3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2012 6:39 PM by pluto77 RSS

What do you want people to remember about you?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I thought I'd throw out another provocative, slightly macabre question till I go in pilgrimage (silent) mode again...  Since I've already written my one paragraph obituary for my executor to use, I know what it will say.  What do you want to be remembered for? Travel is most assuredly a part of this question, but it has so many possible answers.

I should add, as you may gather from my second sentence, that two lengthy column obituaries, especially when the people now live somewhere else, annoy me.  So what would you boil yours down to, assuming you don't get boiled to death (I think as a medievalist)?

Hopefully we all have long, happy and more or less healthy lives ahead of us!
ProfC

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What do you want people to remember about you?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

What would I like to be remembered for?

1. That I was a good Husband and family man

2. That I took care of my children and set them up for their future

3. That I was a person of high integrity and honesty

4. That I served my country (during Vietnam War) when called upon

5. That I won all 4 single tennis majors - Australian Open, French Open, Wimbleton and US Open

ok 4 out of 5 not too bad!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Jasper,

I thank you truly with all my heart for your service to family and country! I don't have family (except my cat) but here are my wishes. And they're real despite the humorous tone.

My executor, my best friend in Wisconsin, knows to write the following when I 'go West' as my grandmothers said.  (I really worried that as a fellow historian he would try to embellish, but he's under very strict orders from me not to do so).

She was born (fill in dates) and died at the age of (fill in age) and was a history professor and writer. The most important thing in her life were cats (photos of my cats, not me, much more lovely in any case) and animal causes.  Please donate in her memory to (the various animal causes I listed).  According to her wishes there will be no viewing, wake, or funeral.

The more fun part is that my best friend/executor and his wife are also cat and wine lovers so they are by will ordered to mix my ashes with Kitikat's and retain them together.  Hopefully Leelee will long outlive me and I have planned for that, so that as long as Rob and Pat don't predecease her, all of us will be together "somewhere out there, [and] someone will see us through" beneath the pale moonlight  -- a best bet depending on local laws.  Sorry, Rob and Pat will not be in the same container.  They can pick their own or make other arrangements.

The music for the funeral celebration is obvious...but if anyone knows James Ingram or Linda Ronstadt, please invite them. Most of all, my arrangements won't cost much of anything so that all of my earnings/savings will go to animal charities.  I figure an empty magnum bottle of champagne should contain the necessary ashes. And if ALL of us are gone and in the magnum bottle, Rob and Pat will rent a rowboat and go out on Lake Michigan and have a big party and uncork the bottle in a beautiful natural setting between Milwaukee or Grand Rapids.  However, if they can afford a trip to Maine...MRIs are invited for a grand celebration, because I will have lived my life My Way. And the Midcoast is a great place for lobsters and scatterings/

ProfC

(You probably all think I'm nuts by now, but so be it.  I don't make light of death at all, just consider it a part of life.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Good and loving mother.

Kind.

Generous.

Compassionate.

Filled a room with laughter!

I would also like to be remembered for being a good wife, and for loving the Lord my God with all my heart and in all things, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...