24 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2012 3:06 PM by pevers RSS

Stays at Residence Inn and TownPlace Suites

pevers Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have always wondered why stays at Residence Inns and TownPlace Suites are worth half as many points as a stay at anyother property. Is it because both types of properties are set up for long-term stays?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Stays at Residence Inn and TownPlace Suites
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

pevers

good question.  I'm not sure we have ever really discussed, or been told why that is the case.  I always felt that it was a competitive area of the business and in order to be price competitive, they put the point structure in to place.  I could be totally wrong.    Anybody else have an explanation?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I suppose it was a conscious decision to award one half the points for RIs based on the fact that folks staying there for the most part are re locators, or folks whose house is being repaired aftera fire, etc., and not the normal business traveler.  In addition the full breakfast and afternoon reception (albeit less than in the past) might have been considered compensation for a traveler and worth something other than points.  I guess I really have no idea but these seem to be plausible explanations,

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I haven't relocated in the last 20 years...no fire damages at home...  I like Res Inns for the full kitchen and larger rooms. For folks like me that stay 5 days at a time, those two items help with sanity. 

Not sure why the 1/2 points

lairdma Platinum 1 Reviews

I stay at Towne Place Suites just about every week.  As a PPE, I do wish we would get a full point instead of a half point. 

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

The 'newer' Residence Inns (Long Beach Downtown comes to mind) have the kitchenettes and are set up more as meeting or business gathering hotels. The rooms are certainly not 'family stay' oriented like the older RI's with the separate bedrooms for family sleeping. This RI is a beautiful property.

It would be good to hear from Andy (or someone from Marriott) why the 5 point rule is in effect.....especially when their price points are not any better than some full service Marriotts.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

That's right pevers - extended stays of 30 days or more is a different business model, so the brands individually decided on their point awards.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

cm

the policy makes sense in theory, but in practice it doesn't work.  why not have a rolling policy that allows for full points in stays of less than 30 days, and 1/2 points for stays beyond the 30 day milestone?  why would Marriott alienate those folks that might choose these properties for a short stay just because of a rule that is in effect to protect Marriott from the extended stay guest?  doesn't seem to make any sense.  of course, rules not making sense seems to be a trend at Marriott at this time......

Good idea shoeman--I second that

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I'm happy to pass along the idea in case it's revisited but this will likely not change for the foreseeable future.

I like this idea as well. Having stayed frequently at RI's and TownPlace Suites, I have noticed that a large number of the guests are short-term business travelers such as myself. However, that is a function of location,

I like both the Resident Inns and TownPlace Suites. They are quite comfortable. but very importantly most of the ones I have stayed seem to have very low staff turnover. Due to my work, I seem to be back to the same location several times over the course of the year.  and I admit, it is nice to enter a location and be recognized by name by the staff.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

There are several brands that only give 5 points per dollar.  They include FF, CY, and Springfield Suites.

I've been looking for a place to address problems for long stays so that others would know what to do about them if their points go unposted.   The hotel must pre-close in order for points and nights to be posted or both points and nights could go unreported until you leave.  At this point, I'm not sure what would happen if they decided not to post all of them, or what would happen on missed Mega Bonus points or nights.

The desk clerk who had been taking care of the pre-close for us each time we were billed was offered a better paying job, so once she left, nobody else was shown to do this.

Be aware of personnel changes and how they can effect your nights and points reporting.

We've now finished the last 5 days of the Mega Bonus that we've actually had since the latter part of Feb.  Nothing had been posted to Marriott since Feb. 17, so we got credit for 25,000 points today and the points and nights for March will be posted next week.

I was also checking on a posting at CY that gave us too few point in March, but it was corrected by posting too many points by giving 10 points per dollar, so I'll have to ck. on that on Monday since the last CS answering wouldn't address that on Sat.

Are you sure CY is included?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Courtyard and SpringHill do the 10 for 1 point schedule. Just the longtermers....TPS and RI are 5. ExecuStay and Marriott Apartments do 2.5 to 1.

I am glad to find out that I had a faulty memory on how many points were offered where.  Thanks for the corrections.

Okay.  So now I just have to call CS to add back the 200 ck-in bonus they removed when correcting my points.

I guess FFI is also 10 to 1 then. 

FFI is ten to one, yes

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

eb,

If it helps, you can go to the Marriott Rewards page for "How You Earn" and if you hover over each of the brand names that appear at the top of the page, it will tell you how many points each brand name awards.  I do that once in a while when I'm not sure of one.

Thanks, tryt and SS.  I'm still learning how to navigate on this site.

Is there a way to get to the Acct., reservation, and "How to" pages from the MR Insiders?

So far, I have to leave MRI and sign in again under Marriott reservations.  But I just recently learned how to go from there to here.

Marriott Insider opens as a new tab on my machine. I have my tab setting (on Firefox) to open a new window as a tab. This should allow for a Insider to be in a new tab and the Marriott website to be retained. All you would need to do is click on the tab. IE allows for a similar type of action.

Thanks that is what I understood to be the case

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...