19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2012 4:05 PM by anadyr RSS

Going "under cover" in N.W. Washington DC

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

OK cloak and dagger fans, here is your chance to live the Bond lifestyle at the International Spy Museum located near China Town in Northwest Washington DC, and a middle length walk from the JW on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Having been involved in the creation of the place and considered (ever so briefly) as curator for it, I feel a warm spot for the museum.  If you can prove that you're in the trade (and that's very hard to do) there is a one dollar discount for admission.  If you have an ID card that says spy on it you most likely made it yourself!

But is is a fun place to visit, to assume new identities, gaze on gadgets that even Bond and Company never tried, and have a nice few hours.  The gift shop has expensive items that you might never wear at home or abroad unless you enjoy being spotted and tailed.

Jaleo, a Tapas place around the corner, is an excellent pre- or post-Museum dining spot.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, D.C., USA
  • Re: Going "under cover" in N.W. Washington DC
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

And I thought you were undercover in Florida!! Shows you what I know!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm hoping to visit this museum this summer.   thanks.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Yes, but the Safe House in Milwaukee actually requires a pass phrase (or knowledge of the secret door) to enter, a secret exit, and has beer. 

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Been there!...and it was neat! I really enjoyed all those gadgets and mind games they played.......I wouldn't have made a good spy/undercover guy.

Speaking of Bond and Company.....best Bond actor...for me, Sean Connery! Best/favorite Bond movie...for me, From Russia with Love.

In relation to another post, I don't think I ever saw the front desk clerk hand Bond a package and tell him they were charging for it! Probably would have pulled out that PPK and given that clerk a 'charge'.

My first date in college was to see From Russia with Love, and a great time was had by me watching Sean do his marvelous things.  Here's a Bond trivia question:  in which Bond movie did the person playing 007 wear a Rolex Chronograph model 6238?  Extra credit--how was it different than the standard watch?

Probably the worst Bond actor of all time...George Lazenby. He's the only one who would think he could get away with that on a 007 paycheck. What was that movie..On her majesty's secret service? I don't know how it's different. I wear a Rolex but I'm not into them that I can pick the differences.

Correct TEF.  The red second hand was the difference from mine.   It was sold by the propmaster at auction in 2009 for 45K

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Is your Rolex for sale and how much???

I wish Jasper, last time it was cleaned by then they offered to buy it contingent on  proof of provenance. box etc which I need to find.  First offer was 60K, but that was pre-recession

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I thought spooks NEVER talked of their past.....  kinda part of the rules....

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

My boys love the place!  We can't recommend it enough....  It's definitely earned a spot on the "must-do" list in DC....

p.s. for parents who - for whatever reason - want to dump the kids and go elsewhere, I strongly recommend the (nearby - indeed, nearly adjacent) National Portrait Gallery and the contiguous Smithsonian American Art Museum.  (OK, it's a little confusing - most people/visitors don't even realize it's two separate museums....)  Among other things, don't miss:

• America's Presidents - it's truly wonderful.  You know many of the classics, but the unexpected surprises include the exquisite Norman Rockwell of Nixon, etc.
    • the Gilbert Stuart portrait of George Washington - it's epic;
    • Bierstadt's Among the Sierra Nevada - one of my all-time favorites - truly majestic - Among the Sierra Nevada, California by Albert Bierstadt / American Art
    • the Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain portrait;
    • the Champions gallery - iconic (familiar) pieces on great athletes of various eras; and
    • the Native American collection (particularly the George Catlin works) - familiar, but sublime.
    • Fun tidbit for the kids - look for the curator's plaques for pieces highlighted in the movie Night At the Museum: Battle At the Smithsonian....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...