2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2012 8:20 PM by anadyr RSS

Your 5 megaton blast withstanding hideaway in Carmel Valley CA

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Jamesburg.jpgRight out of the pages of a 1970's spy novel, and hidden in plain sight, the Jamesburg Earth Station located in a rural area of Carmel Valley, California was in the hands of AT&T and COMSAT for  a long time (1969 through 2002) and then has passed through several private owners. It may be still for sale, hard to say.

It's a weird kind of place, formerly guarded 24 hours a day, but now visitors can call the realtor for access, I hope. One wag described the huge dish, frozen in an upright position, as the world's biggest birdbath!

It was built to withstand a 5 MT atomic blast, cold comfort in the Cold War.  A realtor who was attempting to sell this unique place posted a good video of the site here.

So, if you are lost on rural Carmel Valley Road near the hamlet of Cachagua, far from civilization, see if you can get in and take a look at the place.  From what I hear some of the mechanisms that move the dish are now working again.

Here's a Google Map overhead view of the place.

18773 Cachagua Road, Carmel Valley, CA 93924 - Google Maps - Mozilla Firefox 3112012 113145 AM.bmp.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Carmel Valley, California, USA
  • Re: Your 5 megaton blast withstanding hideaway in Carmel Valley CA
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

SS,

Thanks for the thought about the realtor, but did I mention we prefer a rambler?  That is some really cool history though!!  The cold war, all those fond memories, NOT!  Did I mention that my wife dug her own bomb shelter in her backyard when she was in 2nd grade (No, we were not married yet )?  Her parents never really paid attention to what she was doing out there, until it was done

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Your 5 megaton blast withstanding hideaway in Carmel Valley CA
      Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I don't know or have three million to plunk down for the place but with CA's prop 13 the property taxes would only be 30K  a year, not bad, and it is 160 acres of sagebrush, which could become a vineyard: name it Dish-Vandel Estates, or Pinot Megaton Ton?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...