18 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2012 10:19 PM by lone6star Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Questions on Traveling to Scrub Island BVI.

jerseyshore Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I will be booking a trip to Scub ISland in the very near future for travel in August. My question is getting to the Island itself. It looks like there are a couple of different options in getting there. I understand the very final leg must be done via a ferry, but getting to that point seems that it can get done in a couple of different ways.

I'd like to hear from some folks who actually have taken this trip how they did it and how well their choice worked out.  We will be flying in from New Jersey.

Lastly, regarding the ferries, do you need to (or recommended) to make a reservation or is it just first come, first served?

Thanks all!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Scrub Island, Caribbean
  • Re: Questions on Traveling to Scrub Island BVI.
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Jersey,

I'm interested to learn more, also. Can you share your airline plans? From EWR? To where?  Is it a direct flight?

Thanks for opening the thread.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerseyshore Platinum

We haven't booked the flight yet as we are still researching the best travel options, but we would be leaving from EWR. Once we settle on our plans (hopefully within about a week) I'll let you know what we did.

ebgascoyne Platinum

This is actually much easier than is sounds - best to fly into Tortola directly (Beef Island airport code EIS?); if you don't have a lot of luggage you can literally walk to the Trellis Bay ferry dock, paved for rolling luggage too - otherwise you will laugh at how close it is via taxi (45-60 second drive!) Scrub Ferry operates on an hourly schedule - best to check with them directly in case the schedule changes before you arrive. No reservation needed, free, just be at the dock and hop on. A 10 minute ride with great view of the many sailboats anchored in the surrounding bay areas.

Google map the location and you'll see how close everything really is.

If you have to wait between flight arrival and ferry departure, Trellis Bay is fun to eat/get your first Painkiller (local island rum cocktail) at The Roti Bar, or several other establishments right in same area. Don't miss browsing Aragorn crafts and if you're lucky you can meet Aragorn himself (you can't miss the sculptures/fire balls he makes at water's edge).

Have a blast, Scrub is really a great place ~

jerseyshore Platinum

Thanks everyone. We ended up booking from EWR to SJU, then to EIS.  Easiest way to go, but wow, do they gouge you for that flight!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I made our reservation from IAH--SJU-EIS, just to simple of a connection in SJU and I love Cape Air and the C402.  What a great view of the islands on the way to and from EIS.

Enjoy your trip, we go next week and I'll let ya know how the connections were in SJU.

Just back from a 4 night stay at Scrub Island.  Best way to sum up the entire trip from the moment we were met at EIS and dropped off at the Trellis Bay dock from the ferry back to reality from Scrub Island is...........we have no idea if the TV in our room even worked or not as we didn't attempt to turn it on!!!!  An entirely outstanding trip.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

IA,

Thanks for the follow up.  When you came back down from floating in the euphoric clouds, please share some of the highlights (PG-Rated of course).

So you don't want to see the nude beach pictures?  Just kidding, that is forbidden in the BVI.

Probably the best day was when we rented a 25' center console boat and crusied all the way from Saba Rock at Bitter End, back to the west almost all the way to St. John and then back to Scrub Island.  The entire day as simply relaxing and fun, Copper Island is a must for lunch, and get the Roti, it was enough to share and still I was stuffed.  You can either get the boat with or without a Captain, since I grew up with boats in Gulf of Mexico we did it without a Captain and it was simple.

We didn't get to the little island restaurant near the Trellis Bay dock called Last Resort as they are only open for dinner, but from all we heard the place is a must see on our next visit.  Marina Cay we stopped and had a drink only, this was the place we found the least friendly staff yet I would not even call them rude, just not as friendly as others we ran across.

North Beach is about a 10 minute walk from the resort, nice spot but a bit rocky so take along some water shoes if you plan on getting into the ocean, but the pool is wonderful and the drinks pour strong all over the BVI.......just how you'd make them at home!!

We so enjoyed watching the boats coming and going from the marina at the resort having wine and on our balcony, a relaxing experience no matter.  The deli at the resort is pretty well stocked, but getting any alcohol or wine is much less pricey at the Trellis Bay Market.

Gotta dash so that's all for now.

Marriott Associate Member

Greetings!  Our first trip to Scrub is in a few weeks - any recommendations for 'must do' activities?  Great spa treatments?

BTW, I already have the 'laying around having the cabana boy bring me drinks' activity planned...

michellel

eyeman Platinum 4 Reviews

Michellel,  I' ll be there in November for my 25th anniversary.  Please share any great ideas and must-do's  that you discover. We also will spent a couple of nights at the San Juan Renaissance prior to flying over to Scrub Island.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Whatever happened with the couple who said they were robbed?

I was just thinking that, what happened to them?  HMMMM

Michellel, rent a 25' boat either with a Captain or not and enjoy the different islands of the BVI.  Head out past Virgin Gorda to Bitter End and Saba Rock.

clearbt Platinum

Not sure if you are referring to me here. We have no updates. The investigation has been completed by the police department there and as we expected there was not enough evidence for any sort of criminal charges. Wish we had something more to report.

Did they offer any type of apology?

clearbt Platinum

No

I would bring this to the attention of your local news station.  Unsure where you live, but here on the east coast, almost every news station (ABC, FOX, CBS) has some reporter helping the public on scams, rip-offs, etc.  You might want to bring it up to one of these news agencies, to get justification and satisfaction.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...