28 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2012 8:10 AM by anadyr RSS

Jefferson Barracks, The Final "Resting Place" for many Veterans!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A 15 minute drive from the FF, Fenton, Mo (St. Louis), is a most "Humbling experience".  A visit to Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery.  Today, I took that drive from the FF, and would recommend the experience to all.  I do not know how many "Hero's", are buried here, these are the people who paid the ultimate price so I can travel each week and enjoy freedom. I know we have many people on this site that are Veterans, and I so greatly enjoy the contributions of two for sure, SS and NUHusker

The JBNC, is along the beautiful and historic banks of the Mississippi, and I will show you with pictures how interesting this "Sobering" site is.  I should also mention there is a wonderful County Park next to the JBNC, that is great for walking, jogging, or just enjoying nature.  Here are some photo's that "Say it all"!  If you are traveling from Chicago, or anywhere North of St. Louis, to New Orleans, or anywhere South, as soon as you cross the Mississippi, you will want to get off at Exit 2, go North, and take a right turn into JBNC, here is what you will see:

IMG_1988.JPGIMG_1989.JPGIMG_1990.JPGIMG_1991.jpgIMG_1992.jpgIMG_1995.JPGIMG_1997.JPGIMG_2000.JPGIMG_1998.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Fenton, Missouri, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn St. Louis Fenton
  • Re: Jefferson Barracks, The Final "Resting Place" for many Veterans!
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Thanks for sharing these pictures!! The Civil War was a sobering time in our nations history!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

jerrycoin, this is a moving post for me.  We have traced back 3 of my ancestors from SC and GA who were Confederates.  I will definitely visit Jefferson Barracks.

NU,

Was thinking SS and you when I went out there today.  Thanks for your service, I was Army Reservist for six years and faced nothing like all of you.

When you make it, we'll meet again, and enjoy seeing some sights together.  It was "Overwhelming" to appreciate this experience.  Likewise, I will do a post on Arlington National Cemetery sometime soon.  I like to go to DC over Labor Day, and take it all in!

In closing, this is still a very active place, there is The Missouri National Guard Compound there and this is a very busy place.  I think the buildings go back to at least the Civil War.  One thing I have never seen even at Arlington is huge headstones, listing all the members of a plane lost in WWII in New Guinea.

Here are a few more photo's for you.  Picture one is self evident, two is the NG operation, note radar tower in the middle of photo and the historic "Barracks", and photo three is looking from the grounds to the JB Bridge, spanning the Mississippi!

IMG_1993.JPGIMG_1999.JPGIMG_1996.JPG

jerrycoin, I will also be in DC in June, forget the exact dates, but am planning on taking a couple of extra days (as I always do) to go to Arlington, the Wall, and a brief visit to Bethesda Naval Hosp.  Yes, there are some of the large headstones at Arlington where entire aircrews are buried.  I don't think they use those anymore, though, since all the ones I have seen were from WWII.  I'm very thankful that our National Cemetaries are so welll maintained.

NU,

One of the places in Arlington I have always wanted to go, is the grave of Audie Murphy.  Having been many times I will go next time.  Likewise, you are so right, they are well maintained and memorable.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

NU I will be in DC in June as well--not yet sure when, let's see if we can get together

PM coming tomorrow when I get back to office and check schedule.

10-4

SS&NU,

Don't want to create a crowd, but I would love a good excuse to go back to Arlington N. C. as well as see Ford's Theater.  Would enjoy just having a glass of 2bc if we could together.

Just to see the view from the CL at The JW is worth the trip!

How about a tour of CIA?

SS,

Been buy there many times, on my way to Ralph Evans Farm, it's a great looking place.  That sounds like a "Tall order" to pull off.  HQ, would make a lot of sense, just to share with MI what it's like out here.

Would love the opportunity to just meet other MI's.

It would be great to see the "Old" original property, or what is there. By the way went thru my old post card collection, nothing Marriott related, but will keep looking, as I get more and more postcards.

Like the Eagles Hotel California you can check in but you can never leave--did I mention that?

PS Jerry I can get you into the National Cryptography Museum at NSA, Fort Meade, MD which I would highly recommend for all history buffs especially of WWII. The whole Enigma/Ultra story is there as well as that of the Venona program, amazing tales of incredible intelligence work and tide changing efforts in times of war and peace.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Jerry,

Thanks for sharing this post also.  I think all of us who have served, feel a tight bond with our close military veteran family.   I am deeply moved by memory of those who have given their lives for our country!

tryt,

This is a long way from your home, but not really.  It is really amazing how much we love freedom.  Can you imagine this site in many other countries, it would not happen. 

I hope you enjoy a great Pinot from Oregon soon, and have a salute to our ability to travel and enjoy our lives.

Thank you Jerry, and I salute you, and your service, too!

Tryt,

My service ended on a real high note.  Being a Chaplains assistant at Ft. Ord, Ca., not far from where SS lives.  Would work till 9 am, and have the rest of the day off during my two week Summer Camp there.  Loved to go to Carmel or Monterey for lunch and dinner.  Wow, that was in 1977. 

Thanks for the fond memories you have brought back, but even more thanks for the brave people who lived in "Harm's Way".  I only had two weeks a year plus playing "Week-end Warrior"

By the way, at Jefferson Barracks, the other day, the Missouri National Guard had a sign up, offering up to $20,000 sign-up bonus.  I just about stopped and signed up!

Fort Ord is closed but I recently went to memorial service at the Chapel there--still resonates with the souls of many who prayed there in years of service to our country.

SS,

That's the chapel where I worked.  It was small, but had a great view.  Think I played golf everyday on the Post course.  It was a great two week!  Thanks for bringing back the memories.

It's a small world, it seems like sometimes.  Nice to have our paths cross from time to time

Jerry do you remember the large hospital called Silas B Hayes, on Gigling Road there?  While I was at the Naval Postgraduate School heading one of the Tenant Commands, we were going to move there after the base closed.Chapel.JPG

SS,

This was the chapel I worked in!  It was a wonderful job.  Training in Ft. Polk, to be 11BB (Infantry), I thanked the man upstairs for not sending me to VN.  This duty allowed me to go to The Sardine Factory, Hog's Breath, Pebble Beach and other places that were so beautiful.

SS,  I don't remember the hospital at all.  This was such a great place to spend time at Summer Camp.  Sure beat, Camp McCoy, WI. Ft. Dix, NJ, Ft. Jackson, SC, another one in Arkansas.  But it was six good years of doing my duty.

Thanks again, for the memories.

Hayes was finished in the early 70s as a station for returning Vietnam injured soliders but the war ended before the hospital was done.

SS,

Thanks for the information.  I may have seen it but really do not remember it.  I was there in 1975 or 6.

Guess it was opened then but I am not sure.  One story only the Army could develop was that a million dollar piece of equipment arrived after the place was officially closed--the order had been delayed.  But the Army managed to transfer it and not let it rot on the loading dock!

Thanks Jerry for remembering the fallen

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...