32 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2012 5:09 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Neuschwanstien, Germany

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Lori,

On your upcoming trip, try to take this place in!

A reasonably short drive from Munich CY, Marriott or RI you can drive to a most interesting place.  You will enjoy this place, and just remember to take a shuttle up the hill.  I walked it, up and down, but it is much easier to take a shuttle.  Here are some pictures you may enjoy:

HPIM0058.JPGHPIM0105.JPGmuni

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Munich, Germany
Oberstaufen, Germany
  • Re: Neuschwanstien, Germany
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I walked once and rode all the other times--much easier to take the horse carriage.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Jerry,

I've been there.  It was wonderful.  When you say upcoming trip, you mean in December, right?  This morning I posted some pics of a white German winter on another thread somewhere.

SS, you've been up to the hill to the castle multiple times.  Must really love it.

In 2010, we visited Munich, and then shot down to Fussen (or maybe it was the other way around?).  In Munich, we stayed at the CY downtown; the one that is close to the hauptbahnhof (sp?).  The room at the Courtyard was comfortable, if not fancy, but the rate was pleasant, and therefore I have no complaints.  It was a good deal.  The street that the Courtyard is on is not very nice looking, but it is certainly safe and the property is close to both the train station and within walking distance to the Altstadt and Marienplatz.  I must say that I don't feel like I got my fill of Munich.  It was hot and we traveled with a baby.  Didn't get a lot of pics, as most were taken with the kids camera, and now reside on a broken hard drive.  If the winter weather is cooperative this Christmas, I might venture back, as isn't there a big Christmas Markt there?

I loved Neuschwanstien.  The weather was beautiful (June), the castle was beautiful, and the scenery was breathtaking.  We took the horse drawn carriage up the hill for a fun treat, and found a pleasant Italian restaurant in town for dinner.  I long to return and also spend time in Garmisch and take a ride on one of the aerial cable cars to the Zugtspitze.  The U.S. Army has a resort in Garmisch called Edelweiss.  You have to be active duty (or possibly retired) military to stay there.  The photos are beautiful.  I just happened to go through all of my travel photos of Germany yesterday.  I have never really thought that I cared too very much for Germany (it's difficult to appreciate when one loves France and Italy so much), but looking through photos, I realize that I have definitely under-appreciated this fine country.  Perhaps I'll put together a photo album on here of Bavaria, to include Heidelberg (wonderful CY there) and the Romantic Rhine.

Edelweiss Resort Garmisch Map.gif

US. Army, Edelweiss Resort in Garmisch

Many a TDY took me to Garmisch in my working days.  Loved the town, the Bavarian Alps, and the cows with the large cow bells heading home at night!!!

SS,

Sounds like some wonderful duty.  Lucky you.

Yes it was, all those times I complained that the travel was too strenuous--ha, that was then, now it really is.  Loved all of Bavaria, but this part is special.  On the Amazing Race last night they were in Bavaria and it brought back memories of days past.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

very fond memories of all of FRG, but especially garmish area.  In fact, my wife and I are talking about catching a military hop over there this fall and staying in military lodging for a few days.  can't beat the price of the trip!  makes the food and beer taste that much better.

Like Nebraska?  Loved Germany even before the wall came down, and still do.  It is affordable especially in Military Lodging, which I barely qualify for!

I left Europe in 1983, several years before the wall came down so it's hard to imagine being able to drive to Berlin now without having to go thru checkpoint alpha and bravo, and then of course checkpoint charlie to enter east berlin.

Good friends were both Army train commanders on that military train that went from West Germany to West Berlin.  After a few drinks they tell some interesting tales.  What a time that was.sector.jpg  Remember this sign?

Oh yes.  remember it well.  I did actually take some pictures back then, but not sure which shoe box they're in.  Wife and I went into East berlin twice I believe...once by tour bus and once walking.  Too much detail for me to type, but going on foot was not the best way to avoid harassment from the Soviet soldiers and east berlin police.

SS and Husker,

Does this look familiar?  What a place (Another story, another thread).

PTDC0039.JPG

sure does Jerry

Sounds nice, nuhusker.  I should've at least stayed in the reserves and retired as a reservist.  But can you imagine my space A priority as a retired reservist?!!!  Always on the list, but never able to get manifested!  I'd be like the proverbial Walmart greeter. "Welcome to the Air Force Passenger terminal, where I am a permanent fixture."  Kind of like, "Welcome to the Hotel California, you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...!"  As a non-reitred vet, I don't get much except a heart that swells with pride, and that's just perfectly OK!  My daughter flew home space A in October-November while her husband was out training.  Boy, what a fiasco that was.  I never knew from day to day if I was driving to Ft. Lewis/Mc Chord or March AFB to pick her up.  But it all worked out.  I don't know how she did it with two babies - well, yes I do.  She's young!  When "Chief" deploys, her space A status will get bumped up a category or two, and what with airfare prices lately, that will definitely come in handy.

Here's the link to the Army's Edelweiss Lodge and Resort in Garmisch.  It looks really beautiful.  The rooms look quite nice.  I personally think the deluxe cabins look very cool, with the all wood tongue and groove walls, ceilings and floors.

http://www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/home.html

HPIM0232.JPG

SS,

"Here's lookin at you kid"!

This was in Oberstaufen, on the Western side of SE Germany.  A resort town, you can see in the background.

Location Brand Hotel
        Oberstaufen, Germany

Cady Cow.jpg

NW Arkansas.  Oh wait, nevermind!

Moo!!!!

Pluto,

I am going to post some pictures of The Zugspitzer and the cable car ride to the top!  It's very breathtaking.  It will be on a new "Thread".

Look forward to it, Jerry.

you're right -- military retirees can stay there too.

NU,

This look good?

This is at the wonderful cafe, where you take the carts to the castle!

Had to have a "Small" one, I think was a liter!

HPIM0116.JPG

I think it's wierd that all of the beer glasses have a line on them.  The German beer police...I just don't get it!  Isn't that taking regulation just a bit too far?!

don't worry about the line on the glass.  After a couple you don't recognize it as a line anymore anyway.

Who used a glass? We always just leaned under the spout!

pluto,

The Germans don't take the lines as serious as the Swiss!

They really are perfectionists when it comes to time and lines on a glass.  I enjoy all of their nationalism and warm ways of treating tourists like me.

Even without glasses I could never see the line, but that might have been for other reasons.  And any nation that feels so passionately about beer to pass the Reinheitsgebot gets my everlasting congratulations and admiration.

The Swiss really are perfectionistic when it comes to craftsmanship.  But I'll still never forget the way that Swiss customs agent gave me the evil eye (vee have vays of finding out who you reallly are ) one time in Zurich.  Guess I must've looked like a spy - Grandmere Lori in her blue jeans and scarf.

you never know, even TSA suspects grandmothers and six year olds!

And three year old in a wheel chair!! Ridiculous!

NU,

Nancy, gets searched the most of anyone I know!  When we left you in Phoenix, she got stopped and checked for "Gun Powder Residue!"  Did she seem like a "Threat" to you?

looks like my kind of place.  thanks

Merrian Bridge from the Castle.

HPIM0068.JPG

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...