9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 29, 2012 6:01 PM by nuhusker RSS

Daytona!  Share your thoughts.  Tell us about the race.  Tell us about your stay.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Wow.  What a race.  Were you there?  Tell us about it, and tell us about your stay.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Daytona Beach, Florida, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport
Daytona Beach, Florida, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport
  • Re: Daytona!  Share your thoughts.  Tell us about the race.  Tell us about your stay.
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I wasn't able to catch any of the race - can someone give us a quick recap?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Daytona!  Share your thoughts.  Tell us about the race.  Tell us about your stay.
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Lorifleenor, I was disappointed, mainly because I was in a SHS in Council Bluffs, and just couldn't stay awake during the 2hour delay.  The race lost a lot of its thrill due to the 30 hour weather delay and running on a Monday instead of the traditional Sunday.  I suppose the wreck on lap 1 should have been an indicator that this was not your usual Daytona 500.  Lucky you in CA, you got the race at a decent hour.  Are you a Jimmy Johnson fan?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

nuhusker,

Yes, an unusual race.  I guess I spaced it out (maybe because of the Oscars?) so was a little confused.  I had come home from work Monday, and was working in the kitchen when suddenly I looked up and asked, "Is that Daytona?"  It had been on since 4pm.  I agree that the delay wierdness took a lot of wind out of it's sail.  I was so thankful that no one was hurt from the wierd collision between Montoya and the fuel truck.  I do rather like JJ.  Also, Carl Edwards.  I don't follow NASCAR as much as I used to, but this was definitely a wierd race.  Just curious if any MRI's made a trip out of it, because apparently many, many people do.

For community manager, here are the standings:

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2012/1/data/standings_official.html

Regards.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

husker:

To the contrary for me, I couldn't fall asleep during the delay!

As a former racer, and seeing the repairs they were making on the track, and knowing how a 'blemished' racing surface (especially in or at a high speed turn) can upset the balance of the car, and the problem with the repair being just before a turn after a straightaway when the most grip is needed for the corner.........I was anxious to see how the repairs on the surface held up....and they did like no work had been done!

Amazing the work those guys did to get the surface repaired and the race completed! It was a really good race!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I tried as hard as I could and normally when the Pats play on Sunday or Monday night I tape it and watch it when I wake up at 4am.  But I had to be up at the college to teach at 8am Tuesday, so I saw the first hour and fell asleep.  There wouldn't have been any point even in DVRing it since my time length would have run out.  I am a big fan of Sunday early afternoon races, except when they conflict with the NFL.  Of course, it didn't help keep me awak what with having Newman's tire go down and do so much damage early.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree tef, that these guys are amazing!  I was ratcheted to the tv a couple of years ago when they did the pot hole repair a few times during the race.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...