2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2012 2:08 PM by tyrrael RSS

Does it say anywhere on the websites that you can't use reward points for just any room in the hotel?

tyrrael Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, first time Marriott user and Marriott credit card owner. I signed up for the Silver Premiere card because of the bonuses that it gave. I thought the 50k points and free 1-4 category night certificate could help me get rooms that I was planning on getting later on this year.

I called up for reservations in Niagara Falls, ON, Canada. They tell me that the room I want to book doens't allow for points usage. It's the fallsview room with a king bed. I ask, what rooms do allow for points usage, and I'm told that only the very basic room in the hotel can be used. The riverview, nothing special about it, lowest room on the hotel pretty much.

Nowhere on their website or the terms and conditions can I find that this is true. I didn't see anywhere that only certain rooms can points be used. I wasn't even told that I could use points to "upgrade" to that certain room, just that points may never be used on that room type.

Anyone have any ideas?

(Also have a question about why a hotel that exists isn't showing up for dates on website reservations... but that's for another topic)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Does it say anywhere on the websites that you can't use reward points for just any room in the hotel?
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I'm not one that usually likes to point towards the T&C's, but this appears under Hotel Rewards, "your Rewards Redemption stay will include a single or double standard room". When booking your redemption stay, Marriott Rewards members may select from a standard redemption rate (using just points) OR redemption with cash upgrade (cash upgrade varies by hotel but is clearly labeled while booking) https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/hotelrmup.mi. Hope this helps

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Does it say anywhere on the websites that you can't use reward points for just any room in the hotel?
      tyrrael Silver

I suppose that does help after speaking with an agent on the phone, but I feel like it was unclear on the website what a "standard room" meant. I don't think it says anywhere on my reservation that the "fallsview" is an upgraded room, and it's unclear what upgrading to a new "view" means. There's literally only 2 views to the Niagara Falls Spa hotel. But if upgrades are available, shouldn't that mean that I could use regular points for the room plus more points for the 'upgrade' that I would be getting if I booked the 'standard' room and paid for an additional upgrade? It feels all so confusing.

I guess I either have to book for the standard room to get a free night or bite the bullet and splurge on a more expensive room with no points used. Just makes me feel like the rewards are not so rewarding.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...