5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2012 11:00 AM by NathalieF RSS

e-certificate is more expensive than the room cost????

beachbouy Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Why do e-certificate(s) cost more to purchase than the room cost?  I have found it is cheaper to just pay for a room at the Fairfield Inn Bryan College Station than to purchase addition certificates.... does not make sense to me!

Three nights is 45,000 points and I have 21,192 points and to purchase 24,000 points to get to 45,000 points is $300.00  If I book the room without using an  e-certificate the entire stay is $345.

I do not understand the logic!  Can someone explain it to me?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: e-certificate is more expensive than the room cost????
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Points are not cheap when the have to be bought. It rarely is a good deal to buy points to reach a level for a free stay at a property. Paying the room rate will be better in most cases. If someone has enough points in their account to fully cover a stay the price is zero. That's a good deal. The logic to the issue is that in some cases, but very few, it might give you an advantage to buy points. But, that's a rare bird indeed. You could get one night free with points and pay for two, but that's a choice for you.

When points must be purchased to cover a points stay the price to pay for the room will always have to be compared to the price for points + cash spent to cover the cost. My guess is that in most every case the cost to pay the rate for the stay will be the better option (and you get more points added to your account). I have never bought points to attain enough for a stay. The math has never worked for me. But, that's just me. Others may have a different opinion. Bottom line is that it has to work for you...and this one doesn't seem to make sense to buy points. Stay, pay and get more points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

beachbouy Gold

I should have ordered a certificate a few days ago before the before the rate increase that took place.... it was just wrong that they did not notify us via email of the upcoming change.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Ya, what Tef6178 said. We do post news and promotions within the Insiders community for an exclusive first access. Check out the Exclusive Sneak Peaks link under Quick Links. If you don't visit the section regularly, you can either "follow" that blog for updates within your activity stream, or you can track in communications for notifications of new activity. 2011 Annual Hotel Category Changes

beachbouy Gold

That's rather old..here are the current changes effective March 15, 2012 .2012 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes List

100 hotels are decreasing by one category (3% of Marriott brand hotels globally).

526 hotels are increasing by one category (15% of Marriott brand hotels globally).

But I now understand that I have to watch them closer than I thought would be necessary.  I should not have had to subscribe to a "Insiders" blog to find this out.

Thanks for you input as I now consider this discussion closed for my purpose.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks beachbouy - my apologies for the old link

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...