17 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2012 11:17 PM by anadyr RSS

So about that sock juice…

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I absolutely refuse to drink the utter nastiness that the in-room coffee represents, and that's coming from someone that spent 11 years of a 20-year Navy career at sea. Trust me, I know what bad coffee is.  I have found in a couple Courtyards—CY San Diego Liberty Station comes to mind—an absolutely wonderful alternative to the Playskool coffeemakers stocked with ten-year old coffee. There are hotel-service design Keurig (K Cup) machines that, with decent water, make a drinkable cuppa joe.  There was a small selection of coffee & tea in the room, but the beauty of it is, I can bring cups from home, or I can simply go to the nearest BB&B, Sears, Target, or Wally World and get a box of my preferred brew for use in the hotel.  Also, with the selection of teas & hot chocolate available in K Cups now, everyone can have their favorite. Even Starbuck's has most of their coffees in K Cups now (or Dunkin Donuts, if you prefer).  The CL could even keep a small variety for us to take back to the room.

So, Insiders, is this one of those things that would make you a happier camper?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: So about that sock juice…
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I vote yes...good idea JK

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

This is a splendid idea!  I love/need my cup of coffee and would be highly motivated by the hotel that provides that to me.  As I have stated before, I love the Ritz coffee and that feature is one reason why I stay there.  I am all for this!  Great idea.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

The average hotel coffee lacks everything.  Give me a Peet's regular no room anytime

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

yup.  sock juice   -  heck it's not that good.......

Navy coffee was the all time worst

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I always thought you should use fresh water instead of salt water anyway

I just meant that some of their coffee was so strong that a spoon could be made to stay upright in it!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Uh uh.  Marine coffee.  The thing is, the pot never got rinsed or cleaned.  Real sock juice.  It'll give you the shivers.

I mean the shakes.

War, story:  National Military Command Center, Pentagon, Washington DC, 1970--the coffee mess was controlled by the senior NCO's and since we were a 24/7 operation, the coffee was always on, as were we!  Many times it went through the Bunn Coffee maker three times with a new scoop or two of fresh PX coffee added, and then from time to time something that looked like sawdust!  Anyway, in those pre-Latte, Machiatto, half caff days, it made us Alert in what was euphemistically called the "Alert Center."  Notice the Red Phone?  I have a tale to tell about that one, but this is after all, a travel site so....

NMCC.jpg

Um, Steppingstones, you - win!  (I'm not sure what, but...eew, heh, that story definitely gives new meaning to the term 'alert!')

It was in a galaxy far, far away as the line goes.

Sorry to digress, Kernitzki.  K cups sound great, but the bottom line for me is that, so long as I can have it in my room while I am performing my morning rituals which serve to deem my appearance tolerable to the public eye, any coffee will just about do for me.  (I have even been known to pack a 4 cup coffee maker in my luggage on trips to Europe and other très étranges places that have the audacity to omit in-room coffee.  In room coffee is that important to me!)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I am glad that I do not drink coffee!!!

Hmm. was that in your profile?

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I don't smoke either and that is not in my profile either!!!

Hmm, what else are you keeping from us?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...