14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2012 1:18 AM by anadyr RSS

Computer History Museum, Sunnyvale CA, USA

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

mouse.jpgQuick question:  who invented the Mouse and when was it first introduced?  The answer to this and other questions needing an answer can be found at the Computer History Museum in Sunnyvale CA.  There are many things there that were found in dumps and trash piles, the ultimate fate of outdated hardware in the disposable age we live in.

Docents are disarmingly knowledgeable and ready to challenge anyone for techno-knowledge, since after all this is nearly in the center of Silicon Valley!  If you want to show anyone young enough not to remember what an Eniac is, or TRS-80, or Lisa, then this is the place to go.

trs 80.jpg

And there's both an In'N'Out Burger and Krispy Kreme location less than a half mile away!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Sunnyvale, California, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I
  • Re: Computer History Museum, Sunnyvale CA, USA
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

That would be a fun museum to visit.  Especially for us "computer geeks".

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I've been an IT professional for - ahem, too many years.  Will have to pay this little museum a visit.  May even have some items to contribute!

Yes, me too.  Now let's see, where did I put that Commodore Vic 20?

They have several as I recall

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hehe, ya, "Now where did I put that old System/360?"  Actually, I think I have a platter from an old 2314 dasd drive.  6250 bpi tape, anyone?  But they already have all of those models, I'm sure.  I didn't enter the scene until about 1980. 

Their 360 collection is quite expansive since IBM was located not far away from the place.  They also have some CRAY Supercomputers there as well.

I currently work on software for the IBM midrange System i (name progression is as follows: System 38 -> System 36 -> AS400 -> eServer iSeries -> System i -> IBM i for Power Series), so I can identify with the old mainframes and then the midrange systems that came along later.  Most of these midrange systems blow away the old mainframes in term of computing power.

norden.jpgThey even have a Norden Bombsight (USAF page shown at right) there -- a rare thing to behold.  They are always looking for items and would appreciate any you might have even non-working ones.  I was able to find a version of the Enigma machine there, the device for encryption used by the Germans in WWII.

johnh Member 5 Reviews

Hey thanks for the writeup on CHM.  Please note that the Museum is in Mountain View, not Sunnyvale.

Sorry, I always associate that exit off 101 as Sunnyvale even though it is 94043

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...