14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2012 5:05 PM by tef6178 RSS

Young (23 Years old) Recent Platinum Member's Experiences

psukeith5053 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hey Everyone,

So as the subject explains, I am 23 and probably one of the youngest platinum members in the program.  I am currently in the middle of a 209 consecutive night stay at the Residence Inn in Tyler, Texas (Nice place and staff, but a terribly boring city (If you want to call it that) to live in.)  I recently took trips to Dallas and New Orleans using Marriott Points that I have accrued, and I'll admit that since I am young, I had low expectations as to how I would be treated as a platinum member.  However, my experiences showed a much different result:

1 Night stay at the Renaissance in Dallas, Texas:

I was staying here with my girlfriend who was flying in to visit, as she lives 1,000 miles away while I am on a temporary work rotation in the financial industry for a Forbes top 50 employer.  I arrived early to check in before she landed and was greeted warmly, after the hotel clerk had looked at his computer and realized that I was a platinum member.  I was given the choice between points and food ( I chose the points), was upgraded to the concierage level with a king sized bed (Lounge not open on weekends), and then directed to the concierage area to help set up my evening.  They did an excellent job of referring us to a nice Italian restaurant, and recommended clubs and bars to got to afterwards.  We were also given a free breakfast buffet at the hotel restarant, which had a nice spread.  Overall, we were very happy with our stay.

2 Night stay J.W. Marriott, New Orleans (Canal Street)

I was here by myself visiting family and friends.  Although it was a little bit of a walk to Bourbon Street, I was still able to find my way back even after a few drinks (Okay maybe more than a few...).  Upon checking in I was given the points bonus AND a free beer AND a cheese and crackers spread.  I was also upgraded to a room with a king sized bed, on the level below the concierage level (Once again the lounge was not open on weekends, which is kind of disappointing).  Although I didn't spend much time in the room, I was impressed with the more luxurious layout, especially in comparrison to most hotels that I have stayed in.  Luckily, I had flown there, otherwise it would have been $35 a night to park, which is a bit steep in my mind.  Overall, once again I was very impressed, more so because of my age.  I had the expectations that I would be treated as if I was mooching off of one of my parent's accounts, or jsut treated differently because I was younger, but I was very happy with both stays, as well as my extended stay at the Residence Inn in Tyler, Texas.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Young (23 Years old) Recent Platinum Member's Experiences
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

psukeith

welcome to the site, as well as the fraternity of Platinums.  I believe you hit on the head with your descriptions o of the experiences you had at these 2 properties.  I would think that your experiences were typical of what you will find throughout the Marriott family of brands. 

Regarding your temporary residence in Texas, welcome to our fine country!  Yes, Texas is a country (we seceded several years ago).  While Tyler is not amongst my favorite places, east Texas is a nice area and Tyler is fine too.  Enjoy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

psukeith5053 Platinum

Thanks Shoeman for the welcome, I really appreciate it.

I do hope to continue to receive similar treatments through Marriott, especially since if I have to be stuck in Tyler for a while, I may as well benefit from the free points that I am earning!

East Texas is nice, but to be honest Tyler bores the everliving out of me, especially after just graduating in December from a big party school, I am going cold turkey on the fun.  I do however hope to visit Austin and San Antonio before I leave, but to be honest I am counting the days to when I can move back up to the Northeast!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I am not sure I remember when I was 23..I guess that was another lifetime. Welcome to the site and congrats on becoming a Platinum Member. Keep it up, and you too can become a Lifetime Platinum and Platinum Premier member with the amount of nights you are accumulating. I too feel like I am a Texan like shoeman, as I retired from ExxonMobil a few years ago and had 3 different assignment in the Houston area and the rest in overseas locations with Exxon. Sounds like it is good that you are in Tyler..that way you will stay out of trouble. I have had very successful stays with the Marriott as a Platinum and Lifetime Platinum member in the past, although recently there has been somewhat of a deterioration in Marriotts treatment of their most loyal customer, but I am hoping they turn this around and become the Marriott I was so loyal to. Again welcome to the Marriott club!!!

I asume you are a Penn State University grad...Sad to see the University going through the football scandal to such a great school.

psukeith5053 Platinum

Thanks for the welcome Jasper!

I haven't had issues in the past with staying out of trouble, but I know I definitely won't in Tyler...

And I am in fact a very proud Penn Stater, even after everything that has occurred, the act of one disgusting individual will not change that.  I just hope that Joe Paterno's image can be restored by the Board of Trustees and the Big Ten sooner rather than later, because of everything that he did for Penn State is one of the main reasons that I was able to get the job right after graduation that I have.

I do too..I am a Florida State University Graduate and remember the friendly competition between two great and highly ethical coaches trying to become the winningist coach in NCAA Division 1. It is very sad how one despicable individual could tarnish a great coaches legacy and probably contributed significantly to his passing. I too hope that Joe Paterno's image can be restored, because in my mind he was the greatest coach in NCAA division one history with Bobby Bowden a close second!!!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

As  a PSU grad I heartily agree

And I thought PSU in your case stood for Platinum Steppingstone University???  Was Penn State a university when you graduated from college?

It was a boarding school for Mastodons at that point along the inland sea that covered North America--Paleolithic Era as I recall

I will be attending the Sony Ericsson Tennis Open on Wednesday night and both sessions on Thursday in Key Biscayne. I will be staying at the Miami Coconut Grove Residence Inn Wednesday and Thursday nights. I will give a report on my stay there!!!

Then on to two nights at the Hyatt Key West Resort.. I will also report on this stay.

psukeith5053 Platinum

I actually played division III tennis for two years at the Penn State Harrisburg campus before transfering to the main campus.  Sounds like an awesome time!  I've been to the US Open and Pilot Penn in New Haven, CT.  The smaller tournamnets are more fun, you get to see all of the matches close up!

Nice to hear that they accommodated you and congrats on being the youngest Platinum member

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

psukeith5053,

Congratulations from me as well!  Welcome to Platinum, and hope there will be many more.  Spent time visiting the PSU campus, and it was most impressive.  Good luck with you travels, and let us know how we can support safe travel for you.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

psukeith:

Welcome to the Platinum and Marriott circles! Congrats on your graduation and employment successes! We look forward to hearing about more stays at different locations. Please keep us posted as to your travels!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...