7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2013 9:20 AM by captbigguy RSS

Points/elite nights earned if hotel booked thru a package?

lmrice Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I'd like to book a package including a stay at a Marriott property (actually a Ritz Carlton) but I want to make sure my gold status benefits will be available (room upgrade, free wifi, etc).  Also, does anyone know if I will earn points and if the nights stayed will go towards my elite status, even though I actually make payment through the airline's travel agency?rline

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Points/elite nights earned if hotel booked thru a package?
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

This has been an issue in the past. It has happened when a room has been booked on a package that the travel company booking the package has not been recognized by Marriott for elite nights and points because they are 'bulk' rates. Even some of the packages booked directly through the Marriott home page have been handled by a third party travel company and someone posted here furious about no elite night or point credit when they booked the package through the marriott website package program. We never knew how that was resolved (if at all), but here's what I would suggest.

Talk directly with the booking provider (the company who manages the package) and that info should be in your fine print. Ask them if you can put your Marriott Rewards number in the hotel reservation for credit towards the elite nights. If they say yes, ASK them for your Marriott reservation number for your room (the only way Marriott recognzes you is by that reservation code. That is where your rewards number shows up. If you get that reservation number, call Marriott and ask them if your rewards number is in the reservation or ask them to add your rewards number in that specific reservation.

Other Insiders may be able to help more and maybe the CM can blog in.

Good luck and happy travels!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Imrice,

I think tef has laid out a great way to tackle it, and that's what I'd do too.  If NathalieF has any tips, he might add his take on this also.  Have a good trip!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

In reference to packages booked through: http://www.gomarriottvacations.com/

As a Marriott Rewards member, you will receive 5,000 Marriott Rewards points each time you book a vacation package offered by Vacations by Marriott and complete your stay. Marriott Rewards points will be added to your account approximately four to six weeks after you have completed your package travel.

In order to receive your points, you must provide your Marriott Rewards number during the vacation package purchase process.

To receive credit for any additional hotel purchases that you may make at a full service property, you must present your Marriott Rewards number to the front desk at check-in. Any earnings will post to your account under your stay activity. However, stays that are booked through Vacations by Marriott will not earn Elite night credit.

If your bonus points do not post to your account within the timeframe provided above, please contact Vacations by Marriott Customer Service at 1-800-210-8368 or via the following e-mail address: customerservice@gomarriottvacations.com

dctraveller Platinum 17 Reviews

Can you please clarify this response because I received conflicting responses today on the phone? 

I called Marriott Rewards (speaking with a Customer Care rep) about a stay I had more than 6 weeks ago which I booked through Vacation by Marriott.  The 5000 bonus points was not posted even though it has been more than 6 weeks.  They said they did not handle it and suggested I call Vacations by Marriott directly.  So I did.  I inquired about the points and Vacations by Marriott told me that they can not do anything about posting points.  They only put the Rewards number into the system and if the points do not show, I am supposed to contact Marriott Rewards directly.  Do you have any suggestion on who I should contact about this?

I feel slightly upset that I am being asked to go back and forth between MR and Vacations by Marriott.  I am regretting booking through Vacations by Marriott since I did not get the elite night or points, and the savings was really not that much.  Naturally the fault is partially mine since I did not notice and read the fine print. 

johnl Marriott Associate Gold

Hi dctraveller,

I apologize for the run-around.  Marriott Rewards Customer Service should be the one handling the issue.  They should be requesting information about the package you booked.  They will then send that off to a liaison to research it.  Ask for a supervisor if they try send you back to Vacations by Marriott.

Thanks,

John

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

I hve had a similar issue when booking through Expedia.com.  I had my MR number in the system, but was told since it was booked through them, my points would not be rewarded.  I had a weekly stay at a SHS near SEA-TAC and since I used Expedia for many of them, I have been delayed in getting my status upgrades.

So from now on, I'm booking directly with Marriott or using my company's TA.  They take good care of me.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Great Information on Travel Packages!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...