12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2012 2:45 PM by anadyr RSS

At the Villa of Reduced Categories of Hotels?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

OK, what is the real story with Marriott hotel categories?  Are they location dependent?  Does the FF Inn in Key West actually deserve it's category, or the Marriott Fort Lauderdale North.  One is a five and the other a four.  What amenities should we expect in a Cat 4 Marriott?  A Cat 5 FF Inn?  Is there a formula for making these category distinctions? Has there been an across the board review of categories?  Should there be?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: At the Villa of Reduced Categories of Hotels?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I've always thought the 3 main criteria were:

1. Location

2. occupancy rate

3. room rate

never saw it  as a 'star' system, but rather a system to quantify the dollars a 'free' room is worth.

maybe I'm wrong.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Could be--let's see if the CM can clarify.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Let's see.  I cannot imagine the cm will acknowledge that the reason a hotel moves down a category because amenities at the property have diminished..........

I agree and think that there is some mojo in the mix of deciding--just don't know what that mojo is.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

NathalieF Andy, Is there anyone who could shed any real information on these questions about Category Ratings?  Thanks!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Good morning - Hotel categories determine the number of Marriott Rewards points necessary to redeem for a free night. For instance a category 4 hotel requires 20,000 points while a category 8 hotel requires 40,000 points (Here’s the full table). Marriott Rewards has 8 hotel categories which are determined by prior year redemption volume at each hotel and are not determined by brand, rate, amenities, location, or services offered.

We've actually just posted the list of hotel category changes for 2012 with an explanation of hotel categories to help clarify.

Helpful Hint: "Follow" the Exclusive Sneak Peaks blog for automatic updates on all the latest news, leaks and promotions.

Very interesting and thanks Andy.  A whole different scenario than I had imagined

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Thank you Andy!  That was a huge help and gave me a much different view than what I thought the criteria were!  I am downloading the Category Directory to my mobile devices so I can search them on my iPad and access them from my iPhone.  Too bad we can't get to that list from the main Marriott page when we try to use our points for a stay.  I know some of that information is available, but this full listing will help me a lot more.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

That is an excellent question.  When I receive those Cat 1-4 hotel certificates, naturally I would like to use them at a more expensive Cat 4 so as to get my money's worth.  Some Cat 4's are listed as low as $79/night, and others (I'm thinking of a CY in La Jolla) that can go for $279/night.  It was disappointing to hear that the credit card annual fee is increasing to $85.  I felt like I was getting a deal at $65, because of the annual hotel certificate.

Last October, I used one at a CY in Boise.  The rate was only $79, but it was a beautiful property, the room was lovely, the breakfast lovely, and the public areas inviting.  Below is a photo of one of the two tabletop outdoor fire pits.  Weather was cold, but the fire and a glass of wine warmed the body and soul.

Boise West-Meridian Fire Pit 1.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...