This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

33 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2013 1:52 PM by anadyr Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Website Rant

cjkatl Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just when it seemed the Marriott Website couldn't get any worse, Marriott pushes through another update that achieves the seemingly impossible.

Marriott, your Website has gone from horrible to where being horrible would be an achievement. The floating box for account information makes a difficult site even harder and less intuitive to use.

I needed to send a request for missing stay credit. The link that was previous on the site has disappeared. I emailed. Your helpful (that's sarcasm) techs gave me directions to where the link used to be, but couldn't be bothered to actually check to see if the link was actually there. Your Website wasted my time, and your auto-response wasted more of my time when I again confirmed the link is gone.

Just because the programmers can create a site with lots of distractions doesn't mean they should. Simple, clean and easy to use is better for customers than gimmicky, cluttered and requiring lots of hunting to find what you need. You might think that having all that noise on your site will lead to people spending more money with Marriott, but the truth is, clutter will drive away more customers.

Please, please, please help out your customers by going back to the simple, easy to use site you had two years ago.

Thank you for letting me rant.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Website Rant
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Well, let's keep the rant going....

Has anyone else experienced this:  when I go to the Marriott site, the sign in box is hidden and I need to click on it just so I can fill in my information.  Then, when I click 'enter', the box is hidden again and I need to click on the box to get it to be available.    very frustrating and totally unnecessary.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I add my two cents to what both of you are saying.  When I first went on today and signed it I expected it to take me immediately to my account and Insiders -- instead that extra step of floating around till you get there.

Does anyone get this?  We are busy people and we don't need extra, useless stuff. 

ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I got that too

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I think this is one of the enhancements that we heard were going to be implemented a few days ago.  I agree, this step was not an enhancement, but a step backwards.  NathalieF Andy, can we pass this feedback back to the people that implemented this, that it causes all of us a lot of extra pain?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Agree again with The Professor!  It takes too much valuable time to be "Frustrated".

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

As a completely non-computer person, I question whether or not I might even be able to do a better job with the website than the marriott team has done.  At least I know when to leave well enough alone.  I know what you mean profchaira and shoeman about the sign in issue.  And what makes absolutely no sense to me, is that the sign in on my iPad is completely different from the desk top and laptop.  I will say that a couple of years ago when I was having a problem with the website, when I called Marriott customer service they gave me the phone number for the Marriott IT people who were very responsive to helping me get my problem solved.  I don't even remember now what it was, I was satisfied with the help they gave me.  It seems like at some point Marriott would get it right and leave it alone.  Just curious...do other hotel chains constantly tinker with their websites?  I know Delta doesn't seem to.

cjkatl Platinum

Someone on Flyertalk noted that the Hilton site is a little clumsy, but with the latest "improvements" to the Marriott site, Marriott had sunk below Hilton in terms of sites. The Hilton site is more staid and functional. Unlike Marriott, Hilton doesn't clutter its site with visual noise. You can make a reservation in a few clicks and easily see your upcoming and past reservations without hurting your eyes.

One thing that's always been an advantage on the Hilton site is the ability to reprint previous stay folios.

While I didn't love the new DL site at first, after giving it a chance, I grew to like it. I tried to do the same with the Marriott site, which was changed at about the same time as the DL site, but every time I go into the Marriott site I dislike it more. It's gotten to the point where I've gone back to using my company's travel site, which leads me to book at Hilton properties.

BTW - I like the Marriott iPhone app, so it's not an anti-tech or anti-Marriott thing here.

sanjuancap Platinum 5 Reviews

Agreed - what's up with all the moving windows on Marriott.com?  Who thought that moving and disappearing windows would improve users' experience?  This is just the latest bad idea to show up on the front page.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Here's what I don't get beyond the good input everyone has given to this 'sign-in' matter....

Marriott took a complete marketing tablet they previously used for promotional deal material (isn't that how their business thrives...marketing to create revenue??) and made it into a sign in table that has zero value towards revenue generation...to say nothing of the fact so well reported by Insiders that now we have extra work to do to get to the MRI site......and the previous easier to use sign-in area is now empty.

Who runs things here anyway? To take a good marketing tool and make it a tech nightmare is counter-intuitive to what they should be doing!

From revenue generation advertising deals to aggravation for your customers....wow.....'nuff said...

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

I agree with all of you completely.    When I went online to check my upcoming reservation, the sign-on screen jumped all over the place.   Since I was using my traveling netbook (not my usual computer) I thought the keypad was malfunctioning.   Happy it was Marriott techies but -- stupid, stupid change.

superchief1 Platinum

I've also noticed that I can no longer add my MR number to a reservation even if I have the confirmation number. I don't know when this change took place. Each 'upgrade' makes the site much less easy to use and useful to the common traveler. It reminds me of the Windows 'upgrades'. I can no longer find/do what I really want to do, but they have added a lot of features that I will never use.

I have not noticed that but thanks for letting us know

It's a pain in the you-know-what.  What used to take the normal sign plus 1 click now takes 3 clicks and you have to go for the moving target.

I have yet to experience this but it is my dumb luck!

Seriously?  It happens absolutely every time I log in or log in again (since it times out so quickly) and I am using my home computer, so not even a handheld device.  Your eyes maybe ?

I never have seen this except one time and we're travelling a lot now so if anyone got it it would be me! My seeing eye dog cannot type by the way

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings superchief1 - is your reservation part of a group rate or booking? If so, and you are paying for the room, you can add your Marriott Rewards account information to the reservation at check-in.

superchief1 Platinum

Thank you for your reply, but I think you (and Marriott management) are significantly missing the point. Previously, all I had to do was visit the website and enter my res # and easily add my MR number to the reservation. Now, if I want it to be in my profile prior to my arrival (so I have a slight opportunity of being rewarded for my status), I have to call the reservation line. This not only increases your labor costs, it is very inconvenient. If I wait to add it at check in, how will the hotel property be prepared to assign me a room based on my status?

The previous website had several value-added, customer-friendly features. The new website is a clutter of confusion with no functionality.

superchief1 - here are the steps for adding a membership number once the reservation has been made:

Option 1

1. Within the reservation confirmation, click on the link, "Modify or cancel reservation," and you will be connected to a page entitled "Upcoming Reservations."
      2. Click the link "Add Marriott Rewards number to this reservation," sign-in and membership will automatically be added.

Option 2

1. Go to Marriott.com and sign in.
      2. Click "Upcoming Reservations" in the grey My Account box.
      3. Then click "Search for reservation," enter the confirmation number and click on the magnifying glass.  You will be connected to the "Upcoming Reservations" page.
      4. Follow directions above.

superchief1 Platinum

Thank you very much for your help. Has this feature recently returned to the website? I had been able to do this in the past with my Marriott Vacationclub reservations, but was not able to do it a few weeks ago for several reservations that our corporate travel had forgotten to input my MR # for. This problem occurred after a recent 'upgrade' to the site. 

Greetings cjkatl - you bring up a valid point and we'll have a fix deployed in the coming months. We'll be making the missing stay request easier to find instead of disappearing like you mentioned. In the meantime, guest services will be able to help with your stay request at 801-468-4000 or https://www.marriott.com/rewards/customer-support.mi Thanks for your patience!

• Website Rant
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Here's what I have never liked about the website:  You can't see your rewards number unless you navigate to the member profile page.  If I need to call Marriott with a question or concern about a new or existing reservation, what is the first thing I am going to be asked?  My rewards number, of course.  Actually, back up before that.  You're looking at a hotel or an existing reservation, and you have a question.  Where is the elite customer service line?  Good question.  It's on the website, but try and find the webpage.  It's not on the page you're on.  Then after wandering around, you finally find the elite customer service line, pick up the phone, and the first thing you have to provide is your rewards number.  Try and find that on the website.  More website wandering.  Finally, there it is on the member profile page.  Okay, now your speaking to a customer service representative, and you've lost your reservation data (dates, conf#, etc.), because you've navigated away from it (it's like, 6 expired pages back from where you are currently at).  So then I am compelled to apologize (wait a minute while I find that information for you) as they're probably thinking, why isn't this person prepared?

If Marriott isn't too concerned about the inconvenience, maybe they might at least be concerned that they are paying their telephone customer service representatives to sit idly as they wait for the customer to re-acquire the information needed for the conversation.

I don't like to nit pick on little things, but since it is a consistence and recurring annoyance thought I'd mention it in case there are others who share the same frustration.  I know there is a lot to pack into a 17" webpage, and I can sort of understand not wanting to broadcast a member's account number, but I'm certain that any company would want to make their revenue and marketing tools as user friendly as possible, and that should include the web presence.

Sometimes if you use the back arrow in a browser you can see all the stuff that is allegedly private information clear as day

Thanks for the feedback pluto77 - I'll make sure the right folks get your input and we'll look into making the Elite customer service lines more available too.

cjkatl Platinum

Enough time has gone by for me to believe the floating sign-in box is gone for good. Thank you, Marriott, for listening to your customers on this. Hopefully this was a wake-up call to Marriott management that letting an IT department run amok drives away customers. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Please, Marriott, as you move forward with your Website, put "easy for customers to use" at the top of the list and remove "razzle dazzle" all together. Remind your IT people that we go to your site to take care of a necessary task: making hotel reservations. It's not the highlight of our day, nor is it something we want to waste time doing. It's a necessary task. As our business partner, your site should allow us to do that task as quickly, easily and clearly as possible. If it doesn't, we won't go to your site for that task. If it weren't easy to buy things on Amazon, we wouldn't buy things on Amazon. If you walked into a McDonald's expecting a fast hamburger, but instead were forced to watch commercials as you tried to find the ordering counter, next time, you'd go to Wendy's. The idea that throwing noise around the site will make us purchase more is trumped by the idea that if the site is too difficult to use, we will stop using it.

Again, thank you for considering the customer feedback and removing the annoying moving box.

well said

Since I too no longer having to deal with jumping boxes, I do think the problem is fixed.

cjkatl Platinum

Thank you, Marriott, for fixing one of the worst features of the horribly updated site. As of this weekend, it appears the Wheel of Idiocy that only allowed you to see a line or two of information for a maximum of three upcoming reservations has been replaced with an easy to read chart that gives a more appropriate level of information. What we see now may be plain, but it's easy to use and customer friendly.

Hopefully those that were responsible for the previous changes have been put in positions for which they are better suited, like sitting stationary in a quiet room, and the new web designers will keep customers in mind when making changes. I look forward to seeing the site become as good as it was a few years ago. Thank you, again, Marriott, for correcting your mistake.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I really like the new way our upcoming Marriott reservations are presented.  cjk, you are right about the chart being user friendly. 

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Many of us are pleased with being able to see all our reservations and they are clickable.  I just hope they continue since there is more work to be done.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I agree. Kudos to Marriott for this change. It is much appreciated.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I agree too.  The new upcoming reservations page is so much easier to use now!

Glitch city for sure.  I am almost never sure that I can get into the site, and when I do, I find little gremlins lurking on the page.  Just for fun was the b-roll as your browser goes through the motions of getting to your account--strange and wonderful little things pop up as you do, some which seem to be internal to Marriott!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...