35 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2012 12:05 AM by jasper100 RSS

Frustrated to the point of calling Hilton to inquire about switching

jroes006 Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

For the first time I actually called Hilton to discuss their program and see if it was worth switching.  They will bump me to Diamond Status immediately and from what my co workers say they actually get acknowledged when they enter the hotel.  Besides collecting more points I rarely see the benefits with being a Platinum Premier.  Half the time it isn't even noted and I've only been upgraded a hand full of times.  Upgrades aren't a big deal for me when I travel, but it's just me so any room will do.  My issue is when I actually want to vacation and get an upgrade for my family good luck.  The program should allow for a number of suite upgrades after 100 nights stayed or something.  Two guaranteed upgrades a year would satisfy me.  For now I am going to get bumped to the diamond status for Hilton and try out a few of their hotels to see what I think.  We shall see where it goes from there....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Frustrated to the point of calling Hilton to inquire about switching
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

jroes006

many of us Insiders can understand your frustration.  Hilton, like Marriott is a fine company and you may or may not find it more to your liking, but will likely find the stays about the same.  The recognition factor is a pet peeve of mine and would seem to be such an easy fix.  Nonetheless, the fix seems elusive. The upgrade issue seems to be gaining some momentum, what with competitors raising the bar, but this issue will take a proclamation for Marriott corporate to get any real results.  By all means, let us know how the Hilton experiment works out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Frustrated to the point of calling Hilton to inquire about switching
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Give it a chance and if you can let us know after

beantown23 Platinum 8 Reviews

I too have thought about switching... Every time i want to use my points to stay at a Marriott Resort or more upscale Marriott branch i can't!!! it has to be the most frustrating thing. WHY do i earn all these points to stay nowhere? even with Platinum status i can't book some hotels weeks in advanced. I thought they were suppose to keep some rooms available for this exact reason. I guess i won't be enjoying spring training this year.....

westof30 Platinum

jroes,

I understand your frustration.  I have converted three diamond members to Marriott, Two of the three are coworkers.  Every time Marriott does not live up to its billing, or when you read the fine print it states: varies form location, if available, or even when they guarantee a room 72 hours out but then try to book three weeks out, get told we have permission for Marriott HQ to block these request.  What good is a guarantee or promise if not kept 100%.

Anyway, when I have threaten to leave Marriott my two coworkers that I converted will not allow me.  They have stated its the same over there, just give brand x enough time and rope and you'll fell the same.  In there opinion the main difference is the ability to use the points earned for either stays, gifts, travel or whatever it is easier at Marriott.

Hang in there, even though I do not agree with the next statement; not everything is perfect when its free...  I will myself make that same statement "thats it I'm switching to brand x" at least twice this year.  When you stay as many times as we do, its just going to happen,  Yes, I would love to see change as you would too.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

If everybody who threatens to leave did so, my chances of more upgrades would be better.

ArthurD3 Platinum 8 Reviews

like everyone here I feel your frustrations. So far this year I have stayed at a Marriott property for 5 of the 9 weeks so far and I just canceled my next 4 months reservations. That's right I canceled I was booked for 6 months(every week of every month Feb-Aug) straight.It's frustrating when I can't even use the points to book at a hotel in NY when I fly my family in, that I am going to Hilton. Hope they treat me better. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Arthur, you made my point.  Instead of just whining and threatening, you did something about your dissatisfaction.  All the best to you.  I look forward to hearing back from you on how it goes with Hilton.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I joined Hilton when my frustations making reward stays with Marriott crossed me over the edge. 

Haven't experienced any reward stay issues with Hilton.  Even when I could only book 4 of my 5 nights in Venice with them, upon calling the hotline, they made sure that I could book my extra desired nights at the same hotel.  They did tell me that I might have to change rooms but that didn't happen... I just got 2 check in gifts instead!  Yea! 

And, they have a free CL with breakfast, all day snacks, appetizers/light dinner/deserts/and with free alcohol.  Everything is done very well!  7 days a week.

Marriott needs to take a lesson here.

jroes006 Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm booked with Marriott through April and then I'll probably split my time. We will see I guess. I'm not looking for FREE upgrades when I vaca with the family. Let me use extra points to upgrade to a suite. A lot of times you ask to even drop a little cash on top of the points and that option isn't available. It seems like Marriott always has set aside some of the smallest rooms for points use. I would think it very rare that people use these points for anything other than personal pleasure so often times they have there families along and need bigger rooms. Word is at Hilton you can use extra points for suites. I'm going to make a few calls to confirm and check out there website before I do anything drastic. I love Marriott, I just want to be able to experience the best of Marriott with my family.

Well said.  Hope Marriott sees the vslue in this not just in terms of cash outlays

Doesn't it seem that the rhetoric has gone up several decibels regarding Upgrades and peoples dissatisfaction about the lack thereof?  I don't disagree with Husker when he say's 'put up or shut up' to those that are dissatisfied, but wouldn't all of us prefer that Marriott was the one challenged to "put up or shut up"?  When the finish line in moving, those in the race need to find an extra kick to stay competitive.  In my opinion, it's not enough to say this or that issue is "on our radar".  In fact, I find it insulting that an issue is on their radar, but no action is being taken. I understand the need to keep plans private until action is imminent, but when the competition has passed you by, strategy goes out the window and action is the only solution.  I want to stay a loyal Marriott customer, but need a little here.  All i want is for Marriott to be on par with the benefits their competitors are offering......

I feel we're being taken for granted at times Shoeman, and that our sincere comments are sometimes seen as complaints at HQ--they can respond if they see this not to be true--but they are sincere.  I realize that a huge organizations moves glacially but this is not a too-hard-to-do kind of thing.

Like the missing or late PP kits it seems that doing things for the most loyal ought to be at the top of the list.

Good point!  As usual, you take the emotion out of the issue and simply present the issue.  thanks.

I think we're emotional about this nonetheless, but sincere, Thanks

Here are the facts as they pertain to my stays/upgrades since 1Jan.  4 nights at Marriott's, 1 of those nights upgraded to concierge level with comp breakfast on weekend, 2 of the nights upgraded to a junior suite at the buttes, 2 nights in FFI, one paid (no upgrade), and one cat 2 on points which was upgraded to a very nice suite.  No complaints here so far.  Oh, and 1 night at a SHS, no upgrade.  And at both Marriott's and one of the FFI, thanked and recognized at arrival.  But, I have an advantage...I always wear my Husker jacket at check in.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Be careful nuhusker,

Now that the secret's out, every MI member at every Marriott they check into, will now be wearing a Husker jacket at checkin!  I should go order mine now.  Where do I order it, at www.nuhusker.com ?

Tryt, HA!  The husker nation is always open for business.  But it is amazing at how many husker fans there are all over the country.  Who knows...maybe it has been the jacket that worked for me on occasion. 

so husker, now I can understand why you are so pleased with the status quo..........  good for you!  send some of that my way.

Well, I suppose you can say I'm satisfied.  When I do stay at a hotel, it's always a Marriott of some sort.  Fewer stays however, as I wind down toward retirement.  No intention of switching allegiance now or looking for comp'ed status from a competitor.  I do agree with both you and tef about the seemingly slow pace that Marriott HQ seems to be taking toward addressing some of the great, yet cheap to implement, suggestions from Insiders.  You're right...they are behind the power curve.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Shoeman:

I think you raise an extremely good point with the 'it's on our radar' sentiment offered up from Marriott without a follow up. With all the changes being made by the competition, why can't Marriott just address with reality what their story is. They dangle that proverbial 'carrot' with certain program amenities, but, as many have pointed out, don't deliver when the time comes to provide them. Action is the answer and it would be nice if Marriott would just provide the clarity.....good or bad.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Well said Shoeman...Marriott need to pick up their "game" as they will continue to lose business if they do not stay up with their competitors. I know for a fact they have lost a good amount of my business because their competitiors gave me better options. For example, Hyatt gives me 4 suite upgrades per year and reciprocated me to their top status. Lost business for the Marriott.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...