21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2012 1:55 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Zugspitzer, Bavaria, Germany

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Not far from the comfortable Marriott properties in Munich (Or accessible from Salzburg, Austria), is a wonderful place to hike, ski, or just see.  The Zugspitzer, is the highest point in Germany and is breathtaking to experience.  There is no Marriott properties in the town of Garmisch, but it is about a one hour drive from Munich.  You may want to take in the wonderful city of Oberammergau, (Passion Play, once every decade), but will save that for another story.  There is much to see and do in this area of Bavaria.

Let's start with the Lift to the top and some other photo's of interest.  You will note the scenes at the top!  No 2bc up there, but you may have a "Shot" to prepare you for the ride back down!

A day of fun, in Bavaria!

HPIM0162.JPGHPIM0160.JPGHPIM0176.JPGHPIM0177.JPGHPIM0182.JPGHPIM0184.JPGHPIM0202.JPGHPIM0216.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Munich, Germany
Zugspitze, Germany
  • Re: Zugspitzer, Bavaria, Germany
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

cow.jpgThanks Jerry for those wonderful reminders of the Bavarian Alps.

Yes it is great to get to the top of the Zugspitz and then walk into Austria along the ridge line. Have you done in all seasons?  Really a sight on a clear day in winter.

Here's one of the well trained German cows walking through the streets en route to a warm house and plenty of hay and water!

Nice but smelly pets

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I recall going up to the zugspitze in the summer.  seemed like a 20 degree drop in temp once we reached the top.  A much anticipated cold beer turned into a hot chocalate.  but still fun.

If the snow melted any time of the year I can't recall it.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Fantastic, Jerry.  Thanks for sharing these.

(So I can forget Normandy and London next Spring.  Must return to Germany to experience this wonder and many others proximal to it before the kids PCS stateside!)

Pluto,

Don't forget your other "Dreams", we can only visit so much in a day.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I am suddenly aware that I am running out of time in Germany.  Only have until about late summer 2013.  Will have to squeeze it all in with only two more trips; one at Christmas, and one next spring/summer.  It just makes sense to go there while family is there.   Everywhere else will have to wait.

Go while they're there--is it a great place to visit, and worth the effort too

Yes,

As SS say's, enjoy a great place while you are there!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Thank You for taking the time post the pictures of the Zugspitzer.  Awesome shots!

gm1,

Thanks, and here are a few more photo's you may enjoy!HPIM0159.JPG

HPIM0190.JPG

HPIM0204.JPG

HPIM0206.JPG

HPIM0207.JPG

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Jerrycoin,

Thank you again.  The Bavarian Alps is a destination on my bucket list.  I have always wanted to hike in both the Swiss and Bavarian Alps.  In fact, at some point in the future, I would like to hike up Zugspitze and ride the cable car down. 

gm1,

You are in for a LONG WALK, i really don't know if you can even do it, but I wish you the best.  You will have to do it without snow, and take the weather into consideration, it changes a lot.  If you do attempt, I strongly suggest the old Renaissance, it is a wonderful hotel. 

Good luck!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Jerrycoin,

Thank you for the added insight.  You are definitely correct about the weather, it can be a major factor in an enjoyable hike or even be a good reason to ride the cable car in each direction.

gm1,

Yes, you will want to have two plans for each day.  If the weather is good or bad.  I have seen the weather really change in a hurry, when you get into mountains.  Fog was always a concern, even more than snow in the Alps.  It only happened  once, but I was driving across The Julian Pass and hit two "White Outs", that was scary!

By the way, people really love to hike in this region.  It was about a mile to town, and the trail was always crowded with hikers.

Have a good day!

I would suggest hiking with someone when you go and having a cell with you too.  It can get treacherous very quickly on this highest peak in Germany.

Good advice, because I am not going out of the country without a satellite phone!  Too much uncertainty in the world, and AMEX will provide me with one that is free, you just have to pay for your time.  I don't plan to use it, but it is there for emergency.  Maybe Marriott should have a program like this for their PP?

I agree, and this is a great way to be mobile even in remote places.  I have heard that cell coverage is fair in Garmisch but cannot confirm that with recent trips.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Jerrycoin and Steppingstones,

Again, thank you for the suggestions.  It is absolutely no fun getting caught above tree line in a summer storm while hiking (or in the winter while driving on a treacherous mountain pass).  

GM1,

If you want to pay more, you can climb to the spot in picture #1. I wouldn't do it, and it is a scary just watching these people doing it.  Each to their own!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...