29 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2014 12:06 PM by anadyr RSS

AMEX charges--a word to the wise

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've had the American Express Open Business Card since 2003 with nary a problem in that time. I have however set a fraud alert on the card -- a free service -- that emails and calls me if there is suspicious activity on the card. Today that alert was triggered when a ten dollar Internet charge  hit for something at 5 am PDT and a vendor that I did not recognize.  I called as they suggested and spoke to a very sympathetic and caring associate who canceled the card, and will have a new one to me by Monday, UPS next day air.  A great experience with customer service.

Afterwards I checked the vendor who was involved in the ten dollar charge.  Seems that it is part of the wonderful world of rental cars these days--there is a separate company that handles toll charges for rental cars.  In this case an Alamo rental in Florida where toll booths have been eliminated and they take a photo of the car's plates instead.  This apparently was the reason for the charge, some FLA Turnpike Tolls and of course, a service charge!

Bottom line (s):

1. American Express gets high marks for customer service, even thanking me for being a loyal customer,
  2. Rental car charges seem to be never ending. Fine print is everywhere.
  3. And a reminder to always check your statements and have a fraud or large purchase alert on your card.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Georgia, USA
  • Re: AMEX charges--a word to the wise
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

sounds like no harm, no foul to me.  but good advise no less.....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Yes it was no harm and I needed a new card since I had just about erased the old one with constant use!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

In Florida (mid-state mostly) they have many places where you travel a toll road...but they don't tell you that there is no one to collect a toll from you when you leave on certain exits. They have a coin collection machine for the exact amount, or a scanner for the SunPass toll device, but how many visitors carry the exact amount of change to put in a vend toll machine at an exit? Visitors don't have the SunPass system for toll collection and not all rental cars have it either. So, it's correct change or 'drive through'. Many people just drive through the toll and 'snap'!...you're on Candid Camera!

The only way to get around having the exact change is to have the Florida toll system (SunPass, etc.) installed in your car. Thank goodness I have it...but I really feel for the poor folks who expect someone at the service booth only to find that there is no one. What else can they do?...back up and re-enter the turnpike until they reach an exit that has a toll taker??? I think not...they just go through. Then FL sends a bill for the toll and a service charge for collection....and, as in your case, they collect $10 for a toll that was probably 2 or 3$$. It's a money maker!

Yes except the Turnpike there is a no booth thing--it takes a photo of your license plate, even a rental, and adds a service charge to it as well.

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

I like that in California they have change machines at some of the unattended booths.   Ran into one when I drove north from San Diego.   It solves the problem for the tourist who is expecting the exact change only situation.   Unless of course the plan is to "gotcha" out of towners...

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

The SunPass can be bought at grocery stores and maybe other places, too.  We bought one at a Publix in Orlando.  They have to be activated before use, though.  I think that can be done by phone a few days before use.

BTW, Publix also has offers on a $50 gas card for $40 when $50 of groceries are bought sometimes.  There is one of those offers going on now.

politicalman Gold 3 Reviews

Publix has that going on but sometimes they charge an activation fee which makes it much less a good deal

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I've never experienced that.  That would be hard to take.  I just bought one for $40 today, but I've used several in the past, all Shell.

BTW, which offer are you talking about with the activation fee?  SunPass or gas card?

politicalman Gold 3 Reviews

Gas card--Sometimes advertised for 10 off 50 then in fine print +$4.95 activation.

globaltreker Platinum

I live in South Florida and most if not all toll roads are now electronic as many have stated.  All the renal car companies know this as well and should be informing the renters!

Not sure about north florida, but all the signage in south florida toll roadways clearly inform drivers that the toll boths are 100% electronic and no attendants or cash is accepted.

If the rental car companies don't offer a way for you to pay the electronic tolls automatically, they are required by the state to add the fees to your rental agreement.  This is a state requirement.  Many states do the same thing.  This is not anything new in the US.

There are six small print paragraphs that accompany rental receipts for Alamo and this was in para three. I assumed that I could pay cash and avoid these tolls all together but that option was not available in the Florida Turnpike near Miami.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

This is "In-valuable" information for any AMEX cardholder!

After the recent "Target problems", one cannot be to careful!

Thank-you so much!

I hope the "God's" from Marriott remember you for this information, when they look for:

"Best travel tips for 2014"!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I've gotten charges to my AMEX card from a car rental toll pass company some two month after the tolls were dated, it's nuts.  But, yes I agree the CS I've always received from AMEX has been nothing but excellent.

When traveling and unable to get a car with a toll pass in states where you have to use exact change, best way to solve the problem is to have NO change or cash on you, then when you see the "NO CASH LANE" sign just head over to that lane.....you had no cash right!!!

I do not need and have not bought a toll pass extra at rental at Hertz or National. In two cases I have been flagged for toll evasion (photo shopped as it were) but in both the "service charge" was waived due to my 'exalted or exhausted' status, and in the second instance the entire charge was waived.  And of course I mentioned your name!

As you should have!

and I also mentioned my UAL Silver status!!!!

Now there is the fool proof way to get all erroneous charges removed 100% of the time, plus access to a First Class upgrade.

Now thinking about it, those times I went through the No Cash Lane I don't recall ever getting a fine or service charge added.

We are indeed special!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...