13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2012 9:06 PM by anadyr RSS

Meramec State Park, MO, Worth a Visit!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

If you are staying at the FF, in Fenton, Mo (40 miles away), or St. Robert, Mo (60 miles away), and are traveling down I-44 (Old historic Route 66), this park is worth a stop.  Just three miles off I-64, you can enjoy a picnic, walk or bike ride with your family, or loved ones, right along the scenic Meramec River.  The park offers camping, overnight rooms, a cave to enjoy, picnic tables and more.  You are about 30 miles away from Six Flags, so this is a place to enjoy some wonderful sightseeing for free.  Here are some pictures from today!

You may enjoy these Shoeman!

IMG_2058.JPG

I-64, Exit 226 and just three miles off Interstate to Meramec State Park.

Scenic drive to parkIMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

Interesting Visitor Center, note Red Bud in bloom!

IMG_2061.jpg

A little history!

IMG_2065.JPG

Lodging is available along with camping.

IMG_2066.JPG

Campsite, with many picnic tables.

IMG_2068.JPG

Fisher's Cave is worth exploring.

IMG_2070.JPG

Lazy Meramec River is great for canoeing, boating, fishing or just getting your feet wet!

IMG_2072.JPG

The forest is great for it's Spring beauty!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Fenton, Missouri, USA
Sullivan, Missouri, USA
St. Roberts, Missouri, USA
  • Re: Meramec State Park, MO, Worth a Visit!
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Jerry

you have done it again!  this is the park where we had our after-prom over niter and picnic the following day.  Oh the memories......

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Shoeman,

I have some great pictures, but for some reason, I cannot post!  Will keep trying!

Thanks for your kind comment.  By the way, had dinner last night at The American Bounty, in Washington, Mo., Just down the street from where you got married!

Shoeman, I may have things backward!  SS is in San Francisco, Jasper is in FL, you and others are in China, NYC, and I am at Meramec Park?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I have never been to Meramec Park, but our daughters had some type of sorority overnight event there.  I actually thought they were just connecting with nature till shoeman mentioned his post prom all nighter at this venue.  Maybe I just don't need to know...???

NU,

Am really frustrated about not being able to post pictures!  However, one thing I didn't understand is they say they close the gates at 9 PM.  However, there were rooms to rent, and all kinds of camping spots, I guess you don't get in/out after 9 PM. 

In simpler times, one of the reasons I went there today was I have not been back there since I took a date there in 1968!  I should have bought Marriott stock back then, but I was broke and don't even know if it was offered then.

Great memories!

PS, you had better give yourself a little extra time on that trip to St. Louis.  You have a lot to see!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I don't know if you read Smithsonian magazine Jerry. But the February 2012 issue contains a great article on the revival of historic Route 66. one of our favorite towns along the historic mother Road as John Steinbeck called it is Seligman Arizona have you been?

SS,

Yes, in 1979, I bought a new car and drove it to Los Angeles from St. Louis.  Visited all the places including Seligman, AZ.  It was a long trip, but most interesting.  What I could not believe was while in Berlin, Germany I found a shop that was devoted to Route 66.  I will have to find the magazine!

Enjoy the photo's!

Probably has not changed much since Shoeman's Prom Party!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Jerry

thanks again.  great memories!  Looks like all the aluminum cans got picked up........

Shoeman,

There were a few still there and a picture of you on the "Wanted Wall", at the Post Office, I said nothing!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...