30 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2012 8:42 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Visit Maine in summer in winter

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Our strange weather continues.  After a serious snowstorm last week (one of the few of the season, we've had summery weather  -- near 80) for two straight days in central Maine.  So come visit our beaches even before it turns spring -- although the water temp is 43....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Visit Maine in summer in winter
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

The rain in Maine is mainly in the summa as I recall.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Nay, SS.  The rain in Maine is normally in March (sorry I couldn't get it to rhyme.)  Normally the worst month of the year for cold, rain and ice, when even Boston is springlike.  But this March (except for the snowstorm) has been amazing -- it's possible we'll reach 85 by Thursday.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I am going to try to take a trip to Maine this year, around September. I lived in Revere Beach, Mass a few years but never got to Maine. And by the way, Maine Lobster is one of my favorite meals...

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I agree.  We went to Maine several years back, in October, and I remember how sweet tasting the lobster were that time of year. And all the leaves were turning such beautiful colors.  We've talked, many times, about going back there again.  So wonderful!

Y'all come on up!  While it took a lot of getting used to after living in Boston or Providence for nearly two decades, I've know lived in Maine 18 years.  You can even get the supermarkets to steam your lobsters for you, which at the times when they're about 4.99 a pound (alas, not right now) is quite a deal.

But seriously people are out wearing shorts.  And it is supposed to be even warmer the next two days.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Prof:

Enjoy it while you've got it!

Although the winter this year has been very mild, I can remember many a year when living up there and our thoughts of 'April showers bring May flowers' being dashed by late season snow in April and May....yuk!

Here's to an early summer!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I too long for summer since it has been cold here in CA

We are, TEF -- but it's a little like living in a parallel universe.  When you live in Maine in late winter/early spring, and it's been mild, you always wait for the other shoe to drop. Except with these temps and the ground warming up so much it's hard to see how a snowstorm could make headway (even though I think the latest on record was June). What a lovely thought...

Jasper:

Did you ever go to the Wonderland dog track while you were there or down the road a bit to Suffolk Downs in East Boston?

Wonderland is closed now (2010 I think). Probably well on the way to be more condos.

Have driven by it but never went in. But when we get to Maine, very much looking forward to by Maine Lobster!!!

There is nothing like a lobster right from the cold waters of Maine! De-e-elicious!!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I've been hovering around the Great State of Maine for the last few weeks. Haven't crossed the border.....NH one week, Boston one week, back to NH, now back in Southie. The CY in Southie is of a different ilk. Not sure if this an original build or one of those brand changeovers.

The weather, as you mentioned Prof, has been pristine. All the beautiful people come outside during the day when the weather is nice.

Two weeks back, the snow in NH was just being cleaned up. I took in Hart's Turkey Farm for an evening meal....I think it was tef that tipped me off for that one.

Come on up!  There are great things to do in the Commercial Street seaport area of Portland even if you don't head further north where I am confined .

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

ProfC,

We were right there on Commercial Street when we were there about 7 years ago, and loved the area!  If we get back there again, I will make sure we try and meet you!

I have never been to Maine, but a looking forward to visiting this year!!! Need my Maine Lobster fix!!!

It's a wonderful area, Tryt.  While much of Maine has been trying for decades to deal with an economic downturn because of logging, the paper industry, loss of shirt factories, and a general decline, Portland has really become a major attraction where lots of cruise ships even stop.  Beautiful lighthouses and historic sites and on summer days like today you can sit out on the restaurant patios and take it all in.

Let me know when you're back in Maine!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Maine and Oregon seem to have a lot in common!

DSC00177.JPG

DSC00175.JPG

DSC00174.JPG

DSC00172.JPG

Including the biggest city name!  I once missed a flight to BOS that had landed from Europe at JFK and asked if they could get me on a flight to Portland (I did say PWM), and the woman did so and rechecked my baggage.  Thank heavens I looked at the screen as I was exiting the post-customs rechecking area and found they had scheduled me to go to Oregon.  They had to do a manhunt quickly for my suitcase.  Obviously geography is not a subject well studied in US schools these days...

pained:

Harts has always been a really good take for the food. Hope it was good!

Is the Southie CY still doing free breakfast for Platinums?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Tef,

It wasn't offered and I didn't think to ask. Boston is blooming with good will today. Just beautiful.

pained:

Last time I was there (South Boston Courtyard, just to be sure) I had a reservation that included breakfast in the price. When checking in I was told that Plat's get free breakfast at that CY and she changed my reservation to a lower rate that didn't have breakfast attached to it....and I got the free breakfast. Nice gesture!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

This post brings back a lot of great memories.  Used to dine a place in Waterville, called Three Sister's, it was a classy place.  Likewise, in Portland, there were places, not fancy, that you could get two lobster tales for $10.  There is also something "Magical" about seeing Bar Harbor, and Acadia National Park.  Visited LL Bean and bought some items, but I don't remember what city they were located in. 

Wish I had some photo's to share, but memories are still great to share!

Hi Jerry,

Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park (did you know it's the only national park in the northeast) are my favorite places in Maine.  Alas, in Waterville, Three Sisters is no longer around, but the town itself has been picking up over the past decade after being in a real decline the first several years I was here (not because of me).  The closest Marriott is still in Augusta, but the only one I ever stay at in Maine is in Portland when I'm flying out of there.  But I'll settle for improvements in the local economy and somewhat better dining and cultural offerings.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Thanks for the "Maine update"!

It's a great place, so much "Fresh air" and "Raw beauty", there is really something special about Maine.

Thanks for reminding us!

PS - Believe it or not I've only been to the shopping outlets (Freeport for LLBean and Kittery for many others) only once in 18 years and when a friend asked me to go with her.  But that says lots more about me than the shopping outlets!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...