15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 29, 2012 9:35 AM by anadyr RSS

Pushing the envelope on Insiders about hotels

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

At times I am guilty of being overly critical about little things at Marriott, and perhaps that's not fair.  But I do this not to be adversarial, but to point out those deficiencies that may or may not be noticed by hotel staff.

I used to put a small piece of tape under the corner of the bed to see what might happen when the room was serviced. This was overly compulsive on my part and I stopped doing it, for the most part.

But I always expect a clean room, a full supply of clean towels and bed clothes, and those little amenities as well.

Am I too critical?  Maybe not but I need to be vigilant and ensure that hotels keep their end of the bargain.

Thoughts or comments?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Pushing the envelope on Insiders about hotels
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I certainly want a clean room each day but I'm not doing the 'white glove' check. In reality, the issues outside the room I am staying in are more important to me than the room itself because I spend so little time in it. Sleep, shower, go.....that's it....and that's because I'm not there for a business arrangement (so don't have to prep anything in my room), I'm there for leisurely fun. Gone early, back late!

To me, the service end from the Concierge Lounge to the valet to the front desk staff to the concierge desk to the restaurant/lounge to the parking arrangements are, for the most part, more important than my room issue. The room only becomes an issue when it is not cleaned at all and that rarely happens. I travel not to be stuck in my room, but to see where it is I have traveled to and what is there to discover. The service the hotel staff provides regarding these areas and their ability to get me on my way to enjoy the day is the bigger issue. But, that's just me.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Please expound on the "small piece of tape under the corner of the bed". I'm not familiar with this technique.

I enjoy most of my stays. I'm not looking for perfection. I feel "clean" should be a given. That being said, one person's clean is another person's mess.

The best, biggest, most important, part of the stay is that someone appreciates the fact that I could have stayed anywhere, but chose to stay in their hotel. When I get that feeling from the staff, I feel good. I don't get this with all stays, but when I do, I sing the praises to any and all. 

Simply take a small piece of scotch or duct tape and roll it into a cricle.  Then place it on the corner of the bed slightly visible to the naked eye and see what happens--most times it never leaves the spot or even gets pushed under the bed.

Yes clean is foremost for me, too

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

I am afraid to do this test, do not want to see the results!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

After your experience with the white bedroom shoes, that's understandable.  As you pointed out in that post, that was disgusting!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

nu,

I cannot account for that place.  Not only that, I never heard a thing from anyone.  That was one of the worst trips I have ever experienced.  Have since stayed at other SHS, and they were very good.  I would pull up a picture, but for some reason, pictures are not being allowed today?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

jerrycoin - did you send the hotel manager a picture of those slippers?

Also, were in St Charles last night during the storm?

I see the cleanliness of the room as part of my contract with the hotel--in many cases they never live up to their end of it

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...