15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2012 2:31 PM by profchiara RSS

Platinum Member: what's the best pick for NYC????

biscottino Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I'm a platnum member and i have to book an hotel in NYC.

The list of the possible hotel is the following one:

Times Square South Courtyard

East Side

Renaissance 57

Courtyard Midtown East

Fairfield Soho Chelsea

What's the best pick for a Platinum Member?

I'm interested above of all for the part that concerns platinum privileges

For what hotel, is the breakfast free? For you, Is it possible to have CL in one of the above hotels?

And what about free wifi?

And what about room upgrades?

I thought also a the Renaissance Times Square spending 20.000 points more.

What's the privileges for this hotel?

Thank you in advance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Member: what's the best pick for NYC????
    kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

I am a great fan of the Renaissance 57.     It is a smaller-boutique type of hotel with a lovely Concierge Lounge & offers free wi-fi & breakfast (even on weekends).     The location is perfect for shopping, theater, sight-seeing.   Staff is terrific too!     The rooms are small - they call them cozy - so if you need more space be sure to request a larger room.     Hope you enjoy your trip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

J&RPratta Platinum 2 Reviews

I, too, am a fan of the Renaissance 57!  We just took our daughter and her family in January.  It was our grand-daughters first time in NYC.  The weather was snowy and cold but the fireplace in the lobby was warm and inviting! 

photo.JPGThe staff was phenomenal.   I especially want to give a special shout-out to Cora Mignano, Assistant Front Office Manager.  She was terrific!

IMG_0427.JPGA Photo in front of the hotel.  My grand-daughters first NYC cab ride!

steve67 Platinum 2 Reviews

I've stayed at the Marriott East Side half a dozen times or so and like it for it's location and amenities.  I've also stayed at the Renaissance and Marriott in Times Square and definitely prefer the East Side over the other two.  They're fine, as well, but the East Side is just a few blocks away from Times Square if you want to walk over there and it's a little quieter than the other two.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

There are lots of factors, and, frankly, price and availability and room choice all come into play.  There's a pretty extensive thread, with lots of comments, here: https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/8367

Oh, and Platinums receive free internet at all of these hotels.

In your calculus, particularly if you're going to be there for a while, don't overlook the Residence Inn at Times Square - some of the higher floors have really nice views, the free breakfast (including weekends) is quite varied and good, and we've found the rooms to be extremely comfortable, modern, and attractive.

I've only stayed at the Renaissance Times Square once, but it's quite nice (and the location is great).  My experience (see above) is that it commands a huge (disproportionate) price premium, and I'm not sure it's worth it.

I've had terrific luck with pricing at the Renaissance 57, which I really like (for short stays), but many of the rooms are quite small (very urban "tight"), but fully functional.  If I'm in NYC for work, this is not a place I could stay for more than a day or two - while stylish, the rooms are too claustrophobic for me.  Almost everyone raves about the staff here - it's a very well run property!

My family really enjoys the Marriott East Side - we like everything about it, and we've landed very good rates there a number of times.  (Note: when they say "cozy room," they mean it.) My son's all time favorite suite upgrade was at this hotel - he dubbed it the James Bond suite.

We've had better luck at the Marquis than other Insiders.  It's not perfect, but it's been fun for us. We had one of the suites once, and it was very comfortable.

We're not big fans of the Courtyard at Times Square (and I'm unimpressed/unhappy with the current Courtyard breakfast scheme).

Good luck!

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

I'm just back from the Renaissance 57. Booked a cozy room at a great special rate of $169 but as the room was full on my 1st night i had to stick with the cozy room which was so tiny, it was not pleasant and I banged my leg all the time on the ridiculous bed frame (so unsuited to this size of room). The windows were poorly glazed and the noise on the 11th floor kept me awake, so i had to put earplugs in. The hotel is very nice though with some great staff and the location is good (so handy for Bloomingdales!). Exec lounge is shared as the public bar in the evening with some excellent food (make a choice from the menu) and its key entry only for breakfast except at weekends.

Usually stay at the Marriott Downtown which is always good. Lovely property, good concierge lounge (closed on weekends) and good location by the WTC site. Have also stayed at the Marriott Marquis which is also good but its so big its a bit of an impersonal hotel and there;s so many people milling around its like a factory. But the rooms are big and comfortable and of course the location is amazing.

Message was edited by: platinumstar

mortgagephil Platinum 4 Reviews

The 57 is really a special hotel.  I was not offered any upgrades as a Platinum and I did not ask.  However, I have stayed there 2 or 3 times.  Each time the staff has been awesome.  Last time i had a family emergency at 10pm and had to book a flight out and they took 1/2 off the room that night.   I was not expecting them to basically comp me.   But, the rooms are very tight.  Get the room with the terrace. Small, but you can step out on the terrace and have a glass of wine and not feel so tight.

The Marriott East side is very nice hotel, but also smaller rooms.  However, its elegant, quiet, and nice.  Its in an older, classic building but has all the upgrades.

The Marquis is the Marquis.  Its a huge hotel.  The rooms are ample in size (ive stayed in both a regular room and a large suite on or near the top floor).   The staff is awesome. They get you in and out.  If you have a need its done.  Again, i was not a Platinum when i stayed in the regular and i booked the suite so i did not expect anything from them and that was the best attitude b/c they gave more.

If you're w/out kids and only 1 or 2 nights, def go to the 57.  Its chic and fun and the restaurant could be right out of France.   If you have kids or want something a big more traditional and refined, go for the East side.  Its not far from anything at all and its very nice.

If you have kids or even if you don't - do not rule out the Marquis.  For years I swore I'd stay away from it b/c of the size.  Nope.  Staff is excellent.  Rooms are not NYS small (this has the largest rooms of the three).  And service is excellent - even during a lobby reno last summer (2011).

I used to be an avid HH person and my hotel of choice was the Waldorf.  The rooms have the history but need freshening (and they were doing a freshening up).  But the staff is horrible.  I could swear their allegiance is to a union and not management - it just shows.  The only experience i had that was good was the front desk staff.  The rest was sub par to poor.   So, i moved to the 57 and was REALLY impressed so i tried the Marquis (after swearing NEVER) and was VERY impressed.

You really can't go wrong w/any. 

it depends on you really.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

We travel to NYC a couple of times each year and stay at the Marriott Eastside. It has a very good CL with free breakfast and it is staffed by someone who actually checks to make sure when you enter with your keycard that you belong there. No one stands outside this CL waiting for somone to open the door so they can get in! The CL also has an outside seating area (it is on the 16th floor) and it is really nice unless it is too cold.

The location has easy access to Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Fifth Avenue, Central Park, Broadway and the metro system (2 blocks away). A lot of very good restaurants are close by (Smith & Wollensky is at the next corner) and on Third Avenue are some great local spots. The wi-fi is free for Platinum members (gold too) and we usually get upgraded to a larger room. The last time we had a great corner room on the 30th floor. The staff is very professional and they just renovated the restaurant/bar area but we have not been there since completion.

Hope this helps. Happy travels! It's a great city.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I would avoid the Marquis, a hotel that was not on your list and opt for one of the Renaissance hotels instead.  The Times Square Ren is in the same location as the Marquis and the 57 a distance to the north.  If theaters are on your list then the Times Square location can't be beat.

jonespj2733 Platinum 8 Reviews

I would consider the Marquis, as It does cater to Paltinum members well.  It thats out of your price range, I would consider the Ren 57, as others have mentioned.  It is a great property.

I disagree that Platinum Members are treated well based on my experiences.  The Marquis is  a 200o room hotel and there are plaenty of Platinums and Platinum Premiers who stay there.  Breakfast on weekends is not in the cards ever and upgrades are impossible.  Just my opinion

jonespj2733 Platinum 8 Reviews

I have stayed in NYC at the Marquis, the Ren 57, and the East Side.  Last time I stayed at the East Side, I waited in the check-in line for more that 20 minutes because they had no Platinum check-in.  The 2 times I've stayed at the Ren, I enjoyed my stay and was upgraded.  I have stayed at the Marquis several times over the past 10 years, and have always had the staff treat me with respect and made my stay with my family or collegues very enjoyable. They have bent over backwards to solve a couple of issues, so I guess its individual experiences that support our opinions.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I have advocated for Hotel 57 many times on this site.  However, I understand that some folks find the rooms small.  actually, I think that is par for the course in nyc.  I will say this much, the "cozy" room selection at Hotel 57, although it is the most reasonable, is only slightly bigger than a closet. In my opinion, it is only valid if you are traveling as a single and only for and night.  otherwise, spring for a larger  room.  that said, I stand by by advocacy of this property.

Staff are great at the Marquis but their hands are tied when it comes to being willing to upgrade

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I'll be staying at the Renaissance 57 on March 29 and 30, so can report back!

ProfChiara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...