This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

89 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2012 5:57 PM by eb5147 RSS

Marriott Raises Category for 15% of Hotels

superchief1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

There was a posting by the Marriott Community Manager in Flyertalk that Marriott is changing the rewards categories of many hotels and resort. Fifteen percent of the total hotels are going up in category, and only 3 % are going down. The new categories will go into effect for reservations after 3/15/12. I am a lifetime platinum member, and this is the only communication of this change that I have received. I have not seen anything regarding this on the Marriott Insiders, although I have to admit that I still can't figure out how to navigate the new site.

After Bill Marriott stepped down, I think Marriott is following the same as Disney did when Eisner took over. Their balance sheets will look better in the short term, but they will lose the strong loyalty that took years to establish. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Raises Category for 15% of Hotels
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

superchief1

It is on Insiders.  I'm not sure where, but I saw a post earlier.  On this site, once a post is removed from the cover page, it goes into a black hole as far as I'm concerned.....

Regarding the changing of categories, just further dilution of the awards......

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

Found it ... from the home page look on the right hand side for "exclusive sneak peek"

Here is the link Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks for sharing the link allyson!

You can "follow" most sections of the site, blogs, discussions or even people to automatically receive updates on that specific activity. So for automatic updates on all the latest news, leaks and promotions "follow" the Exclusive Sneak Peaks blog.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Thanks for the helpful information...

A little frustrating, indeed... but, to the extent that we've consistently burnt large sums of points to stay at the nicer hotels (heck, we blew 450,000 points last summer for a wonderful stay - two rooms - at the Ritz Carlton in Barcelona), I think I understand where they're coming from.  I don't mean to be Pollyanna, but I'd rather they raise the number of points than take them off the list....

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I agree but  would hope that we all realize that Marriott International is the proverbial  elephant in the room here and controls this all, including the categories of hotels.  We as consumers and members of Marriott Rewards get that privilege for free, as it were, and use the points or stash them.  As has been mentioned elsewhere the points are in effect a debt for Marriott hotels.  Like interest rates the categories change and not always for the better. And I do not think it is fair to single out Ed French in this discussion even if we're frustrated.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

You are right, I probably should not have singled out Ed, but he was the face of the new Enhancements back in 2009.

I am also one of those that save my points for that big trip. Looks like there will be less trips in my future.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes, just another dilution of Marriott Points. Lesson to be learned I guess is to use your points as soon as you can because you can be certain that point dilution will continue. What a Shame...Seems to me that it would be fairer for Marriott to equal out the category increases and category decreases rather than continually diluting their most loyal customer point accumulations!!!

I remember the good old days when even MVCI was uncategorized

blava007 Platinum

Do we all believe that 15% of the selected Marriott Hotels in the past year have improved and delivered higher quality of service levels and they deserve to be upgraded? 

Wow, just another way to lower benefits to the MR members and loyal customers !    

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings blava007, there's more explanation in the announcement of category changes but they're not determined by service levels. Hotel categories determine the number of Marriott Rewards points necessary to redeem for a free night. For instance a category 4 hotel requires 20,000 points while a category 8 hotel requires 40,000 points (Here’s the full table). Marriott Rewards has 8 hotel categories which are determined by prior year redemption volume at each hotel and are not determined by brand, rate, amenities, location, or services offered.

bazzap Platinum

You say

announcement of category changes but they're not determined by service levels

If they had been determined by service levels, that would at least have given a reason for the overall increase in Category (and effectively cost)

As it is, I am still not hearing a reasonable justification for what is in reality another reduction in the value of Marriott Rewards Points.

I have only recently ordered a Marriott Rewards Travel Package with 2x Accommodation Certificates Category 1-5, based on the previous list.

Now I am faced with either

having to make my reservations with these Certificates at hotels (such as the Budapest Marriott hotel we had hoped to stay and where the category has been raised) by 15th March (at least you have made this option available), although as the Certificates are valid until February 2013 I had intended to plan my trips more at my own leisure

or

choosing alternative hotels from a more restricted range and accepting the reduced value you have imposed on these Certificates

This really is disappointing Customer Service.

I really do believe you should honour these Certificates for the Category level at the time the Certificate was ordered.

Surely you must agree with this?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree with your premise Bazzap. Honor the category level at the time of purchase.   And don't call him Shirley.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

PP,

You must watch a lot of "Airplane" re-runs!  So sorry to see the "Old Swamp Fox", Leslie N. is gone, he was a classic!

blava007 Platinum

Jerrycoin,

Your many insightful travel comments and photos are very informative and helpful, but this last comment you made cannot be YOU, is it?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

blava007,

Sorry to ruin my image with you, but YES, that was me, and I really enjoyed Leslie.  Forgive me, if I let you down.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

The redemption volume can't be the only factor. It doesn't make sense that there are properties that many folks on here try to book with points and never get in. Many of us will start trying a year out and never see availability for points. That would seem to mean that these hotels, although high on the catagory ranking, rarely have point stays.

playah Gold 1 Reviews

Ever heard of the analogy of a frog put into a pot of water and slowly increase the heat? This is exactly what Marriott is doing as they raise the points slowly so its not a glaring jump in the pain they inflict on all of us.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

WOW!!!  I am completely surprised that a hotel's category is based on number of point redemptions, not on service and amenity level!!!  I would have never, ever guessed that. 

Wonder what other people who are not MRI members think when they see a Cat 8 hotel?  I'd think it was the top of the line.... apparently not!  Just a highly used hotel that could be a total dump.

Where on earth does Marriott come up with this stuff?????

So, I wonder why the Grand Flora is a Cat 8?  Not enough people can redeem points to get in there to classify it as a Cat 8!

I'm using the rest of my points and getting out.  So long, folks.  And, I've been a MR member since the very beginning.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi NewHilton,

I think the Grand Flora has one of those grand Cat 8 exemptions, though from what I've heard if you call them directly it's possible to get rooms for rewards.  But this policy (based on redemptions) suddenly makes things less incomprehensible (purposeful double negative).  I have always wondered why one of the best Marriotts in the world (the Athens Ledra) has a low category. Now I'll have to check out some more of them since my second favorite is the Ghent Marriott. 

ProfChiara

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

That explains why the huge CY outside of Birmingham, AL was a class 4 compared to class 3 for most CY.

New info to keep in mind.  :-) 

superchief1 Platinum

This is effectively a 'price increase' of 20-25% for current category 4 and 5 hotels which I find to be unjustified, and is another bait and switch tactic to get you to earn points with the expectation of current values, and then raising the value as soon as you have enough points for your desired reward. A two week notice of the change is really an insult. The new management at Marriott is quickly eroding the loyalty that took over 15 yr. to build. It is much easier to keep a loyal customer than to get one back.

I have to identify a hotel for 3 nights for our group of 7 travelers in three weeks and we will not be staying at a Marriott property due to this recent confirmation that Marriott thinks they will do better without us

superchief1

too bad we don't have Pingreeman around to quantify these changes.  One thing is for sure, the gap between Marriott and Hilton is closing fast........

Marriott  - I suggest you stop looking at your Radar Screen and start an actionable plan.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

shoeman:

I think they are well into their action plan....

No more BOGO's; All-inclusive deals discontinued; Rewards values for redemptions continue to increase; no redemption of Marriott cheques for ID-required deals (like senior rates).........and on and on! And still...the 'no breakfast for you'! ..on weekends rolls on. I'll stop here.

Depressing to list them all!

superchief1 Platinum

The list for Marriott Vacationclub owners who invested thousands of dollars in Marriott is even worse than the MR list. Many of us have been impacted by both. I had hung in there thinking that management would eventually realize you can't continue to alienate your most loyal customers without long term financial implications, but they appear to be only focused on short-term bottom line (and probably their bonuses). Previous management recognized that loyal customers would pay a premium to stay in a Marriott property. Now, my hotel choice will be based only on price and convenience. This will likely directly cost them 300 nights per year for which I have direct influence on our lodging choice (in addition to situations where people ask me for travel recommendations.. 

playah Gold 1 Reviews

Same boat as you. I am a Vaction Club member and a stay 50 nights a year. I must say I'm discouraged on both fronts by these actions.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Superchief1 is 1000% correct about the timeshare disaster. I didn't want to go there (I own multiple weeks) because I would have ranted for pages.... but, it is truly a disgrace as to what they have done to and against the timeshare owners who have been their customers from way back when timeshare was in its infancy for Marriott. I guess they've figured there is a new way to reward loyalty these days.....

You just gotta love these new enhancements.

Wouldn't you all agree that Mr. French is doing a fabulous job?

I suspect he is doing a great job in 'enhancing' shareholder equity, which is every Marriott employees #1 priority.  That said, this is just one more example why hoarding points for years, waiting for that Big Kahuna of a vacation, is in reality, a gift to Marriott.  If you are not careful, Marriott may price you out of that dream vacation you are saving points to take.

I suspect I will run out of places to use my points before they have enough value (in terms of value and points required) to go there

ss

not if you decided to take several week-long vacations at a Ritz in an exotic locale.........

Two million plus at least a month at a Ritz

yup.

or four months at a category one

How many cat 1 hotels have you stayed at in the past few years???

None that I know of, but that doesn't mean some deserved it!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

shoeman, I often stay at cat 1 FFI.  for 7500 points, it's a bargain!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

It's hard to beat the point value at Fairfield Inns, especially when it you plan on spending a minimum amount of time each day in your room.

Husker

I have my entire extended family staying at a ff for my daughters wedding. In Austin, tx they are all cat 3, 15k a night!  My point is if the ff is cat 3, what on earth is a cat 1???

might be an Econolodge conversion in a bad neighborhood?

ya

As I recall you can search by category on Marriott.com

As I said once before, I think all should be judged by the standards of the Bates Motel in terms of room condition, shower cleanliness, and hospitality at check-in.

blava007 Platinum

OK, I cannot believe what I’m reading from some of the prolific Blog Writers (steppingstones, jasper100, profchiara, shoeman1000, jerrycoin, etc.).  It should be clear to us by now the hotel Reward Levels are not based upon quality of the hotels but on numbers/demand and desire for Marriott Members to redeem and request stays at the hotels using Marriott Points.

Thus, why do you question the quality of the Reward Level 1, 2 hotels; since we know they could be the same or better as any other level 4 hotels; they just happen to be in less desirable tourist/travel locations, etc. 

Now let’s see an example Marriott Rewards category 4 level: Bucharest JW Marriott Grand Hotel, grand in every way, surrounds you with elegance befitting the chosen hotel of European royalty and international dignitaries,  prestigiously located next to the stunning Parliament Palace.   I know in most/any other metropolitan cities this JW   Hotel would be Level 8.  

So all for all my prolific Marriott Bloggers, stop for a second before you write your comments, as I said before, we are not in middle school.  Also, please stop asking where your PP card is, you do not need it the card, the hotel has/knows all of your information, status levels at/or before check-in.

At times I sympathize with the Communitymanager for having to read the comments.  How do we expect the Communitymanager to be seriously addressing our real and priority issues?.  On the other hand, many times I’m infuriated to read Communitymanager’s  standard responses and direct links to the Marriott official website, that is not helpful all.     

Please let's keep our focus on real and high priorities issues; it will benefit all of us.

Dear Blava007.

I am not being a snob in any way -- but there are no Category 1 or 2 hotels that I know of outside of the US.  There may be some Cat 3's but if so they've been recently downgraded.  My work and research takes me entirely to Europe and the Middle East, so that's the only point I was trying to make.

ProfChiara

That's alright, ProfC.

I happen to like the blogs by the prolific bloggers.  They care and give a lot of interesting info, besides connect with each other and others.

Yay, friendly, prolific bloggers.

I needed to use my card just the other day when we checked in.  They said that someone else had checked in under our name at 10:41 a.m. and I told them that was impossible since we were there then at abt. 7 p.m.  They never did respond as to whether or not our card had also been accessed by the other party so I guess we'll have to ck. on every card we have used with Marriott for a while.  (Even though internationals do seem to have a better grasp on hospitality than a lot of U.S. Americans, there is sometimes a lack of business acumen and understanding on their part and sometimes there is too much greed with foreign owned or franchised hotels here in our country.  I usually will not stay at those and many are Best Western, Quality Inn, and one that reminds me of "motel".)  Anyway, the GM was saying that if someone else wanted to pay for my room, he'd let them.  I couldn't seem to get him to understand that if it was my card, I'd be paying for someone else.  

Wait a minute. Are you trying to say that someone checked in under your name and possibly used your card? At the same property on the same day, within hours of your arrival?

Sounds to me like the desk clerk checking in another guest inadvertently used your reservation when selecting it from the screen.

Seems to me this is easy to verify by simply knocking on the door of the room assigned and asking some questions.

mikiegfla and tryt53,

That is what happened.  I just couldn't get a straight answer from them.  I called CS a bit ago and after a lot of transferals and holds while they looked into it, they had a mgr. from the location call me to tell me they had immediately been checked out.  I don't know why the night time people couldn't have told me that and not asked for proof of my ID and why they couldn't have told me right off that nothing had been charged to my name.  And then when the daytime mgr. called a while ago, he asked me if I was traveling in a group and I told him no.  He turned right around and told me that he thought the group I was traveling with had someone with the same name.  I told him "No! No! No!  I wasn't traveling with a group.  My son and I were just going from Montgomery, AL to Myrtle Beach and stopped there en route."  I couldn't listen to any more assumptions that contradicted what I'd just said, so I hung up and called CS after a while.  But at least he did tell me that they had been checked right out immediately, which wasn't what I was getting Sat. night.   

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

eb5147,

It sounds like someone used your name only (could they possibly have the same name), is that correct?  I know I was at a facility where someone had the same name as I do, and it's not that common of a name either.  I would not be as concerned if they have a different Marriott Rewards number, but I definitely would still check my bill and credit card charges for a while.  You never know if someone just checks the name when they add a charge, and not the room number, like they should.

Not good --check your MR account for suspicious activity.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Well, that's a good question but my experience is that the category is sometimes defined by location and proximity to other attractions and so on.  I imagine that since Austin is full of nightlife and other stuff to do  it's easy to justify a higher rating.  And I've also heard that everything is more expensive in Austin so maybe, just maybe, they're a lot prouder of their stuff than, say, I would be.  I've stayed at the TPS in Dayton near I-75 and I-70 intersection several times and it's cat 1.  Nice property, a block or two from several chain restaurants like Ruby Tuesday for instance, and the staff couldn't be more accomodating.  A FFI in Galesburg, IL and Muscatine, Iowa are cat 1, and aside from the fact that there's very little to do or see in those areas, the hotel meets my needs for a night   Therre are many others, and some may be as steppingstones described as Econolodge conversion in a bad neighborhood but I would never stay at one like that or take my family to such a place.  I realize though that there are a lot of folks who find this perfectly acceptable and in fact a treat in some cases.  Speaking of weddings...our daughter is getting married next month in Raleigh.  There is a great FFI, cat 3 as you described, near the airport.  But we chose the downtown Marriott which is a lot nicer and much closer to the activities, and is a Cat 4.  But they treat us good, comp breakfast for wife and I on weekends and an occasional suite upgrade, so we decided to give them the opporitunigyt for some business.  I'm using a ton of points to put up other children and their families and a couple of other family members, but all others are paying a very good rate for a Friday and Saturday night stay.