9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 9:02 PM by oje716 RSS

New York Marriott East Side

gsueagle68 Platinum 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

Has any one stayed at the New York Marriott East Side?  Is this property in a good location?  Meaning, is it close to attractions, notable restaurants etc.

Thanks for your input.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: New York Marriott East Side
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

We stay at this hotel mostly every time we visit NYC (usually twice a year). It is on Lexington and 49th, across from the Waldorf. It is very easy to walk to Rockefeller Center, Broadway, Fifth Avenue, Central Park. If going down to the statue of Liberty or the financial district (WTC Memorial), the subway (the 4 line) is two blocks from the hotel at 49th. Grand Central is only 3 or 4 blocks away from the hotel for access to many other distance destinations.

The staff here has always been very professional and courteous and the Concierge Lounge is actually staffed and they are attentive to who comes in so they don't have unwanted (meaning those who stand outside the CL door at other locations waiting for someone to go in and they follow) guests. There is also an outside seating area at the CL. The food is excellent. The bar and restaurant on the first floor have undergone recent renovations so I'm not sure how they turned out. The rooms in the hotel can be small, but we when we have been upgraded to a larger room, they are fine.

Smith & Wollensky is the next block over behind the hotel and many other restaurants are easy to get to. Not sure what type of food you like, but there are many choices nearby in the places and streets I mentioned above.

Hope this helps!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thank you so much for the great information.  I relieved to know that the selection was a good one.  It's been many years since I have been to NYC and the wife has never been.  It will be a great trip.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

We really like that hotel - definitely one of our NYC favorites.  If you get upgraded, you'll be ecstatic.

Here's a data dump on NYC hotels that you might find interesting: https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/8367

See also: https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/11806#11806

ENJOY!

Thanks for confirming that it is a good selection.  I really hope we can get an upgrade.  Thanks for the links!

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

This is the only hotel that I have stayed at in the city of New York.

I really enjoyed the area.

My wife wanted to have a martini. We sat at a table for four.  The waiter insisted that we sit at another, smaller table, which was for two.  There was no lineup or anyone else waiting for that table for four - and it was not full.

Shortly after we were seated in our new smaller table, another couple sat at that table for four and was not moved.  So from that point forward, unless there's a reserved sign or a  party of four waiting, there's no way I will be moving, particuarly not at this property (if I ever go to it again).  I also noted that they put a mandatory 15% tip on the bill.  I didn't notice any of the other places doing this.....but at the time I was tipping 20%, so just for them, I tipped 15% instead.

The hotel was "okay".  Not fantastic.  Probably will be looking at staying at a different property next time I am there.

I suggest everyone avoid the lounge, that way they might notice a drop in business for the way they treat people.

thanks for the info.

stumpy Platinum

I live just outside the city and I stay at the NY properties when in town for a lte meeting etc. The East Side is a good  choice but is mostly a quiet business hotel. Easy access to most  midtown  buildings, subways and business restaurants like Smith and Wollensky and Sparks (my favorite). If you want to feel like a tourist, stay at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. This is a huge property in the heart of the theater district loaded with tourists. Lots of fun and excitement in the neighborhood.

thanks for the insight.

oje716 Platinum

Can't afford it.  That's why we recently stayed at Courtyard Marriott on E. 40th St.  Great location with access to metro and buses. Hotel doesn't have a restaurant but the Salmon River Restaurant next door has wonderful lunches and dinners. Not open for breakfast.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...