6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2012 7:31 PM by pluto77 RSS

Bed Bugs

jroes006 Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and daughter had the unpleasant experience of itching and bumps from Bed Bugs at the Springhills suite location in Manchester NH right next to the airport.  She then did a google search and found that there were at least 4 other complaints logged on trip advisor of bed bugs being in the same floor as the one she was located in.  I took the time to check out the comments on trip advisor as well and was a little startled to se the responses from the GM at the hotel.  Each time they checked the rooms there are never any signs of bed bugs.  I did contact someone at Marriott who did sound like they are going to take it seriously.  I'm not one of these guys who thinks one bad experence is representative of the brand so I'm not going to stop staying at Marriott's, but this was my first time at a Springhill so I doubt I will go back to that sub brand within the brand.  So now I get to buy a some new luggage and my daughter gets to trash her Hello Kitty suitecase that she got for Christmas.  May sounds extreme, but I don't want any chance of bringing anything like that into my house.

Anyone else have this same experence at this location?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Manchester, New Hampshire, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Manchester-Boston Regional Airport
  • Re: Bed Bugs
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I stayed at the hotel last Sunday (3/18-19)....no issues. I was on the first floor if that means anything.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

From what I read it sounds like the issues are on the third floor.  Also have spent the better part of yesterday researching bed bugs and apparently they don't move around on their own often so if left alone they will stay in a localized area.  Could be why you had no issues.  At least I hope you don't later find out you in fact did.  Missing my wife, but I told her to leave the bed bugs in Maine before she comes home.  I got an email from the GM of the propperty so I am going to have my wife call and explain thed issues.  I'll be honest my biggest concern is just getting the room cleaned and the issue fixed.  I doubt I will ever be back there, but any future travelers shouldn't have to deal with this issue.  Hopefully this is the last time me or my family ever come across these pests while traveling.  I've never actually known anyone to have this issue before.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I don't see how it can be confined to the third floor.  Sheets have to be washed and changed, etc., and they undoubtedly get bundled and washed together.  I've heard bed  bugs can be an absolute nightmare to get rid of.  And they are not confined to just beds.  And yes, they can come home with you!  This is a horror story to me.  I am sorry; I don't mean to cause you undue alarm, but I certainly hope someone at the property will take the complaint seriously.  I wouldn't stop staying at Marriott's either, but I certainly will avoid that property.

Trust me I am already freaked out, my wife a little more so since she was the one that got fed on.  Anyway she is going to trash everything in the hopes of not bringing anything back.  Also heard that if you use lice shampoo that will kill them so she will be doing that tonight, tomorrow, and when she does get home.  Also sleeping in another spare bedroom for 2 weeks with my daughter (who was on the trip too).  This trip is going to be a costly one.  Trust me we will never be going back to that property again.  Nor will any friends or family after this experience.  I did get an email from the GM asking to talk about this because I also posted a review on Yelp.  I gave my wife the number so she will call him on Monday.  Here is an email sent from a trip advisor complaint.  Funny how they never seem to find the pesky bugs that are biting the people who stay there.  This same GM replied the same way to a similar complaint.  Basically like saying "must be your imagination no bugs here".

“bed bugs”

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 25 July 2011

Our family stayed here for one night, Sunday, July 24, 2011, in a 3rd floor room with two beds and a sleep sofa. We did not see the bugs, but one family member was bitten in approximately a dozen places. Only one bed seemed to be infested; the other members of the family (who were sleeping in other beds) and were nobitten.

Colwen Management, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Manchester Airport, responded to this review

2 August 2011

Dear Guest,
          Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. The comments you have made regarding bed bugs has been taken seriously. These comments have prompted us to inspect all rooms on the third floor with 2 double beds and a pull-out sofa. This process took time but was well worth it. There were no rooms found with any evidence of bed bugs. With the ongoing epidemic of bed bugs, we are staying ahead of the game by keeping our staff well trained in identifying the signs of bed bugs.
          Sincerely,

Amy L.
          General Manager

As an FYI the general manager emailed me on Sunday and said that they had a company coming that day to look at the room in question.  Today my wife contacted the GM and he said that the company didn't find any bed bugs in that room.  So my wife informed him that she had taken two pictures of the phantom bugs that she shook out of her hair.  He said he would get back to us by the end of the day.  It's now 7 pm and he has yet to call.  I have some serious doubts that this location ever actually sent anyone out.  One reason is because I know how hard it is to get a company out on a Sunday so I have my doubts.  Why not just not rent the room and have them come on Monday.  2. Where's the call back not that we have sent him the pictures from the cell phone?  I would expect more.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

jroes,

The responses you've been getting seem fishy.  The first response to the trip advisor is contradictory.  "There were no rooms found with any evidence of bed bugs. With the ongoing epidemic of bed bugs, we are staying ahead of the game by keeping our staff well trained in identifying the signs of bed bugs."  No rooms found with bugs, yet there is an ongoing epidemic of bed bugs?  Huh?  And you make good points about the second response.

Best for all of us to steer clear of this property.  I hope for you and your family's sake that you will never experience anything like this again (especially at a Marriott!)  It's good you are posting about it on travel forums.  It puts properties on notice and warns fellow travelers.  A property like this one that is not taking their customer complaints of this nature seriously, cannot thrive for long.  Reputations are hard to change.

Thank you so much for posting, and sorry for your unfortunate experience.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...