4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2012 1:13 PM by tryt53 RSS

Longboat Key, FLA, USA

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

DSCN9915.JPGWe had lunch (Grouper) at Moore's on Longboat yesterday after what seemed an interminable traffic tie up to get on the island!  This shows the welcoming committee on the dock at the restaurant.

Moore's is known for Stone Crabs--the recycling crab--they take one claw and it regenerates! At the end of season (mid month of March) they have all you can eat for the price of the normal dinner.

Not elegant but good food and worth a stop after all that traffic jam to get there.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Longboat Key, Florida, USA
  • Re: Longboat Key, FLA, USA
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

SS,

I've had stone crab claws a lot when I was down there and find them pretty good, but I found a lot of crabs better tasting to me (just personal preference).  The novelty of taking the one claw and then the crab growing it back was always pretty neat though!  Blue crab and soft shell crab (Blue crabs that have just shed their hard skin and get deep fried immediately before their new shell hardens) are excellent for taste.  Blue crabs take a lot of work for the small amount of crab you get, but the meat is really sweet, I think.  I really like Grouper too, if it's cooked right.  Wish I was there enjoying all the good ocean and seafood, especially as winter drags on up here in Olympia

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Tryt,

You guys are making me hungry!

Am headed out to dinner, but you remind me of a trip while staying in Portland.  Drove to Lincoln City and down the coast to Coos Bay.  I need to dig those pictures up, but I had my young son with me and we had a ball eating seafood and seeing the lighthouses.

We have had a mild Winter in the Mid-West, and that's fine with me. 

Again, thank-you for the memories.  I will try to get something posted on that trip.  It's one for all travelers.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Jerry, That area is one of our favorite getaway locations.  A few years back we ate at the Whale's Tail" at Newport and they made a great meal.  Can hardly wait to get back to that area again.  Thanks for reminding me!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Lived near MD eastern shore for 20 years so had plenty of Blue Crabs

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...