53 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2012 3:01 PM by alrenaissance RSS

What is needed to gain lifetime status

jlajhb Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have over 2000 nights and at least 2,500,000 points and have been a member for 16 years. I have been Platinum Premier for it seems at least 5 years. Where am I at?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What is needed to gain lifetime status
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

call the hotline.  I am sure you are, as they used to say, "in like Flint".

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Top of the heap as they say==welcome to Platinum Premiership and Lifetime Platinum!!!!!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

You have all three legs of the stool covered. I understand that Marriott will wait to let you know that you're Lifetime Platinum. Once you no longer qualify for Platinum the regular way, they'll send you the "stuff'.    That's what I've heard.

There is a Lifetime Platinum card and it is light gray in color

Stoney,

I've been led to believe that they don't acknowledge this lifetime level until you fall below Platinum. Is that true? I'm not there yet, I passed Gold Lifetime qualifiers a while back but was never notified.

Maybe so but in my case the card and notification arrived in the mail and in a separate mailing came the PLAT PREMIERE kit.  Ths happened three years in a row.

ss

are you saying that your" lifetime" platinum card gets sent to you "annually"???  Heck, that wasted money could go for free breakfasts for all of us!

Jedi has its privileges

very bizarre.  has anyone else ever received both a lifetime platinum card AND their yearly platinum or premier platinum card in the same year?

Forgot to mention that one year I got three, Platinum, Premier and Lifertime

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I only got one card, but called and had several sent so I can keep one at work, home, car, etc. Previous had one with a nice beach scene on it, and said expiration "lifetime" in small letters. The new one is light gray as someone else mentioned, and says "Lifetime" predominately displayed under Platinum at the top.

The card is very nice but I do miss the ones with the photos on them

texaschef Platinum 1 Reviews

SO, recently received the "Lifetime"gray card in the mail. Have traveled and stayed in 12 Marriott properties since January and my loyalty and considerable investment with Marriott has been rewarded and acknowledged in the following manner:

Yes....that was the long deafening sound of silence...no thanks or special greeting from any staff member. No upgrade . No free breakfast or heck, even a free cup ofcoffee. NOTHING

YEs, having achieved the top tier status with Marriott is all well and good, but Imust admit that I feel more love and gratitude from both Starwood and Hyatt who each  comped me their highest status this next year and I haven't even stayed in one of their properties yet.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes..it is sad...Marriott continues to under whelm many of us with their lack of customer service, which is continually deteriorating. I keep hoping the Marriott turns things around but am becoming more and more sketical!!!

Well this is the state of things, and might be for a time, with Marriott.  Seems that there's a danger they will take us for granted as top tier members.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes..I thought things would turn around in 2012, but to date that has not happened. We get lip service about upcoming changes, but nothing seems to happen on a timely basis....Sad!!!!

kingkamea Platinum 1 Reviews

I got my LPE cards for both Marriott and Ritz Carlton programs, along with PP card in the same year. Does that count?

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with Marriott. Maybe I am just getting lucky, but since I became a Marriott Platinum Lifetime Member (I think way back in around (2005-2006), when I received the Lifetime packet in the mail (I had never heard about it back then and was very happily surprised), I have almost always been upgraded, treated with great respect in all of the phone number departments, and gotten a lot out of the program in general for my loyalty, and for doing something I do and love anyway, travel. Last week I stopped in the Columbus, OH Renaissance, and when I called Plat Reservations, the agent even called the property in advance and blocked me an upgrade over the phone while I was on hold, even though I was about 2 hours away from destination. I was happy as usual, and this is just a small part of the things that I appreciate. I would really like to see the EEO's reinstated really be happy, especially since the Platinum point bonus was enhanced to 50%. I did not get this type of treatment in some of the other hotel chains when I got to the top tier. It is not that I am simply easy to please, I guess I just appreciate anything special in today's turbulent economical climate, and I am still very loyal to Marriott and their program.

Al

congrats on your upgrade batting average.  seems you are the first (and only) member to have this success rate.  Maybe you could share your method.

Hi Shoeman,

I guess I have been lucky with my upgrades. As I posted sometime before, I guess it all starts here:

"First thing I do is when booking on the phone with Marriott Platinum Reservations is to request an upgrade. The hotel will see your request, although it does not appear on your reservations that you have done so. The hotel will see it, and in my estimate, more than 50% of the time my room is already "preblocked" for me upon arrival, with an upgraded room number already assigned to me. This has been uniform for me at Marriott hotels/properties for years. I was wondering what other members do to increase their chances of getting an upgrade? I did not realize it was a problem for so many members, and thought perhaps individuals could share their "helpful hints" here. Everybody have a good day/evening! "

Best upgrade wishes to you and everyone else. Another trick I have is to always find out the property GM's name, if not to actually meet him. I then will sometimes ask for the GM when I call, and see about negotiating rates, which they are often receptive to if you present the right angle. Examples would be "I am getting in late the first evening, leaving early the last night, live close by, the place up the street is offering this rate, etc." It is surprising the power that they have to adjust rates to fill a vacant room, and especially after they punch in your Rewards number and get a look at your Platinum status. Sucess about 75% of the time! Will update more as I get a chance!

Great suggestions and thanks

You are welcome SteppingStones. I will post a few more methods I use here as soon as ZI can. It is just that I am at work right now, and got distracted, but I will get back to this. Good luck in your upgrade endeavors! - Al.

I have had moderate success but always try to be nice when asking

I agree! It always "pays" to be nice. I usually try that route anyway as I guess it is (hopefully!) part of my personality. The glass is always half-full, ya know? LOL! I will go out of my way to mention when things are nice, not only when bad. I think having an optimistic view, as well as a little experience, leads to my good success rate in terms of upgrades!

Please keep it up--there are enough grumpy folks around to deal with so we can be nice.

I hear ya. A lot of people have grumpy issues these days. Economy? I do not know what you it is. I like to put in a little positive outlook these days to at least try and provide hope to some!

The most amazing thing is that we sometimes forget that interpersonal communications are the bedrock of humanity.  I find the thumbs flying texters to be missing the whole point-- so I have not joined them.  People we come in contact with deserve our respect and should reciprocate.

I agree with you 100%. I rarely text as I tried for awhile, and got tired of playing with my whole phone issue, grabbing the phone and going into it just to get a response of "K". Then other times, I start a text conversation with somebody, and in the end it is just a "why don't I call you instead" text, which just wasted all the text effort, in essence.

Tou are welcome Step, I hope these suggestions were helpful. They are easy to do, and have always helped me along the way. Have a nice evening!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

great post, Al.

al

are you referring to the Ren in downtown columbus?  its a great property with a great concierge lounge and terrific restaurants nearby.  a few great steak buses if my memory is good.

Shoe,

What's a "steak bus"?

It is a vehicle that runs on bio diesel from grease remainders from Morton's or Ruths Chris, I suppose.

oh god help me......

I must have been punch drunk when I typed that.  I meant steak houses.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

That is great!

I wish I could say the same for the two places mentioned.  I really have not been a fan of either.

Jerry

the two I was referring to are local chains  Mitchell's Steakhouse and Hyde Park.  Both are actually pretty good.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Shoeman,

Thanks for mentioning these two steakhouses!

I really like the independent steak houses (Except Smith & Wollensky's, which I enjoy!).  Have not been to the two you suggested, but will try them. 

Your comment on the Columbus, Renaissance is right on!  Enjoyed that whole set-up and it's proximity to the The Convention Center.

It is the location near the steak house, all of which are $$$$$. Very nice place though. My first time there. Rate was great! (hey, that rhymes, LOL!)  Hope to come back, did 3 nights,  About $132 a night, with wi-fi, breakfast, and upgrade!