13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2013 2:06 AM by kharada46 RSS

What are your best tips to get upgrades?

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

First thing I do is when booking on the phone with Marriott Platinum Reservations is to request an upgrade. The hotel will see your request, although it does not appear on your reservations that you have done so. The hotel will see it, and in my estimate, more than 50% of the time my room is already "preblocked" for me upon arrival, with an upgraded room number already assigned to me. This has been uniform for me at Marriott hotels/properties for years. I was wondering what other members do to increase their chances of getting an upgrade? I did not realize it was a problem for so many members, and thought perhaps individuals could share their "helpful hints" here. Everybody have a good day/evening!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What are your best tips to get upgrades?
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Remember, there's no harm in asking.   As readers of this forum consistently remind us, desk personnel training and experience are inconsistent across chains and individual properties, so assume nothing when you walk up to the desk....

When I check in, I always ask for an upgrade (and/or a higher floor and/or a better view).  Of course, there are many different responses:

• if they're full, they're full - still, no harm done;
    • sometimes you get a polite (or a less than polite) "no" - that's OK (but be prepared);
    • often, if the desk personnel won't/can't give you the suite, this will get you a (pick your preference) higher floor, better view, larger room, etc.; and
    • sometimes, you get lucky, and you get the suite...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

goestoeleven Gold

I suppose it's a "don't ask - don't get" kind of world.  I've been Platinum for about one year now, with no upgrades, which has been about 75 stays. 

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Got luck!  I e-mailed the GM of the Renaissance La Defense and politely asked for an upgrade because the trip is my honeymoon and voila!  Jr. Suite!  Contacting the property in advanced can help a lot, especially if it truly is a special occasion.  Never hurts to ask!  But I do plan on following up by bringing some gifts to them from Hawaii

That is great Kyle!

GM can often be the ticket. I think that is great. Already know in advance aslo. What a nice addition to your honeymoon!

I am very happy for both of you!  -Al

Others have said try contacting the GM of the hotel before checking-in to secure a confirmed upgrade or at least get them to think of you. 

I've already accomplished this with the Marriott Grand Hotel Flora for my stay coming up in November.  Secured a larger (executive) room, rather than the standard.  Not a suite, but good!  Hoping I might be able to be upgraded to a suite when we check in! 

Likewise, the Renaissance La Defense has said that they will put us in a better room based upon availability.  So maybe suite upon check in??  We'll see!  I'll keep you posted! 

SoooooFunny!

I used to have like a book with hotel GM's names written down. Got to know quite a few personally, but as soon as you approach the desk and start throwing out names, well things happen!

Really??  That's a great idea!!  Care to share your experiences??

I plan to cultivate some relationships of my own!  Regardless of my ability to get an upgrade, I'll probably bring small gifts with me to give to GMs & staff

That is cool. I do not know that I have really done the gift thing. I know it would work great in more obscure places and countries where they still have trouble getting things we take for granted. What I would do is get a hold of the GM in advance. You can usually find out who it is through internet or direct calls. Let them know it is your honeymoon, be gracious and flatter them, let them feel powerful and that they have ultimate power and control. It will play on them so that when you ask for a favor, they will know that "you know" that it is their final call in the end. By playing on their ego, especially in Western Europe where you are going, they will feel almost happy to give you an upgrade as a demonstration of their "power". Basic psychology 101 here. I would not just call and ask them outright, but ask for them, talk to them a little, ask them things like what makes their property so special and unique, but in a roundabout way, and then begin to ask them about room types. "Wow, it would be so nice to have a room like that", "what would it require to stay in a room like that on our special day", "I wish we could afford something like that, but with the wedding bills and all", etc. Wait until they either offer the upgrade or perhaps ask that you would like to meet them at arrival as they have been so helpful and knowledgable. Make them feel they are needed and omnipotent. It is all in the timing. Your fate is in their hands.

People are generally good by nature (at least that is how I feel). Play it long enough that you will make them feel terrible if they did not upgrade you.

Cheap beads and shallow flattery can do wonders!!

i hope you get the basis of what I am getting at. Will not work with all people, but I would venture to sy most....

and good luck!!

remind me to expand on this closer to your departure. I do not want to forget so you will have to remind me, and I will pull some other ideas from my bag of tricks, so to say..

Thanks Al!  That is excellent advice!  I've done the more direct thing thus far, so I will have to try this next time! 

So, how's upgrade potential like at the LAX Renaissance?  I'll be there for only 1 night, so I doubt it's worth asking for an upgrade, but will let fate decide at checkin.  Thanks! 

Upgrade at the LAX Ren is no problem. I think about 30% of their rooms are suites, so pay the lowest cost and with any status you will get the best available, I'm sure.

Thanks Al!

Eddieinwashington Platinum 5 Reviews

I just book on marriott.com and have my preferences set.  I have not been disappointed on check in at FS Marriotts.  Of course I am more about the CL access and the free internet.  I guess if I was going to be on vacation at a FS then I would note it in the virtual concierge.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...