7 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2013 7:26 AM by erc RSS

Anchorage Marriott Downtown, Iditarod (Ceremonial Start)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Second night at the Anchorage Marriott Downtown....  Observations:

• Really nice panoramic view of the water (although the snow has currently obscured it).  Sorry, lousy photos - alas - you can actually see my camera in the reflection in the first one - but you get the idea...  If the sky clears, I'll take and post better photos.
    • view-1.JPGP1010634.JPG.
  • Nice, warm greeting at the check-in desk.
    • Thanked me for being Platinum.
    • Immediately - without being asked - changed me from the 4th to the 12th floor and put me on the "view" side of the hotel.  She literally scoffed at my original room assignment.
      • She also (promptly) called for foam pillows to be brought up to my new room (and they appeared almost immediately).
    • My heart goes out to the poor folks that man the reception area.  The reception area is tiny, and it's right across from the main entrance/exit/taxi stand.  It was REALLY cold standing there.  Everyone we saw checking in joked about it.  But it wouldn't be funny if you were standing behind that desk in a suit (rather than in winter outdoor gear)....
  • Perfect location - close to the water, museum, convention center, mall, etc.
  • Hotel is - apparently - at least partially under renovation (although I don't remember being advised of that when I made the reservation or prior to my arrival - which, frankly, is a little irritating).
  • My room - which is nice enough - was recently remodeled, but the closet sliding glass door is already off the rails - not good.
    • Excellent work surface - they've got the rolling desk-under-desk set up (which I really appreciate).
    • No robes or slippers (which seems strange, because it's pretty chilly).
    • No safe or fridge in the room.
    • Classic tube TV - haven't seen one of those in a Marriott for ages!!!!
  • Wall Street Journal at my door when I awoke at 5:15. Nice!
  • Temporary concierge lounge is unimpressive, but they gave us breakfast buffet coupons, and we really enjoyed the breakfast buffet.  Nothing terribly special, but they had all the basics (including plentiful, colorful, tasty fresh fruit in large quantities).
  • My colleague said that the bottle of wine they delivered as my Platinum welcome gift was quite good.  I ate the mixed nuts - they hit the spot.
  • Haven't been up here for nearly 20 years... Alas, frankly, I like the city better when it's warm and green.  Such is life.
  • The (largely ceremonial) start of the Iditarod was today, so there was lots of action downtown.  It was a LOT of fun.
  • Id-7.JPGId-6.JPGId-9.JPGId-4.JPGId-8(Balto).JPGAnd, yes, that's Balto (and you can see him in NYC too)!!!
  • Other (slightly older) comments by insiders are here:

Message was edited (and photos added) by: ssindc

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Anchorage, Alaska, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Anchorage Marriott Downtown
  • Re: Anchorage Marriott Downtown
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ssindc

Great review!  thanks.  I cannot imagine Anchorage on my travel schedule, but if it does I now know where to stay.

thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

ssindc -- thanks for that review.  I left AK over 20 years ago and would definitely like to go back for one last salmon run and moose hunt before my bones won't be able to take that cold anymore.  Maybe in a couple of years.  Great hunting and fishing memories for me.  Thanks again.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

There's a lot of "cold" mentioned in this discussion. The pictures even look like it's really cold. So, it begs the question....how cold is it?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Actually, it's significantly warmer today - it's in the 20's (although it is a bit windy).... Yesterday, it was in the teens....

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

You have convinced me to only stay in Anchorage when the weather is warmer...Florida is better at this time of year!!!

• Re: Anchorage Marriott Downtown, Iditarod (Ceremonial Start)
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

ssindc,

I've never been to Anchorage, but my wife's family is from there, so we'd like to go visit that area someday.  Don't know if I'd want to try the cold part of winter, but the Iditarod would be a good reason.

• Re: Anchorage Marriott Downtown, Iditarod (Ceremonial Start)
    erc Platinum

Although this is last year's post and only the most intrepid of travelers take on Anchorage in March like ssindc did (it must be the Falls Church pho), we're moving into cruise season. If you find yourself in Anchorage with a few extra nights and want a taste of the local culture, use the excellent overview above and consider Whale Fat Follies   as an evening of light entertainment. This is a PG16 comedy sketch team that puts on a good show satirizing Alaska, without being crude, too insider-ish, or too wonky. I just received an e-mail and I remembered what a good time our group had having some pub grub, a few drafts (it's Alaskan casual) and watching the show and the reactions.

So if the stars align, you're in town with some open time and you want to catch some local flavor, check out Mr. Whitekeys. I do not have any financial interest in the group (they're so wacky, they're probably losing their fanny) but I can sometimes resemble the namesake after one of my many four meal days. enjoy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...