15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2013 10:20 AM by bprince RSS

Where was your last 2012 Marriott stay and were you upgraded to a Suite???

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Starting a new thread on this topic for 2012....This will help Insiders see which Marriott hotels are giving their best and loyal customers suite upgrades!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Where was your last 2012 Marriott stay and were you upgraded to a Suite???

I had three separate stays at the Brisbane, Australia Marriott.

Stay one (three night stay)..Upgraded to a concierge level river view room (Very nice)

Stay two..Upgraded on a one night stay to one of the four Brisbane Marriott Suites with river view...(Outstanding)

Stay three>> Upgraded on a one night stay to a concierge level river view room (Same room as stay one. This was on 14 February 2012.

The concierge lounge was very nice..and at night offered many alcoholic beverages free of charge till 9:30 every evening and opened 7 days a week.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Where was your last 2012 Marriott stay and were you upgraded to a Suite???
      alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Pittsburgh, Pa Renaissance in February, upgraded to a 2 room Jacuzzi suite with only standard room reservations by a very courteous GM who happened to be at the front desk at the time and noticed my Platinum credentials (and Marriott rewards Visa) at check-in. Wow, was I pleased!

Glad you got the treatment you deserved..I hope we see a lot more of this kind of treatment for Marriotts most loyal guests!!!

gpurvis Platinum 1 Reviews

Love the Pit Renaissance, last time I stayed there I was upgraded to a Concierge level room with view of the Stadium and river.  Very nice but I had to ask for the upgrade, a little awkward.  Outstanding service at this location and the property is first class....very historic. 

Thanks. I really like it there, and it is one of my preferred hotels. It is right across the river from the Pirate's and Steeler's stadiums, I only live about 12 miles from there, and still utilize the hotelt for sporting events! Better then drinking and driving, and parking with valet is cheaper then self-park, so it all works out. Have a nice day!

bloombergtv Member

wow. there are not many lounges offering free drinks though I dont mind. I prefer to have good snacks and soft drinks in the concierge lounge. It is nice to have alcoholic beverages free of charge, but I am happy to pay using the honor bar system at most lounges.

texaschef Platinum 1 Reviews

Became Platinum Elite For Life this year and haven't received a room upgrade or any acknowledgment of reaching my status. Was even told by the Platinum desk this afternoon that there isn't any real benefits associated with becoming a lifetime.

Hopefully you will soon! I even get acknowledged for being lifetime almost everytime when I call the Platinum Reservation number. You might start getting more recognition when people realize that where it says "nights needed to achieve next level = 0" when you are already Platinum, is where it is picked up a lot. Also, my rewards number begins with a lot of zeros, which might be another indicator, as I believe I joined the rewards program way back in November 1984 (first month). Good luck!

mortgagephil Platinum 4 Reviews

hmm. im PR and ive never been upgraded to a suite.   I always thought they upgrade you from standard to concierge, for example, in a reg Marriott or Ren etc and don't really offer to upgrade you in a Res Inn.   As I posted previously, the Tysons Corner VA Marriott is the best at service and they have upgraded me from regular to Concierge.  On the other end of the spectrum the Albany NY Marriott has never once taken me from a regular room to Concierge nor to suite.  I'm not one to ask at the front desk as I like to test customer service levels by just being me and checking in with my Plat Card and my Chase Marriott black visa and see what happens.

I usually ask in a very friendly manner and the front desk people are usually very responsive, if they have the room type available. Many times at a Residence Inn I have been upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite with fireplace, even by myself!  I also ask Marriott Plat Reservations to request an upgrade when booking, it is notated in advance on my reservation when the hotel gets it, and more often than not, my room is already "blocked" into an upgrade upon arrival, with room number already assigned. This is generally the case for me across the board. I did not realize other members were having such upgrade issues. I guess this forum opened my eyes to the whole issue, whereas I would have never known before. Very interesting.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

My last stay was Superbowl weekend.  I stayed @ the Courtyard in Somerset, NJ while visiing my son.  I was upgraded to a suite so was able to have my son & daughter-in-law over to watch the game & have room service through the attached restaurant.  It was fantastic.  However, I wish the Patriots had won!

okorganist Platinum 1 Reviews

Last week stayed at the Hollywood Florida Marriott upgraded to executivel level and they have a great executive lounge In May at the Marriott in Paris we were upgraded to a suite for the week and I used points

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

The last few trips down to the Orlando area found me in the bustling metropolis of Altamonte Springs.  The RI there was decent enough but I was upgraded to the "penthouse" suite each trip.  I also got a very nice suite upgrade at the Marriott Orlando Airport location.  I'm going to actually start a new thread for that one as the hotel IMHO did everything right

mortgagephil Platinum 4 Reviews

Never, Ever.   I'm only talking a full service Marriott and above and not including say a Residence Inn (which obviously can't ) or what not.   But, i have simply never been upgraded to a suite. 

That's fine b/c i have been upgraded to Concierge level by the Marriott Tyson's Corner on a regular basis - even if its a weekend and the lounge is not open.   Its a nice touch.  But, never to a suite.

I have, however, seen Gold member check in ahead of me or beside me and get upgraded to suites and i have not as a Plat.  I've also seen Gold get free breakfast vouchers and Ive not been offered any.

So, it comes down to the property itself and not the Marriott Rewards program in my opinion.   And, while i've stayed at too many marriotts up and down the East Coast to count - -- i can tell you that places like the Marriott Suites in Baltimore provide consistent and good service, places like the Marriott Tysons' Corner go above and beyond and beyond and beyond (You have to book them while in the VA/DC area - they are simply the best), and places like the Albany NY Marriott just always fails - never upgrades, never gives breakfast voucher. 

About 5 months ago I decided to test the Marriott Albany to see how they'd treat me as a Plat (since i knew they were bad).   So, literally, as i was in the lobby just before checking in, i cancelled my reservation on my iphone marriott app.   then I walked up to the desk to check in on my reservation.  I was told I had to go somewhere else b/c they had no rooms available.   lol.   So, i said okay - but im Plat so could they just take a peak in their computer system.  And she put her arms up in the air, stepped back 2 steps and said the "marriott reservations systems cancelled you and there is nothing i can do".    Knowing i caused this (and was testing their customer service) i said well there must be an error (i didn't get angry i was very very calm and nice) and asked her to see if her supervisor could help.  So, he did a click click over ride and i was on my way to my room with her saying "b/c you're platinum we were able to do that and i hope you have a great night" - -  and i was thinking "no, b/c i told you how to handle this it worked out"

thankfully, i had already called Homewood Suites (hilton) to see if they had avail and they did just in case this didn't work out and that would have been fine b/c i did this to see what would happen

and, no, i was not upgraded at the Marriott Albany that time either and I have never been (However, in their defense, they were busy at check in time)  I also did not get a breakfast voucher.   I'm just used to this now from them.

bprince Platinum

Stayed at the Renaissance Koh Samui (Thailand) in January and we were upgraded to a garden villa (while paying with Marriott points)

Stayed at the JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur in January and February and we were upgrades to a suite

Stayed at the Marriott Atlanta Airport in July and we were not upgraded.

Stayed in Fairfield Inn Brandon (May and October) and upgraded to a suite

Rest of our stays are in Courtyard Marriott hotels and we already booked a suite.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...