15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2012 1:22 PM by anadyr RSS

Hemingway House and Cats, Key West FL

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

DSCN9796.JPGWhile in Key West a few weeks ago I took some photos of the Ernest Hemingway home and the famous "special" cats who live there.  The place is a garden like one, and the docents are in the Papa spirit--a tad loose with the history and funny at the same time.  The cats, the ones with all those extra toes, are everywhere and seem not to mind the steady stream of visitors, even are willing to have their photo taken by me and countless others.DSCN9798.JPGDSCN9806.JPG  The gene for Polydactyl cats is recessive so parents could both have it and have kittens without that extra toe thing.

Of course it is more than a sanctuary for cat lovers here, it is the home of a great American writer, a man with a troubled life and a sad end.  If you have time this is a good place to spend a couple hours strolling the grounds, petting the cats or just remembering the Old Man and the Sea.  You will enjoy the time.DSCN9807.JPGDSCN9804.JPGDSCN9812.JPGDSCN9788.JPGDSCN9800.JPG

Message was edited by: steppingstones

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Key West, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West
  • Re: Hemingway House and Cats, Key West FL
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Very nice photo's!

Have never been to the house, but walked by it many times.  You comments on EH are so true.  I heard there was a fire at The Ritz in Paris, and Hemingway's Bar may be damaged.  It is a wonderful place to enjoy an "Expensive" drink.  Here are a few photo's that may be pertinent. Just across the street, the lighthouse and the curator, a great place to visit.

IMG_0055.JPG08-25-2011 07;47;00PM.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nltravel Member 8 Reviews

so cool ! I have to go there now

travelvlaan Member

is the Marriott worth the 35,000 point needed to redeem a free night cat 7? its not even a JW ? for the Marriott located on the Gulf of Mexico at the entrance to the historic and picturesque island of Key West the only truly Caribbean tropical destination within the US accessible by automobile. 

3841 North Roosevelt Boulevard

Good question--it is high season and there are very expensive rooms in Key West.

travelvlaan,

I have not stayed at the Marriott, but greatly enjoyed the CY and FF.  I think it would be worth it, if I had a nice room and could take their shuttle to town.  Remember, this time of year it is really expensive, and I love the Megabonus promotions.  They really ease the pain of a steep price.

SS,

You beat me answering this question by one minute, and we pretty much had the same answer.  I would gladly spend 35,000 points for a very special place, with very special people.  Naturally, if it just me and some buddies, that is different, but having a memorable room, most anywhere, is worth it!

B and Bs in town are less expensive and more central to things/

SS,

You are right, but I am not a B&B guy.  I really do not want to visit with anyone at the end/start of a day.  No, I am not something special, I just can't do it.

But again, there are many places much closer, but I am only out till 10 PM at best, so give me that Marriott!

True

goestoeleven Gold

I rarely stay at a Fairfield but had the family in tow for our Spring Break 2011 in the Florida Keys.  The Fairfield Suites in Key West provided comfortable provisions and excellent service.  re: Hemingway -  I liked the penny he had embedded in the pool decking ... as in "My wife is spending every last penny of mine fixing this place up"

Me too, that was a great story!  The service at the FFI was exceptional that is for sure, the pool one of the nicest in town, the breakfast well laid out, but the rooms are very, very small,

goestoeleven Gold

True.  We are a family of five and just treated the room as if we were camping.  Fortunately, in Key West, there is very little reason to actually spend time inside your room except for bed and bath.

Amen to that.  Just wish the room was a tad larger and the shutters a little more light blocking.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...