4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2012 10:45 AM by Jess RSS

Marriott beds--all hard?

Jess Gold 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, all. We've stayed at Marriotts in the past, but they weren't our exclusive choice. Recently, we bought a couple of Marriott timeshare weeks, so we've been leaning our travel plans more in the Marriott direction. This past weekend, we stayed at the Wentworth by the Sea, a lovely Marriott property in New Castle, New Hampshire. The place was wonderful, but the bed was uncomfortably hard.

In fact, after our first night, we asked if there were other rooms with softer beds, as both of us were already suffering from back pain from one night on that bed (with two more to go). We were assured that it was "the standard Marriott bed" and that all of the rooms had the same bed. To help us, they brought up an additional comforter, so we could lie on that to give some extra cushioning, but I have to say that I'm thrilled to be back home to my own bed.

The statement that it was the standard Marriott bed has me worried. I can't imagine I wouldn't have noticed this in the past, but has Marriott (recently or otherwise) standardized around some very firm mattresses? Will this be a regular challenge no matter what Marriott I'm in?

Thanks!

Regards,

Jess

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Castle, New Hampshire, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
  • Re: Marriott beds--all hard?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi Jess.  Welcome to the site!

How funny that you would have that take-away on the mattress.  My wife actually complains often about the softness of the mattress.  It could be that the 'standard' Marriott mattress is firm, but getting a new mattress on a Marriott stay would seem to me to be a rather rare occasion.  My own personal opinion is that most of the time I find the mattress softer than I would like.

despite the mattress, how did you like the property?  several folks on this site have raved about it as a must-see place.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jess Gold 2 Reviews

shoeman1000,

Other than the mattress, the property was lovely. The location is great, and the facility itself is beautiful.

It's not the ideal time of year to be on the New Hampshire coast, but a family event brought us up there. Had the weather of late last week held on (highs in the low 80s), it would have been perfect. Sadly, that was not to be, but we certainly can't attribute that to Marriott!  :-)

The Sunday brunch was okay but not amazing (I mention that, because I'd read about it being a big deal--lots of food but nothing that really stood out in terms of taste/quality), but, interestingly, a dinner we had that night in the Wentworth's restaurant was quite good. Really, we usually try not to eat in hotels, since we'd rather explore an area (and for breakfast/brunch, there's an amazing local place right down the road, called The Golden Egg, that I would highly recommend), but we wanted to try the brunch (and the dinner was just a matter of convenience, but that turned out rather well).

The amenities in the hotel were excellent, and the staff members were quite helpful. The view from our room was lovely, too. So in answer to your question, if not for the bed, I'd say I loved the place.

Regards,

Jess

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I find that the mattress is too soft in many Marriott's.  Renaissance on the other hand seems to have just the right bed.

Jess Gold 2 Reviews

Thanks, steppingstones. It may just be a matter of luck, as well as age of the mattress in question. Funny that you mention the Renaissance. There's one right in downtown Portsmouth, and we were thinking we'd try that for our next trip to the area.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...