13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2012 10:02 AM by nuhusker RSS

Alabama Golf Resorts and PE Status.

fitzit Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I'd like to say I'm not going to B***h, but it's going to sound that way.

I just checked out of Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National  to check into the Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa. Two hours apart, both on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, both great looking, excelent staff, well appointed rooms, resort environments.

I could have stayed at Opelika tonight, where for 100$ a night I was getting breakfast for the 5 of us for free, as they gave PE's that and didn't charge for the babys. I didn't get an upgrade to my room, the hotel is/was full.

I checked out a day early for Birmingham, because MR bribed me, 10,000 MR points for guests checking in on Sundays in the month of March. So one night here is going to earn me 2000 (room rate)+ 1000(50% bonus) + 500 (check in gift)+ 10,000 (promotional Bonus) = 13,500 , not bad.

So I'm checking in at near midnight, be happy for the points, get a good nights sleep and head to Memphis in the Am, right?

Well, here's the b****h part. The place has 5 levels of rooms from Standard King up to Corner Suites (1 Bedroom Larger Suite, 1 King, Sofabed, Bathrooms: 1.5, Partial Golf view, Corner room, Balcony). There are not 30 cars in the lot, the place is empty, I know, my room is overlooking said parking lot. You mean to tell me they couldn't at least "upgrade" me to a pool view room, let alone the "small suite" or tower suite? This is a huge "COME ON MAN" moment.

And its a resort so, there won't be any exec lounge or free breakfast, that we aren't entitled to but that some properties still honor.

Place is great, awesome, I'm not complaining, but my expectation of what PE status should provide, it is deaply wounded tonight.

Message was edited by: fitzit ******edit****** On further review this AM, if I go out on my balcony (which is huge) I can walk around the outside of my room and see the pool. So they may imagine that this is a corner and a pool view. Sitting at this desk and looking out the window/door, All I see is patio and shuttle buses in the parking lot. *******edit******* For you gents looking for golf, Birmingham is easier to access and a more seasoned. Auburn's Grand National was great but they are in the middle of a lot of construction for both the resort and new homes.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Alabama Golf Resorts
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I hear ya, but would really like to know about the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail.  I have heard about it, but never experienced it.  Do you recommend it??

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Shoeman, I have onlhy played two of the courses, and I'd do it again.  There are better courses out there, but I think it's more of the novelty of playing RTG than anything.  Kind of like me trying to play every military course.  Not that special, but I can say I did it.

got it!  I really need to start taking time for ME....

shoeman, you have two of the best, well most fun courses I've played right there in greater Dallas...Tour 18 in Flower Mound I think, and another one in the Colony, I can't even remember the name right now.  But I'd play them both again, and might just do that this summer sometime when we get to Dallas to visit son and DIL.

ADDED:  It's called the Tribute...a little on the high side for me normally, but it was worth the $$$ and the challenge.

Husker

I love those two courses, but they are pricey.  Tour 18 emulates many of the best American holes in golf, The Tribute does the same for British holes.

Those are the ones.  That's about as close as I'll ever get to playing some of the more famous PGA tournament courses.  Twilight rate after 2pm or so isn't quite so bad.  But, for me even as much as I play and enjoying playing, my fun meter pegs out after $100.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

as well you should

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I tried to play a lot of the military courses as well.  I think Eglin AFB was a fun course for me.  A lot of long shots over and down and up valleys.  You seldom had a flat lie, which made your shots really challenging, but the scenery was beautiful.  I remember working really hard, since we decided to walk the course, and could be tired after climbing through a couple of those "valleys".

Agree about the terrain on the courses at Eglin.  Much more fun with a cart.

-20120305-00015.jpgMy collection from bases I've played.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Neat collection!  I have lost a 1,000 times the number of balls you have collected .  I remember that down south I played just a few courses, and actually took some tutoring at Tyndall AFB in Panama City, FL.  What I remembered the most, was playing really wet and sticky most of the time.  It's hard to swing smoothly when my arms stick to my sides.  Then I went and played at Hill AFB in Utah, and thought I was a super golfer, until they told me the air was much thinner up there, and that is why I could hit the ball further there.  What a disappointment   I haven't played for quite a few years, but have been thinking about hitting the driving range in the next couple of months.  It seems like I should play one of the nice courses down at Puerto Vallarta when we go down there next time.  Any recommendations on which course I should pick?  Apparently there are several really nice courses there.

tryt -- I've played both of those bases also.  Hill, especially, is scenic with the mountains around you.  And of course who can forget the smell of JP-4 and the sound of afterburners throughout the course.  Back to Eglin, a co-worker reminded me that he lost 14 golf balls in 18 holes there.  If you don't hit the ball straight, that is not the place to go.  Very unforgiving and at times dangerous rough and weeds not too far off the fairways.

• Re: Alabama Golf Resorts and PE Status.
    eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Since this coming Sunday is the last day for that promo that we can use, I was thinking of driving there from MB, SC to take advantage.  It's more points than we can get in a month at RI and we don't even get a ck. in bonus when they clear us out to charge the $1000 for the room about every other week.  I guess we get them every 6 mos. or so when they have to "make the new reservation" for the coming time period.  I just haven't decided whether or not I want to drive that much since I'll be driving to Charleston, SC from Montgomery, AL the following weekend for Larry's vacation.  But it's a really good deal since it's 4 times what we got at a full service for 2 nights.

One thing I don't understand is why they give the ending date as the day before you can actually take advantage of it.  Mar 24 is a Sat. and you have to ck. in on Sun.   

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...