21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2012 7:35 AM by anadyr RSS

Lewis and Clark, Veterans Memorial!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A short drive from the FF, in St. Charles, Mo. is the Veterans Memorial, next to the Lewis and Clark Memorial Park, you will also enjoy it!  Here are some photo's. A "Touching" Memorial!

IMG_1971.jpgIMG_1972.JPGIMG_1973.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St. Charles, Missouri, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn St. Louis St. Charles
  • Re: Lewis and Clark, Veterans Memorial!

One more photo!IMG_1977.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Thank you Jerry, for putting up these wonderful pictures.  The words inscribed on the memorial are so true!

Thanks Tryt!

This kind of post may be of little interest to most people, but is historically significant. 

Thanks for you contribution to this post.

I find all your posts very interesting Jerry

Tryt,

Thanks!

I am going to try to do something of interest each week, as I travel.  It forces me to get out and enjoy the wonderful places we all can appreciate.  It does not have to be only "Exotic", but real places with real people.

That sounds like a neat idea.  I'll try to stay tuned....

Tryt,

I am working on next week, Washington, Mo.  A river town, visited by Lewis and Clark, and home of the famous, "Corn Cob Pipe"!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

my wife was raised in Washington, Mo.  Went to school at St Francis Borgia.  Lived in a house built in the 1800's on Main Street.  what a small world, right?  We were married at that parish church......

Shoeman,

Tell your wife, I will have some photo's for her next week that will bring back memories.

Will be dining at The American Bounty, not far from the Amtrak station and visiting other historical spots.  Meeting at the Sleep in, but will be commuting from the FF in Fenton, Mo.

We live close to where Lewis and Clark ended their trail and have visited many of their historial landmarks along with the end of the Trail Monument at Seaside, OR. 

tryt,

I have always wanted to make it to the final fort, but never had time while in Portland.  Enjoyed the Marriott's there, and also had some great meals at The Heathman Hotel (Is my memory correct?). 

Wonderful, scenic, and historical area!

Thanks for sharing this.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Good idea--the people we meet and their stories, big and small, are always interesting

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

This is at the top of my list to see on my next trip to ST Louis area.  Thanks, Jerrycoin.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Thanks for sharing this with all of us and those of us that have served our country!!!

We;re getting older Jasper but we never forget, do we?

SS, NU, and Jasper along with the rest of the Veterans,  None of us should forget your service!

My three years in the Infantry never resulted in more than an occasional paper cut, for which I am grateful.  I mourn the loss of those who are no longer with us.   My leaving was with no regret but with a pride that I have never forgotten. Now I mjet fol;ks my age who proudly tell me of shenanigans to stay out of the military,partly out of guilt I hope but sometimes to brag about connections their parents had. Ironically they are proud of today's service members.  I feel sorry for these men whose cowardice was more important than their willingness to serve.

SS,

I was 11 Bang Bang, at Ft. Polk, when they were shipping men to VN.  I was lucky, I did not have to go, but I would have.  Agree with your last sentence.  We really have some great "Protectors" today!

Irony is that these folks need to nexplain what they did and I already figured it out long ago.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"I feel sorry for these men whose cowardice was more important than their willingness to serve."

you are a lot kinder and tactful than I would ever be about this issue.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I cannot begin to imagine the sense of pride that serving our great country bestows upon those individuals that had both the opportunity means to do so.  I will be forever grateful for all of you that did so.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...