1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 21, 2012 1:46 PM by lizbeth RSS

St Thomas

allijeee Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Marriott Friends!

I have a question - My husband and I are planning on traveling to St. Thomas for our one year wedding anniversary in October.  We really are torn between the Rtiz and Frenchman's Reef.  The Ritz is obviously nicer and closer to Red Hook, and we would like to do a day trip to Jost and St. John, but it seems like Frenchman's is closer to the action/ has more to do, closer to the hotel.  What do you guys think?  Any ideas on where to stay???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: St Thomas
    lizbeth Platinum
    Currently Being Moderated

Hi, alijeee.  Our trip to St. Thomas last May was so great that we are going back again this May.  We are staying for the second time at Frenchman's Cove, which is adjacent to the Reef.  This year, we will be able to access the Reef''s amenities, and that will be great.  It was closed last year due to construction and renovation that lasted well into the fall.  The Cove is a timeshare villa property, and it is great to have space to spread out, private balconies, a kitchen (restaurant food is expensive) etc.  I have a hunch that the nightly cost isn't much more than that for the hotels, although I could be wrong.

I have been following various sites to see what people have to say about the Reef since construction has been completed, and the comments haven't been all that great, particularly in the area of service.  Folks at the Cove are just outstanding, and while Island time prevails, it is within acceptable limits.  From what I have read about the Reef, not so much.  The location of both properties is superb--one can catch a water taxi into Charlotte Amalie from the dock that ajoins both properties, and the cost is just a few dollars.  It's quick, fun, and very convenient.  Watching the cruise ships come into the harbor from the Cove was awesome, and is probably even more so from the Reef.  So, if convenience of location and access to the town are important, I certainly would opt for one of those.

We took a drive to the Ritz to check it out, and truth be told it is a beautiful property, but out in the middle of nowhere.  Even Red Hook is farther than you would think. Unless I planned to stay right on the grounds for most of the trip, I would not choose the Ritz.  It is also quite a way from the airport, and the roads don't make it any easier.  Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful time and a great anniversary.  We love St. Thomas, and plan to return to the Cove many more times.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...