufax, Tommy Davis, Maury Wills, Willie Mays, Willie Davis (The Willies!)  Then in the 70's, the infield dream team, Ron Cey, Bill Russell, Davey Lopes, and Steve Garvey, with Steve Yeager behind the plate, Tommy Lasorda at the helm, and batting heavyweights Dusty Baker and Reggie Smith.  Also and not to be neglected in mention, pitching strengths Don Sutton, Andy Messersmith, Burt Hooten, Tommy John, as well as Charlie Hough and Terry Forster who finished out a solid decade of successful Dodger ball.  Those were some great years in Dodger baseball.  (I do have a recently acquired soft spot for the the Rox and Dbacks.  Truth be told, in baseball, it's all good!)

erc Platinum

Wow you were lucky to have those terrific teams, those Walt Alston teams were winners (don't forget Gil Hodges) and tef, yes indeed, Sandy was the man. My favorite was the Say Hey kid, Willie Mays. Here's hoping Mark Walter, Peter Guber, Stan Kasten, and Magic can bring back the Magic to Dodgerblue, it's good for baseball. Spring fever - catch it!

Yep, the 60's, 70's and 80's were some great decades for the Dodgers.  Loved Willie Mays!  Remember Willie Stargel?  Another Willie.  Was he in Oakland, not a Dodger  I didn't think.  Must get back down there this year and watch some ball!

Willie was and always will be a Giant

Stepping, Are we talking about the same Willie (Stargell)?  I know I saw him play at Dodger Stadium many times.  No doubt because he played on a National League team.  I recall him hitting a ball out of the park on one occasion in LA.

Mays was who I was referring to, sorry for confusion.  Mr Stargell was a Pirate too

And thanks for not ragging on me!  I live in Giants country, so I get it a lot!  Just like Boise State and Fresno State are college football rivals.  I have a Boise State car magnet on my car only because one of my daughter's attended there.  But I have to remember to take the magnet off the car every year when Boise comes to town!

But we're talking baseball not football.  (Sorry).

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

The start of the baseball season is definitely a favorite time of year! It may seem strange, being a Massachusetts kid, but my favorite team, The Boston Red Sox, were not always the team I rooted for. That's because when I was a little boy, the Red Sox, plain and simple, stunk. Always that last place team. That all changed in 1967 when the Dream Team won the AL Championship against the Twins and went on to play the St. Louis Cardinals and that pitcher Bob Gibson. As I recall, he won three of the four games in the Series and the Cards beat the Sox in a series that went 7 games. Gibson was lights out. He really was a great pitcher in his heyday. Of course, The Sox got to even up the post season matchups with the Cards in 2004 when they beat the Cardinals four straight to win their first Championship in 86 years.

The team I rooted for as a kid....the Los Angeles Dodgers. Sandy Koufax was my favorite player (not Ted Williams).

Play Ball!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Shoeman,

I am with you!

12 in 12! 

That's the motto this year for the Cardinals.  (They want to get their 12th World Championship in 2012).

We'll see.

Tony will be missed--we loved him here at the A's manager. He was the one who declared that the stadium should be nonsmoking and serve healthy food--and they did both. Whar about missing Albert Pujols?

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

you can't replace an Albert Pujols.  Let's see what Carlos Beltran produces, as del as Lance Bermann, Freeze, and the rest.  And just as importantly, How Adam wainwright comes back from his year off, and if Carpenter can make a go of it.  God, I love Baseball......

I love it too.  Ken Burns did us all a favor to remind us of the greatness of the game and the legendary players.  My all time favorite is Roberto Clemente and I would recommend his bio by Maranis to all.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

One of my fondest memories is of my Dad listening to the Cardinals on the radio because it was the closest major league team to Little Rock.  We kidded him because he often fell asleep while listening to the games. He had played minor league ball prior to World War II; however, he was too old to continue his career when he returned home.  He coached American Legion teams and volunteered as an umpire.  I remember sitting in the stands and crying when someone yelled at him.  He scouted for the Mets for many years with some shorter stints with the Yankees, Phillies, and Royals.

In another post, I have written about the emotional experience I had when I discovered he had a contract with Louisville Slugger and I was able to order a bat made to his specifications with his signature on it.

When we travel, we try to attend games during baseball season.  If it is off season, we try to tour the ballpark.  We recently got to see the Razorbacks play 3 games in Minute Maid Park in Houston.  I'm sure that was an exciting experience for the team.  They also play in one of the best collegiate ballparks in the country.

Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack....and you need to bring plenty of $$$$ these days.

Razorbackfan,

Those are some great stories and memories.  Wonderful.  Thanks for sharing.  And for sure about the $$.

erc Platinum

Ok, thanks gang  - there's goes today's productivity.

Pluto - Stargell played for Pirates also - part of "We are Family" that beat my surrogate team Orioles in WS after being down 3 games to 1.

Razorback - Terrific story. Scouts really know their stuff. I coached a player who plays for U of Miss. - he loves Baum, he's a pull hitter and likes that short left field fence.

SS - I coached a player who will be coaching (man, am I old) with the famous John Schiffner and the Chatham Anglers (the movie Summer Catch). If my schedule permits I'm going to try and see some games, I'll be looking for some lobster hangouts. Boy, we could sure use some more Roberto's - great player and great man.

All right, back to work for me, I've got to pay for my Marriotts.

Ah yes the Chatham Athletics and now Anglers -- our favorite CC summer league team.

Love the Cape League with its wooden bats.  I even sat in the press box on one of those nights at Veteran's field when the fog rolled in and game was suspended.  What is your friend's name so I can say hello this summer?

PS we were there when one of the A's hit a ball that with one bounce smashed the window of the fire truck in the station--gotta be close to 478 feet--away.  Thurman Munson was the hitter.

erc Platinum

Mike McMenamin - bullpen coach and a great kid out of VaTech (no knocking Boise St. here, Pluto).

I'll make certain he has a copy of your book (which is in route to me from Amazon - due tomorrow), so he'll know he's in the presence of a

talented raconteur and perhaps the next Robert Ludlum. It's perfect for him since he's from DC, living in Chatham and 22 years old, similar to your main character. Thanks for looking out.

will do.  I look forward to meeting him at the games at Veteran's Park!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...