4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2012 1:22 AM by rosiesd RSS

New to site- honeymoon help Grand Cayman

mdrobe2 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

This is my first post to this site, so i am sorry if it is in the wrong place. I am honeymooning in the Cayman Islands and am using reward points to get a suite for a low price- room is booked. I have a suite and a regular ocean front room reserved and will only be taking one of them. Rewards is telling me I will have to pay full rate for one night in the suite as it is not available using rewards for all 7 of my nights. I have no problem with that- it is about $500 dollars more for my stay if I take the suite over the regular ocean front room. I am mainly just wondering what tips you all have for me on my stay, including how to get the best rates on activities and dining. I am told I can purchase a gift card from Sky Mall using points that will help with expenses while at the resort. Any help would be appreciated!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Grand Cayman
  • Re: New to site- honeymoon help Grand Cayman
    kerberos41 Platinum

I'm in the same boat - I'm going there with my wife to celebrate our 25th anniversary.  Don't know if you've left yet - but if you haven't check out how much it would cost you to buy the incremental amount of points that you need - it might be less than $500.   In my case, I'll be about 12.000 points short - at $12.50/1000 points its only $150 which is far less than the price of the room for one night.  Good luck and congrats.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

mdrobe2 and kerberos41,

Greetings and welcome to Insiders Community.  I have never stayed at the Grand Caymans, so I am unfortunately of no help with sights and activities.  Sometimes the hotel websites have information and links to sights where activities can be booked.  Also, do you regularly check your Marriott Reward elite offers?  Sometimes I forget, and then when I check it out, I find all kinds of deals.  In fact, recently I had made a reservation, and then later when I was perusing my MR elite offers page (there were 13 pages of offers) I found that the property I had booked my stay at had a 35% off offer for elites during the period of my stay.  So I canceled and rebooked using the offer code.  Had I not kept current on my Marroitt Rewards elite offers, I would have totally missed it.  Sometimes there are discounts on Sun-Thurs nights, so then you might want to make sure that your room on points reservation spans the weekend so you could pay cash for the least expensive night, if you follow me.  You have to sometimes play around with reservations to get the best deal.

A call to the hotel concierge may be helpful as well.

Anyway, I hope someone can chime in on the Grand Caymans for you as well as the rest of us, as it sounds like a wonderful place to vacation.  Best of luck and happy travels.

And a warm congratulations to both of you!

mdrobe2 Gold 25 Reviews

Just to update everyone, (and thanks for the replies)... I booked the suite using points, which reduced the cost of the suite but did not make it free, then used points I had left to buy a Marriott gift card from SkyMall, so I basically got the suite for free for the week. Any tips on point redemption or Grand Cayman are still welcome, and thanks again to those of you that replied to my question.

rosiesd Silver 25 Reviews

First, best wishes for a long, happy marriage!  Second, please post about your experiences after you return.  My husband and I are thinking about using our points for this hotel, and we would like to hear a first-hand review of the suites.  Enjoy this special trip!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...